Forum for kitesurfers
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Upgrade my ancient GK Sonic bars

Postby faklord » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Herman wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:20 pm
Buying 3 chicken loops would be expensive, cheapest suitable is probably one of the Jeely, the one for naked rope rather than tubing.

However, In your position I would go for the infexion seat belt qr and get 3 metal rings. Just mho.

You will probably need to learn how to splice in order to modify the bars cheaply,
^ +1. If you've got 2 or 3 bars to fix: https://www.infexion.eu/product-categor ... k-release/ may be the best option.

If your set on normal type QRs, this may be worth a look https://www.kiteattitude.fr/en/24-aka-chicken-loop.
AKA 2 works fine but the swivel isn't very free running.
AKA 3 has fixed this but it costs quite a bit more. Oddly its actually cheaper to buy the parts separately:
- AKA 3 upgrade kit €29 (this includes most of the QR parts)
- AKA chicken loop €25 (If you don't need the donkey dick you could DIY this with a bit of PU tube and spliced dyneema)
- AKA elastic €7 (should be able to DIY this!)
- Upgrade kit to AKA v2 €18.90. (this is only way I can see to purchase the 'T bone" - the swivel is not needed. might be worth asking if they can supply T bone separately?)
Total €79.90 - with a potential to knock ~ €30 off, with a bit of DIY.
The only other parts you need are two m4 x 22mm cap head screws + nuts (stainless steel). Easy find on eBay.

good luck

stylo2000
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: GK Sonic
Been thanked: 0

Postby stylo2000 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:29 pm

Thanks for the helpful replies - will look into things and on ebay

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:57 pm

+1 for Infexion's seatbelt QR!
You need just one QR that stays attached to your harness. The depower line of the bar terminates with a O-ring.

Updating the trim system - £12/set clam cleat + aero base, ask Herman where to get it from:
viewtopic.php?t=2409704

The power bracket from here:
https://shop.northkb.com/north/power-br ... ball-80753

Or check Evan/Infexion post here how to make a 'soft' power bracket from lines.

I think you can fit in £150 and have 3 modern bars with short QR, proper depower trim and a reliable single front line safety.

stylo2000
Rare Poster
Gear: GK Sonic
Been thanked: 0

Postby stylo2000 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 pm

Yeah the seatbelt QR looks like the one - I just need to fit on a steel ring with some decent knot or simple loop connection (will take a closer look at what I have).

The trim strap I have is OK - no need really to change that unless I have to.

My current safety line I used to connect onto my harness I guess this can connect into the little ring on the Seatbelt QR?

Anyway, I fired some pics and questions to Infexion - I imagine they're real busy with their latest shipments as I think they just got new stock in.

cheers for all the suggestions, looks like this is going to be OK after all.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Having your flag line going through the bar dugout and through a chicken loop or onto the qr collar as in the infexion allows you to loop and spin the bar without tangling kite leashes. You should find it a big improvement if you loop. It does wear the flag line more than old systems so you have to keep an eye on them but it is well worth having to replace a bit sooner imho.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
stylo2000 (Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Just keep in mind that the safety line on the GK Sonic was what was called a mini 5th line. It's not really a flag out line, it's just pulling both front lines and creating about 1.5m differential with the steering lines. Which typically was fine to kill most of the power on bridled kites, and to allow easy relaunch afterwards. You can stick with that, or move to a flag out line system, which will kill more power, but will potentially result in a few spins of the flagged out kite, and a bit more uncertainties in the reset phase. There's no right or wrong, both systems have merit, but just be aware of what you have, how it works and the limitations of each system. There is still a fair bit of pull when you're attached to 11m of fabric in 40kts, even if the mini 5th depowers it to the max, it is not flagged.

Note that on the GK Sonic, you could also clip your safety leash to the sliding ring on the "mickey mouse" swivel thingy at the V of the front lines, and therefore transforming from a mini fifth to the flag out system, which was handy for self landing. Could be something you also do if you feel like there's more of a risk, if the weather starts to look a bit funny, darker clouds, rain band approaching, etc..., or before coming near obstacles on the shore, etc... You have more of an emergency terminal release system, but on the other hand, you'd get some leash wraps if you were to keep doing rotations the same way.

Pretty much the same thing some people would do when they decide to ride "suicide" vs flag out. The key here is to do it well ahead of a riskier situation.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
stylo2000 (Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Ahhhhh the ye ol GK Sonics...

Coming from Naish Aero II's these kites were a dream. Super tough, zero bar pressure, and would jump big.

The bars, like most from that era, were a huge, clunky, disaster.You could remove all the lines and hardware to use as a makeshift bludgeon!

The best feature of it was the hair trigger QR that could pop open if you just grazed it with a finger.
Got me into some great predicaments...
I'd skip reusing if it were me.

For what it's worth, the bags were awesome.
I still use one to carry a ton of crap to the beach.

Return to “Kitesurfing”