Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Punta Cana looking for recomendations

Postby Grizwald » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Looking for recommendations. DR is open to tourism without having to have a cue-tip shoved into your brainstem.

How are the winds along Punta Cana during June / July / August. spots indicates it should be not bad but a personal experience is always valuable.
There are a bunch of all inclusive resorts along the beach at Punta Cana. Is there any one in particular that would make a good kiting destination for some time in June / July / August.
Anyone have any positive or negative interactions with any of the kite shops along that beach.

I know this should be in Travel but it seems the only ones that go there are Me, Toby and three other people.

thanks
Griz

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Re: Punta Cana looking for recomendations

Postby elguapo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:26 pm

recommendations for punta cana...

go there to stay in an all-inclusive resort...drink yourself silly.. to be the "normal" tourist.

but i would not travel there just to kitesurf.
you will be disappointed.

the better options for windsports in the DR will be found near monte cristi, las terrenas and puerto plata on the north coasts...none convenient from punta cana
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
LibertySky (Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Any reason not to go North?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:15 pm
Punta Cana during June / July / August.
You sure you want to go to Punta Cana in July / Aug?
Not sure where you are coming from but there has to be better options for that time of the year.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm

I was there in 2016, but it was January. Wind was decent at that time, but I was still a kook. I got a 36hr stomach bug at the resort which ruined a day and a half... it was probably from tainted ice in a drink, but no one else in my family group got sick.

LibertySky
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Local Beach: Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Big Air/Freeride
Gear: North Orbit

Postby LibertySky » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 pm

I live there last 5 years. Winds are good in winter. Summer is hot and slow. But at Cabarete its great time for kiting.
But if you'll decide to come - hit me up, maybe we can make some session together

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm

Looking for a place that would be a vacation for my wife where I could kite. Some friends told her they had a great time at Punta Cana and saw some people kiting. All inclusives are a treat for her but I would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than hang out around a pool with a bunch of fat tourists trying to prove how wild they are by drinking umbrella drinks and being rude to the wait staff.
Harve - I don't know of any all inclusives in the north if you have suggestions I am all ears.
Slappysan - I am open to other islands / countries as long as I don't have to quarantine when I get there. We are fully vaccinated with our laminated vaccination passports clutched to our bosoms and google translate loaded on our phones.
What I really want, is to be able to walk down to the water from my room or condo carrying my gear set up and go. I know that is a big ask but ...
By the way to anyone thinking of traveling check rental car prices. They are up 300% in Puerto Rico and up to 500% in Hawaii.
Thanks
Griz

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:25 pm
Looking for a place that would be a vacation for my wife where I could kite. Some friends told her they had a great time at Punta Cana and saw some people kiting. All inclusives are a treat for her but I would rather have a root canal with no anesthetic than hang out around a pool with a bunch of fat tourists trying to prove how wild they are by drinking umbrella drinks and being rude to the wait staff.
Harve - I don't know of any all inclusives in the north if you have suggestions I am all ears.
Slappysan - I am open to other islands / countries as long as I don't have to quarantine when I get there. We are fully vaccinated with our laminated vaccination passports clutched to our bosoms and google translate loaded on our phones.
What I really want, is to be able to walk down to the water from my room or condo carrying my gear set up and go. I know that is a big ask but ...
By the way to anyone thinking of traveling check rental car prices. They are up 300% in Puerto Rico and up to 500% in Hawaii.
Thanks
Griz
We stayed at the Paradisus resort, and it was very nice. Short walk to the beach. Regarding the pool/tourist issue, funny thing is, I don't even remember the pool... most everyone was on the beach IIRC. There was good kiting right there at the resort in the bay. Flatish on the inside, wavy on the outside.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Thanks
Griz
Not sure if any are all inclusive. But quite some development with new places in Cabarete. Some might be all inclusive.

I have always stayed at Millennium. Nice pool. Good deck chairs. Short walk down to the beach strip with restaurants. Also got a restaurant just next to Millennium.

If you are lucky she can watch Toby kiting right in front of Millennium.

Couldn't say what she would miss vs. Cana though.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:30 pm

Grizwald wrote:
Where are you coming from though?

Punta Cana is more of a winter destination to escape the cold of North America. July / Aug there is the rainy season and especially Aug will get crazy humid hot. You also have hurricane issues that get worse and worse the deeper in to summer you get.

Most of the Caribbean will be similar in the summer, hot, sticky and chance of hurricane.

Assuming you aren't from the US, otherwise you could just go to Hatteras.

Maybe NE Brazil would work (dunno what the quarantine issue is there though), I'm sure there is a place between Fortaleza and Jericoacaoara that would suit your wife and you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”