stylo2000
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: GK Sonic
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Upgrade my ancient GK Sonic bars

Postby stylo2000 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Hey - have been away from kiting for a good few years but looking to get back to it.

Kites are GK Sonic (I think 2007 as have an "07" in the O of Sonic) sizes 8/11/14

Control bars and lines in good nick but need to replace the safety/chickenloop with a push away system. Is it possible to maybe replace this below the swivel with a different manufacturer's kit?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BTDccta1sTeT22hi9

cheers

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Re: Upgrade my ancient GK Sonic bars

Postby Sun » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:58 pm

I can only seem to see one photo in the album, and the QR, bar, and most of the trim system is out of view.

Just be aware, buying replacement parts to get the safety up to modern standards may only save about $75 versus buying a used modern bar. To me, that is $75 very well spent.

I remember really liking the Sonic. If those bladders hold, it should still be fun. New gear is better, but you have what you have.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
stylo2000 (Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

stylo2000
Rare Poster

Postby stylo2000 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW

Postby Sun » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Three important questions:

1) Where are you located? Let us know if in US/Canada (Or not) so that we can send you links to shops that you can buy from.

2) How much are you thinking this will cost?

3) How handy are you? To get this working with modem systems, you will probably need to splice your own lines and work with a bungee safety line. I cannot see a simple off-the-shelf kit working.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
stylo2000 (Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

stylo2000
Rare Poster

Postby stylo2000 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:27 pm

OK cheers

Am in the UK
Cost - not a big problem just looking for any options really that avoid putting a bar and lines in landfill
Pretty handy - was hoping I could attach an alternative under the swivel - seems to be simple rope loop connections there

If it's 75 or 150 I'm OK with 150 for a used bar/line setup - will take a look ay used gear as well but I do need this for both bars

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW

Postby Sun » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 pm

My go-to for these situations is the Ozone Megatron CL. It terminates in a knot past the CL rope, very easy to retrofit. But I cannot find one in stock in the UK.

https://ozone-uk.com/product/ozone-mega ... ickenloop/

This shop has a lot of parts, like the Click-In retrofit kits that you could fiddle with, but they are expensive.

https://www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk/cata ... rts-122852

If you can find a Megatron for about £40 then the rest of the lines can be got easy enough to make it work.

I know the feeling though. Good lines are a pain to waste. Hate dumping stuff that can be saved.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 pm

I am in the uk, Merseyside, and make up lines sets, and service bars of many brands and years,I can do any bar from any year and have many bars now in my bar repair hospital waiting for donor parts, 2 of them very much like the one you have, with the safety on the long wrist leash line like yours,
but there is a point where the cost is just not justified,the most common big problem is the quick release, they are not cheap, but are available and will fit your bar, converting the parts above the bar can be done at a cost or with donor parts, but the killer one that many miss is the wear around the bar center hole, I have shown guys this problem on bars they have passed to me for service and given them back saying I wont touch it as the wear has gone too near the edge of the bar, no longer a hole just a big bad cavity, some of these bars even had the replaceable sacrificial bar hole slide, with 2 screws holding it in place,they never realised it was there, and the bar was in danger of failing in a wipe out due to the excessive wear,
I could repair it but the cost would not be economical without donor parts, and I am hoping one day I find some for the bars lurking in the corners of my workshop. good luck.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Sun wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:30 pm
My go-to for these situations is the Ozone Megatron CL. It terminates in a knot past the CL rope, very easy to retrofit. But I cannot find one in stock in the UK.

https://ozone-uk.com/product/ozone-mega ... ickenloop/

This shop has a lot of parts, like the Click-In retrofit kits that you could fiddle with, but they are expensive.

https://www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk/cata ... rts-122852

If you can find a Megatron for about £40 then the rest of the lines can be got easy enough to make it work.

I know the feeling though. Good lines are a pain to waste. Hate dumping stuff that can be saved.
More QRs like the Megatron mentioned above are needed but I don't see it happening.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Buying 3 chicken loops would be expensive, cheapest suitable is probably one of the Jeely, the one for naked rope rather than tubing.

However, In your position I would go for the infexion seat belt qr and get 3 metal rings. Just mho.

You will probably need to learn how to splice in order to modify the bars cheaply,

pebbles
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pebbles » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:01 am

Ask some locals if they have any extra bars laying around. I have 2 extra, but I'm in the US.

Return to “Kitesurfing”