Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Kite with Low V Bar

Forum for kitesurfers
SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Kite with Low V Bar

Postby SMJ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:43 am

Steve271 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 am
So what am I doing wrong?
My XR5s hardly ever land in storage position when I flag out to side in higher winds- (one of our local spots is drift launch only). core kites & core bars.
I usually find myself reeling in an upside down kite that still wants to fly.
Hi Steve271,
It takes a little planning when connecting your two center lines prior to launch. You want the safety line to be on top when you hit the release. So if you're bringing the kite down on the left side of the window, you want your front safety line connected to the right side of the kite (while viewing the kite in the sky) which would be the left side if rigging your lines downwind (which is what is taught in most schools now). So easy way to remember - land left, rig safety left. Land right, rig safety right. Again, this is if you rig your lines downwind of the kite.

Now if it's REALLY blowing, it doesn't matter. Your kite may flip over and roll downwind and you'll have to fight it.

Another trick is start walking backwards rapidly as soon as you flag out to keep tension on the safety line at all times. If it slacks at all it will likely roll. Rest the wingtip directly on the water prior to flagging.
Last edited by SMJ on Thu May 06, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
Steve271 (Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 am

Delta99 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 pm
grigorib wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:48 pm
Rode XR on low V bar and it worked just fine. High Y is unsafe
Could you expand on this a bit? Why is it unsafe? In general or this specific bar? I only have low Y but I would like to understand for future reference. Thanks!
For any high-Y bar whenever you need to self-land you can only pull one center line, not the other. Same becomes inconvenience if person launching you messed up when picking up the kite and threw a line over/under the kite and you need to uninvert bar. Low V is pretty much standard. High Y will phase out just as fifth line on LEI kites did

Core bars are nice and well designed, besides high-Y
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Delta99 (Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 pm)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm

[/quote]
SUPER DIREKT must be a very German thing so they didn't spell it in English :lol:
[/quote]

:lol: "SUPER DIREKT" is 200 % more direct than "SUPER DIRECT". And "DIREKT" is patented by CORE :roll:

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 am
High Y will phase out just as fifth line on LEI kites did
Which kite brand used to have high y and doesn't have it now anymore then?
And fifth line is still existing on kites.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 pm

dice wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 pm
grigorib wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 am
High Y will phase out just as fifth line on LEI kites did
Which kite brand used to have high y and doesn't have it now anymore then?
And fifth line is still existing on kites.
Slingshot used to have high-Y setup. I used that bar to line-mount a camera further up to get better angle.
North used to have 5th line bar which some liked, but good luck flying inverted kite on 5-line bar.

To repeat my statement: High-Y setup is less safe, a mess to uninvert the bar (even on land), makes it harder to self land and belongs to the history of kiteboarding as a “good try”.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
kitexpert (Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 am)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri May 07, 2021 11:24 am

FS had it a long time ago. Low V is simpler and has only advantages so no need to use anything else.

Perhaps some brands try to tie customers to their own bars, only reason why I see those systems still exist. Many people believe, they want to believe

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Interesting topic! I use a Click bar on my Duotone kites.
I have been in doubt for a long time about flying my Duotone Rebels on the low V, does anyone have experience with that and can explain the difference in feel compared with the Y?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm
I have been in doubt for a long time about flying my Duotone Rebels on the low V, does anyone have experience with that and can explain the difference in feel compared with the Y?
If you believe hard that Rebel flies worse with low V it certainly can feel worse then, and vice versa.

For kite it is pretty much same if front lines pull few degrees tighter or wider angle, difference is very small in current systems. Line length is much more significant for how kite behaves and feels.

It is another question if front line - back line length ratio remains the same when changing from high Y to low V. If line set lengths are measured (calibrated) similarly to equal length (trimmer open, bar sheeted fully in) they certainly aren't same: high Y front lines go through the bend which makes them effectively shorter. So you have to make some adjustment for back lines if you change from high Y to low V (assuming they are similarly calibrated to same length)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri May 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Steve271 wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 am
So what am I doing wrong?
My XR5s hardly ever land in storage position when I flag out to side in higher winds- (one of our local spots is drift launch only). core kites & core bars.
I usually find myself reeling in an upside down kite that still wants to fly.
It is a frequently reported flaw of CORE´s flag-out system, it seems to be a question of luck if the kite flags out or not.
Better chose another bar with proper single front line safety. Works well with all Core kites.

Core keeps on claiming that their flag-out system is superior. Which they did with their old rotating QR. Until they dumped it to make the common and proven push-away QR instead. Same will happen to their flag-out system sooner or later.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Fri May 07, 2021 1:18 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 pm
Leon van Bergen wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:07 pm
If you believe hard that Rebel flies worse with low V it certainly can feel worse then, and vice versa.

For kite it is pretty much same if front lines pull few degrees tighter or wider angle, difference is very small in current systems. Line length is much more significant for how kite behaves and feels.

It is another question if front line - back line length ratio remains the same when changing from high Y to low V. If line set lengths are measured (calibrated) similarly to equal length (trimmer open, bar sheeted fully in) they certainly aren't same: high Y front lines go through the bend which makes them effectively shorter. So you have to make some adjustment for back lines if you change from high Y to low V (assuming they are similarly calibrated to same length)
Thanks for taking time to reply but I asked a completely different question. I've never talked about believing hard in flying worse...?

Again, i asked if anyone with the same setup has changed from Y to V before and i like to hear their findings..

Return to “Kitesurfing”