Favorite Beaches: Cherry beach - Lake Simcoe - Brazil
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Contra 15m - Vulture 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Which is the best for a beginner?

Postby ADLucio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:15 pm

Hello all,
I hope you are all doing well...

I am starting as a beginner with kitesurfing and I would like to have a advice from all of you if possible.
I did more than 20 hs at the beach with a instructor and Finally I am ready to buy my own equipment. I am still working on riding up wind but I think that I need just to practice more to get better and better.

After research and bargaining a lot, I found a price which I can fit in my budget. I decided to buy a brand new package with all the equipment ready to ride...

Here is the question...
Between the Cabrinha Contra 15m and Slingshot GT 14m, which one will be the best for light wind condition? I am going to kitesurf in Toronto where the wind is pretty light all year.
I am 5,9ft at 185lbs.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which is the best for a beginner?

Postby mplamplampla » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Because you said light winds I would go with contra that is made for light wind conditions where the slingshot is a do it all kite.
These users thanked the author mplamplampla for the post:
ADLucio (Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Which is the best for a beginner?

Postby Blackened » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 pm

ADLucio wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:15 pm
Hello all,
I hope you are all doing well...

I am starting as a beginner with kitesurfing and I would like to have a advice from all of you if possible.
I did more than 20 hs at the beach with a instructor and Finally I am ready to buy my own equipment. I am still working on riding up wind but I think that I need just to practice more to get better and better.

After research and bargaining a lot, I found a price which I can fit in my budget. I decided to buy a brand new package with all the equipment ready to ride...

Here is the question...
Between the Cabrinha Contra 15m and Slingshot GT 14m, which one will be the best for light wind condition? I am going to kitesurf in Toronto where the wind is pretty light all year.
I am 5,9ft at 185lbs.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Welcome!

There are an endless series of beginner questions exactly like this throughout this forum. It usually devolves into a shitfight where a bunch of nobs argue over their own opinions. The things we appear to agree on here is:

1. Talk to the locals - they know your wind conditions the best. Look what others are riding in the same conditions. We can only give general ideas of what we do in our conditions and most often, they're wildly different than yours.
2. Bigger the better when it comes to TT boards and learning. If you are in lightwind conditions (sub 15kn), probably a lightwind board would be best. Again, talk to the locals and the local shops.

There's a youtube channel called "Our Kite Life" that you should probably watch in regards to Toronto. They have a lot of information relative to your local area.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
ADLucio (Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”