Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Training Kites - Why do they differ from Kitesurfing Kites?

Forum for kitesurfers
inHell
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Airush DNA 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Training Kites - Why do they differ from Kitesurfing Kites?

Postby inHell » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:29 pm

Dear Community,

my sister and I are just taking up our new hobby of Kitesurfing. After we finished our 9h course in Egypt we bought us equipment in order to practice, practice and practice until we get to a point where its useful to take another course. I have to add that the course in Egypt went very poorly: little to no theory, bad instruction, sometimes contradictory, no patience, harsh and unfair communication and the rush to finish the course while going through all the steps. This is why we decided to buy us our own gear, educate ourself and just head out and practice (we learned so much more by just watching good instructors on youtube).
Its a lot at once and as a beginner its hard to start building up the awareness in so many areas like feeling the weather, controlling the kite and handling the board.

My sister and I think that we should take our time to really learn how to control the kite, build up some muscle memory before we try to get on the board again. This is why we decided to buy a training kite to use our free time to increase this ability and awareness.
As we were searching for training kites I noticed that they differ from the normal kites which are used in Kitesurfing. They are foil kites, non-inflatable kites and are more like PG (Paragliding Kites) which inflate by air moving through them.
- Why is this the case?
- What are the differences between the kites and what do we have to expect from a training kite if its non-inflatable?

If I want to train with a kite I think its reasonable to train with a kite that is almost the exact thing i'll use later on the water except the size ofc.
I know that the bar is there but it feels like there are differences in regards of structure and its behavior in air.

Please educate a noob like me. Also here is a link to a training kite we found, maybe one of you can tell me if it suits our goal.
I also wanted to add that we are aware of the dangers in teaching ourself. I don't know how this community feels about this but tips and advise in this regard are always helpful (if they are constructive). We know all the safety rules, we know that we have to pick the weather and location carefully and that we need to learn handling the kite to increase our safety.

I hope I didn't bored You with the additional information besides the initial topic question. For the ones that bothered, I hope the highlighting helps :)

All the best
Rick

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Re: Training Kites - Why do they differ from Kitesurfing Kites?

Postby Sceotend » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:47 pm

I don't know the reason. There aren't very small LEIs AFAIK. I guess the power is just too low for other than nuclear winds.

I would definitely buy a small depower kite for practicing. Just make sure that it's not too windy. There are small single skins and ram airs.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:37 pm

They are cheap, easy to make & you can smash them into the ground with less chance of major damage. They are fine for learning about the wind window in the very beginning but you should move to a 4 line small depower kite fairly quickly.
3 or 4 companies make them. Ozone has a 2.5 Uno that would work but you won’t be able to use it to actually water kite with it unless you are 25 kilos or foil in high wind. They (and others, I’m sure) make slightly larger kites, maybe 4 or 6 meter single strut inflatable 4 line depowerable kites to play with as well. Best of luck with the new addiction.😳

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:41 pm

Ocean Rodeo have an inflatable 4-line trainer kite - https://oceanrodeo.ca/products/react
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm

The best kite to learn with I have found is the Flysurfer Peak 4. While it's not an inflatable it's still a "real" kite in every sense and you can crash it on the beach and not pop it. The Peak 4's steering response in light wind is lightyears ahead of anything else making it very beginner friendly to learn on in gentle conditions.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
knotwindy (Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:34 pm

Price. No one wants to pay a lot for a trainer kite that will only be used a few times really.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:43 am

It is a sad thing to read your experience in Egypt. Those "pros" running schools just to take your money away and sell you new gear with premium margin. To fool you..

A lot of your decision should be based on your location with wind atlas and water condition. It determines the kite-type and size and also if you can practice in safety. Big waves and high winds with 20cm volcanic pebble, well take a another course locally from your country and area, first ask around about the school or people running it. Don't be fooled by a beach bum living his dream.. There are also good schools, I am not saying that.

Trainer kite is kite with design of no pull on lines and kitesurf kite is the opposite. Besides steering the kite purpose is also learn the sheeting which 2-3 line trainer kites cannot teach, but 4-line trainers can like real power kites. Also with trainer kite you should learn all handling and malfunction of the kite (front stall, deathloop) with more safety as kite does not pull too much. But sure for playing around you can purchase very cheap 2-line small kite with handles and replace handles with stick. Practice flying at wind window, diving the kite to get pull, flying nice arcs to lengthen the dive to flying upward and keep some pull coming etc.

Modern trainer is the Peak4 kite which has many trainer like characteristics like not explosive pull even in the middle of power zone but it is a real kite moving you around. Although not recommended to be used on water it can be used. But like pointed out, it is cheap as new and almost in-destructable and can be used on snow&land as a beginner and water with some basic understanding and skill developed already.

With your 11m Airush (kite on your profile) you can practise, maybe 5m/s it flies properly so you can do steering and diving practises. Have a competition with your sister who can make longer skid-marks on sand on kite power to learn power development. If there is a cable wake boarding track near-by you could go there for a session with our twintip to learn ride the board if that is totally new to you.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:47 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm
The best kite to learn with I have found is the Flysurfer Peak 4. While it's not an inflatable it's still a "real" kite in every sense and you can crash it on the beach and not pop it. The Peak 4's steering response in light wind is lightyears ahead of anything else making it very beginner friendly to learn on in gentle conditions.
1+++

I was making living kite instructing - teaching countless friends and family. There is no better kite for learning. My friend have kiteschool and they use it even for water lesson /at some stage they switch to leis/

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:04 am

What would be the lifespan of an inflatable kite used for beginner courses? 3 days? Not to mention the safety aspect. I have been smashed by beginners on trainer kites several times. Just annoying. A small LEI and I could imagine that would have been rather painful.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:35 pm

just because you had a bad experience with one 'teacher' doesn't mean they all suck, find another one. if there are truly no other choices where you are, then videos and chat with other kiters will have to do. at least it's good that you understand instruction is extremely helpful for you (and those around you).

training kites are not only NOT that different from kitesurfing kites, but sometimes they're one and the same. I use training kites Ozone Uno 4m and 6M for foiling regularly. And the 6m for crazy windy surf sessions. I also use Peaks, but would not recommend going out on water with a Peak as a beginner, for the sole reason beginners put their kites in the water often, and Peaks aren't easy/good relaunchers. But overall, training kites are typically just very small kites and whether they're ram air or LEI doesn't matter.

Return to “Kitesurfing”