Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Changing kites...for the sake of it or an upgrade...?

Forum for kitesurfers
andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Changing kites...for the sake of it or an upgrade...?

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:51 am

So I have a 7m and 10m F-one Bandit 12's - the last year before they split into the (for me) somewhat confusing double line-up, plus a 13m Breeze V2. Honestly have nothing bad to say about the kites, they perform at least as well as I had hoped as all-round kites for mostly TT riding, bit of strapless, don't unhook, the usual stuff wave riding, boosting, not particularly impressive tricks, bit of looping but not particularly gung ho. Might consider foiling at some point but in no rush. All kites and bar/lines in excellent condition so hopefully still could get a reasonable price at this point since the newer versions are not much of an upgrade from what I can tell.
The range is perfect, I weigh 65kg so 13m good from 10 knots and occasionally slightly less at wind against tide locations, 7m I have had in 45 knot plus - not my best decision to go out on my own but could still just about hold it down and was still able to self-launch and land due to the very reliable nature of the Bandit. If I was being completely picky I might consider 13/10/6/8 or 13/11/9/7 for a perfect quiver.
Anyway considering just through boredom and working hard /spare cash whether to 'upgrade' possibly to a combo of Naish Pivots and possibly a Cabrinha Contra 13m for the light wind end. What might I hope for? Possibly boosting a bit higher on the Pivots, possibly slightly snappier light wind performance from the Contra. Not too bothered about the Aluula stuff, mainly because for me the perfect light wind kite is 13m and OR don't do one.
Question is whether the outlay is worth it? Would I need to consider smaller sizes for the Pivot ie 10/8/6 rather than just having a 7m for 25 knots upwards? Personal reports welcomed!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Changing kites...for the sake of it or an upgrade...?

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:56 am

Only you can answer that.

The oldest kite I can remember riding was one from 2014. I wonder if most riders would be able to tell if they blind-tested a fairly similar kind of kite from 2014 vs. 2020/2021. I'm not sure.

Maslow works in strange ways.

For me the argument for replacing kites, bikes, headphones etc. is typically because I like to experience for example the same music with a different set. Somewhat the same with kiting - even if I don't replace my kites often. Does it make sense? I guess it depends - what else would you spend the money on?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 am

andylc wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:51 am
Not too bothered about the Aluula stuff, mainly because for me the perfect light wind kite is 13m and OR don't do one.
I would not get to hung up on the size.
I would say aluula kites easily pulls above its size because it’s significantly faster due to its light weight and more speed equals more power. It will certainly be a LOT snappier if that’s what you are looking for.
There are plenty of other reasons not to consider an aluula kite (price being the most obvious one) but I would not get to hung up on sizing. The hybrid aluula crave might be a good compromise between price and aluula benefits but there haven’t been any reviews yet afaik.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 am

I think the Bandit is an excellent kite and the quiver you have does not hold you back whatsoever in progressing. I ride Pivots and my best kite buddy the Bandit, which I tried several times (the same model you have and the current version).

If you want to jump higher, I´d say work on your technique first (it´s all in the carving and pop, tons of info available for this).

The Pivot is a fantastic kite as well. If you change, go a meter down in size, meaning 10m Bandit --> 9m Pivot.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am

Very deep Havre!
In reality I'm answering my own question really - as Dirk says probably no need to change other than for the hell of it / fun of trying something new. Plus of course jumping high is more about controlling power and balls than the kite. I think I'll stick for another year or 3...
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Havre (Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 am

andylc wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am
Very deep Havre!
In reality I'm answering my own question really - as Dirk says probably no need to change other than for the hell of it / fun of trying something new. Plus of course jumping high is more about controlling power and balls than the kite. I think I'll stick for another year or 3...
So money is burning a hole in your pocket like many people? The risk is that after changing your kites for new shiny ones you could well be no better off on the beach, but with empty pockets.

The real problem, Andy, is that we're bored because there's no wind and nothing forecast for the rest of this month. :(

It's wind we need! :thumb:

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:23 am

Good point...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:44 am

I think if anyone is changing because they are expecting things to radically change - they will be in most cases disappointed (at least if we are talking about the same style of kite). Reminds me a bit of wheels on bikes. I got one road bike with very cheap wheels on it. If I were to sell them now I would probably get €20 for them or something. Then I got another bike where my new wheels are supposedly among the best you can get. You could easily ride the Tour de France with them. Is there a difference? Absolutely. But I mostly notice the difference when I move between one bike to the other. The last month I have only used my cheap bike and I don't even think about it.

I still buy stuff - but I have become quite good at knowing what to expect.

Very unfortunate if you deep down where looking for an excuse to spend the money - and not a discussion about it :wink:

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:45 am

iriejohn wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 am
ts.

The real problem, Andy, is that we're bored because there's no wind and nothing forecast for the rest of this month. :(

It's wind we need! :thumb:
Getting into foiling really helps to sooth the mind. :D

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am

Another excuse to spend money for sure!
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
iriejohn (Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”