Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why did they stop making surfboards for fat guys?

Forum for kitesurfers
alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why did they stop making surfboards for fat guys?

Postby alfredo68 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:40 pm

tanre wrote:
    Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:19 am
    OK, so Im not fat...but, uh, large boned. Nah, actually in pretty good shape, but a big guy. For years been searching for directionals to kite with. Mitu used to have a 6'0" board. Now all the manufacturers stop at 5'10" and to add insult to injury, they actually publish that its for guys under 95kg. What about us who are over?!?!?!?

I have searched soooo MANY!!!

Jimmy Lewis 6'3" Canary is the only one I have found that comes close..and mine has been on back order for over a year:)

Runner up is North Charge at 5'11" and 29L of volume...and yep, you guessed it...made for under 95kg peeps again.

Just want a 6'0", or 6'1"...and maybe encroaching on 30L...is that too much to ask!!...ok, also would like em 23" wide:)

Rant over

Go Custom !!
    Generally speaking everyone is riding less volumen? Boards with not enough volumen to paddle them.
    I ride no more than 22 litres and 18” width ( weight 77 kg ) my biggest kite is a 10 and don t even try under 12/14 knots
    Remember is more important width than length. Eps floats more than PU ( but PU rides smoother)
    Go custom if u have a logic shaper in your area

tautologies
    Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm

tanre wrote:
    OK, so Im not fat...but, uh, large boned. Nah, actually in pretty good shape, but a big guy. For years been searching for directionals to kite with. Mitu used to have a 6'0" board. Now all the manufacturers stop at 5'10" and to add insult to injury, they actually publish that its for guys under 95kg. What about us who are over?!?!?!?

Jimmy Lewis 6'3" Canary is the only one I have found that comes close..and mine has been on back order for over a year:)

Runner up is North Charge at 5'11" and 29L of volume...and yep, you guessed it...made for under 95kg peeps again.

Just want a 6'0", or 6'1"...and maybe encroaching on 30L...is that too much to ask!!...ok, also would like em 23" wide:)

Rant over
    why tho? 30L is a lo for a surfboard, even if you are a big guy. Same, thing goes for the dimensions. I can definitely be considered part of your crew when it comes to big-bonyness, but I got the 5'7'' global and 5'4'' skater from Naish. The 5'4'' skater is plenty big enough in terms of floatyness, volume and size. It comes in at 29.9L I have used the board for wakesurfing too, and it rides well. The global I use for more powered riding and slightly bigger waves. Both of them I think works great.

Da Yoda
    Very Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2005
    Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
    Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm

tanre wrote:
    Would you be ok with a modern planing hull type surfboard (e.g. Tomo Evo) in a 5'11x21" @ 41.3L ? :lol:
    https://epoxysurfboards.com/product/tom ... surfboard/

If you're deadset on getting a high volume surfboard for kiting, going custom will be your best option. I'd definitely recommend XTR boards for their construction and shape options.
    https://epoxysurfboards.com/product-cat ... urfboards/
    https://epoxysurfboards.com/xtr-constru ... flex-tips/

Personally I think you should be considering a smaller surfboard (volume & shape) for kiting, but I'm not going to get into the details since it's a highly subjective topic. Good luck with your hunt! :thumb:

tanre
    Medium Poster
    Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
    Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
    Style: freestyle
    Gear: Best, Core, LF
    Has thanked: 0

Postby tanre » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:42 pm

Sorry all...I should have clarified. I was talking about KITE directionals. All my references were of kite surfboards.

Thx...will look into XTR custom

tanre
    Medium Poster

Postby tanre » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:49 pm

or6 wrote:
    Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 am
    You could approach apple tree. One of the owners is a pretty big guy. Maybe check out this board: https://appletreesurfboards.com/product ... oard/#size ?
    6’0″ 19.90″ 2.30″ 29.1 L >90 KG

tanre
    Medium Poster

Postby tanre » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
    Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm
    tanre wrote:
    Would you be ok with a modern planing hull type surfboard (e.g. Tomo Evo) in a 5'11x21" @ 41.3L ? :lol:
    https://epoxysurfboards.com/product/tom ... surfboard/

Dont think they make the Kite version over 5'3"

knotwindy
    Very Frequent Poster
    Local Beach: baja, gorge
    Style: erratic to none
    Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 am

Closest Tomo would be the Hydroshort Helium 5’8” 19 “ 28L
    But there have to be many other surfboards you can get used cheap and throw some extra glass on top.
    Yes it will weigh a bit more and be a bit stiffer but how do you think they make “kite surf boards”

Edit: just reread that and it sounded rude, sorry. Didn’t mean that, just meant that is how most companies make directional kiteboards anyway. So why not get the size/shape you want?

Da Yoda
    Very Frequent Poster
    Kiting since: 2005
    Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
    Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 am

FCD’s Shrike kite surfboard comes in a 6’x19” @ 29.7L
    http://www.fcdsurfboards.com/shrike

mattaiken MYS NKB
    Medium Poster
    Kiting since: 1996
    Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
    Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
    Gear: North/Mystic
    Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:50 pm

tanre wrote:

Rant over
    Good luck with the hunt!

On the Charge 5'11" my experience is that this board is the one for riders OVER 95kg. Less than 95KG and the 5'9" is brilliant. DM me if you want a public-body-shaming-free discussion on your needs.

tanre
    Medium Poster

Postby tanre » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm

[/quote]

Good luck with the hunt!

On the Charge 5'11" my experience is that this board is the one for riders OVER 95kg. Less than 95KG and the 5'9" is brilliant. DM me if you want a public-body-shaming-free discussion on your needs.
    [/quote]

Yeah, Im looking for boards for fay guys...OVER 95KG. I mentioned that to add insult to injury manufacturers publish the boards as being for guys UNDER 95kg...as in, not only did we shorten the boards worldwide, but now your too big to even rider our shorter boards:)

Return to “Kitesurfing”