knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Mako Size Recommendation

Postby knotwindy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:51 pm

If you want it to carve and boost you will probably be riding pretty powered up so the 140 will definitely be more fun. The 150 will, of corse, be heavier and duller and not jump as well. Sorry to disagree with most of the other posters here but hands down for your size & weight the 140 absolutely.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:01 pm

Gestalt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
For those who have Makos I'm curious how is the flex, load & pop aspects of the board? Can you do decent big air jumping with it? Curious how it compares to a board designed for jumping specifically.

Also curious about the weight for the Mako 150....anyone weigh theirs?
I'm trying to compare the Mako to Nomad wave boards. The Nomads appear to be quite a bit lighter, but the concave and rocker don't appear to be as aggressive based on photos. Would love to see a detailed spec comparison...or anyone has any experience comparing the rides of both.
Hi Gestalt,
You've hit on the two areas where the Mako falls flat on its face - flex & weight. They have no flex and rounded tips...ergo zero pop. They're also very heavy relative to standard twintips. For these reasons the Mako is no good for wakestyle / freestyle.

However, I've had a bunch of twintips over the years (bought and sold), and the Mako's are the ones that stand the test of time. I don't think I'll ever sell them, since they excel at what they do - tear through chop, fly upwind, and carve nice toe-side transitions. They also work just fine for sent jumps, but if you're after big air this is not the best board.

I reach for one of my Mako's whenever there are whitecaps on the bay or 1 - 4ft swells / waves on the ocean. They are definitely a niche board for riders that have to contend with less than optimal water conditions.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Just use your money wisely and get a Nomad!

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 pm

I have 150 Mako and 145 Nomad wave. I haven’t used the Mako much in the last two years. I won’t sell it as I think it’s a classic board and can be converted to mutant although I found that weird.

The Mako is excellent and very well built to high quality. It’s great in waves. I have enjoyed riding it and will do so again from time to time.

While my Nomad is same shape it’s a premium custom board tailored to me alone. Like having a surfboard shaped for your needs. Lovely flexi tips; as the board is a lot thinner than Mako which, combined with the material, make it much lighter and easier to throw around. I am much more confident with the Nomad and that makes my riding more enjoyable.

The choice is yours. Good luck with it.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 am

The Mako 140 for riding powered up. As you said you are an aggressive rider, if that means a big kite for conditions :o , then yeah, 140cm. The Mako doesn't need to flex to eat chop but that taco shape doesn't much flex anyway. To boost, you slide it off the water, not flex it and use the rebound to boost.

My two cents. :D

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 am

I weigh 65kgs and have owned many boards over the years. Within the Mako line I have owned a 135 and a 130. I still own the Mako 130 and will never sell it. It is like riding a skateboard and tons of fun to go fast and launch decent jumps with...if you can use a wave or chop as a kicker it will surprise you...if not just over send the kite and you will still boost.

I ride mostly overpowered and am usually in boots / bindings on a different board but I still dig out the mako 130 as it is a great board. Also, once you learn to ride it off your front foot when going upwind I don’t think it requires any more power than any other regular size TT.

I would try out the smallest Mako you can find and see for yourself.

surfinsmiley
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 82kg
Local Beach: Taranaki
Style: Surf & Big Kite boosting!
Gear: Turbine. WOW. Rally.
Has thanked: 0

Postby surfinsmiley » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:18 pm

Gestalt wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm
For those who have Makos I'm curious how is the flex, load & pop aspects of the board? Can you do decent big air jumping with it? Curious how it compares to a board designed for jumping specifically.
The easy way to think about it is, take a piece of paper and put a concave in it,... That alone eliminates all flex. Now imagine you put rocker into that shape. Zero flex! It is pretty much impossible to build that shape with flex patterns that flat boards have.

BUT! The brilliance of the design is the relationship between the relatively flat centreline which creates lift from the enormous concave and the extreme curve in the rail line that is the result of the planshape and rocker and concave combined.

Like baking a cake, if you get the ingredients just right, the end result is something special!

I like all boards. Most designs have merit. My personal favourite twintips are Makos because I can load far more line tension in less than ideal conditions. They hold a rail through any kind of turn and just like a good surfboard, you can vary the arc of the turn as situations dictate. I usually ride Makos when the surf is either flat or big bumpy onshore crap that is no fun at all on a surfboard. I have ditched all my more traditional twintips in the last few years...
These users thanked the author surfinsmiley for the post:
Gestalt (Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”