jocol
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Directional board to learn

Postby jocol » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking into starting with a directional board and I want to buy a board for that.

I have some questions:

- stap or strapless?
- recommended board size to learn?
- should I get a board to learn and then later on change for something more advanced?

I have the possibility to buy a second hand Cabrinha Spade 5.6 (around 300 EUR).
Is this a good board to learn?

I am around 75 Kg (165 lbs) and 1.82m.
I will start in flat water. Maybe eventually move on to waves.

Cheers!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Directional board to learn

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:57 pm

No problems using a directional - in fact a bit easier than with a TT.
I have been teaching new kitesurfers on directionals.
You can not jibe till later, but easy to just drop, turn the board around, and start the other way.

You will get many different views on straps or not.

But it is possible to use the board you will use later, for learning, as sizing is the same - no problems.
A more advanced board is not more difficult to ride.
The "real" problem will be, you dont know till after a long time, years most likely, WHICH waveboard you prefer.
But no reason to go for something "beginner" like - going for a low cost cheap one is a good idea, for learning.

If you ask me I would:

Start having straps, when you learn to kitesurf.

When you can ride reasonably back and fourth, take them off, so you learn how to handle and "feel" the board and edges and how weight distribution changes everything.

This way you will learn to master a directional, and now you are free to either continue without straps, or put straps on for more extreme and aggressive surfing and jumps if you like the latter.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
jocol (Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:01 pm) • PullStrings (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:11 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Spade is supposed to be ok... not the hardcore Waveboard, which is nice for the beginning.

Straps or not??? Ask 100 people and get 50/50.

I would say : start with straps! After two sessions you know what you like. Most windsurfers go strapped, most surfers strapless....
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:01 pm) • jocol (Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:01 pm)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Looks like you are from Europe, which means sadly you don't have access to the ultimate kite surfboard:

the Wave Bandit Perfomer 4-10!

If you can get your hands on one, don't hesitate, this board is legit.

Straps only complicate things so don't use them unless you specifically want to boost with the board strapped to your feet (opposed to using the wind to hold it there).

I've never tried the Cab Spade but based on how the Cab Secret Weapon was I would guess that it doesn't ride backwards very well. I'm a big fan of surfboards that ride well backwards and this is especially true during the learning phase if you have waves you might need to evade.

One of the best strapless boards for learning on is the Shinnster if you can get your hands on one. Super durable too so no worries with a used one. Best backwards riding surfboard there is. It's not much good for strapless airs though because it's a bit heavy. Still super smooth board and fun.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:59 pm

jocol wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 pm
Hi guys,

I am looking into starting with a directional board and I want to buy a board for that.

I have some questions:

- stap or strapless?
- recommended board size to learn?
- should I get a board to learn and then later on change for something more advanced?

I have the possibility to buy a second hand Cabrinha Spade 5.6 (around 300 EUR).
Is this a good board to learn?

I am around 75 Kg (165 lbs) and 1.82m.
I will start in flat water. Maybe eventually move on to waves.

Cheers!
So no need to go to intermediate boards...surfboards aren't advanced or not advanced IMO, but they have a ton of different qualities. If your goal is not lightwind cruising, but waves personally I would start with a smaller board and ride it lit. Makes it way easier to get the hang of. I would definitely get a board with footstrap inserts because then you can test with or without straps. I would get a fairly skinny board to begin with.

I would think through how you imagine riding..powered, big waves, small waves, slashy, surfy...etc then look for shapes that would support it. One thing to note is that boards that works in reasonably big waves will work to some extent in smaller waves too, but not the other way around (boards that are very gunny only works in big waves).

The size 5'6'' might be good. I love the 5'7'' naish global..its all round but holds big waves easily. Not sure how close the spade is to that. I looked it up, the 2021 spade is quite a big board with lots of volume. For you I think that would be a small wave board because of its width. Could be a decent strapless board?

Again think about how you'd like to ride the board, then go back and look for shapes.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi- Directional beginner here. I started 2 years ago. just sharing my experience:
- before going strapless learn to jibe on TT, then you do not have to stop- just jibe on surfboard- it is even easier than TT- board just turns itself.
- point above solves strap question, if you can jibe- no need to stop and change direction. Strapless riding is easier on leg muscles- enables me to ride longer than TT because i can place foot in comfortable position and not half bent knee like TT. Sometimes I wish I had straps in waves because I still fall a lot, but on normal day- strapless is what I like.
- after you can turn- time to learn foot switch. For this you need wide stable board.
- i made board because other convinced that as 80kg rider I should take smaller board 5.4- that was a mistake. what a disappointment when TT rides on 12m and I need 12m too to ride surfboard. Now i am on the quest to find light/medium wind board, because took too small at start
- get cheap wide big board to start, probably you will ride it 1-2 years max and then will buy board you like.

BTW I started directional strapless after riding 5 years TT, was hesitant- it looked hard, but in real- much easier than I though.
These users thanked the author tomato for the post (total 2):
jocol (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm) • Wind Runner (Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:13 pm)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Go for it.........in reality the numbers are higher than TT and wakeboards combined for popularity on global scale
Directionals .....boards with nose and tail that travel in one direction

Look how many surfboards worldwide for surfing without kites
Look how many surfboards with kites
Look how many foilboards with kites
Look how many foilboards surfing without kites
Look how many foilboards with wings

Logical !!
We all want to catch and ride a wave
It's the most fun

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm

You don't need a big board. Any directional is likely to be much larger & with more volume than most TTs. The important thing is the rocker line. SBs designed for larger waves tend to have more rocker - a directional designed for flat water or smaller waves should have less rocker. I have used a pretty flat rockered 4'10" x 18" SB board for the last 11 years. I have tried & owned a number to other SBs that were significantly larger, but were slower to plane. At 80kg I typically ride using a kite 2m - 3m smaller than TT riders.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:33 am

Agree with Flyboy, avoid "banana" boards :D
Although for big waves you need a faster board, less rocker more gunny, and for powered riding in smaller waves, or powerful steep waves, bananas are used often.

Disagree you should learn to "jibe" (carve that is, you can not jibe) on a TT first, makes no sense IMO, and can not see any resemblance at all. A waste of time IMO.
But agree it is a lot easier to carve on a directional as it just follows naturally because of the fins.

Straps or no-straps, wont get into that discussion here, but definitely get one where you can use straps, for learning, and you might, as many, prefer this when experienced also - or not :thumb:

8) Peter

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Simplify!
Learn to jibe and toe side on the twintip. A important recommendation is practice both sides so are the less asimetrical ass possible.
And .... you should have bought a cheap used surfboard and hour ago!! 5’10 aprox not too many litres and in decent form. That will do the job for the first year or more

Return to “Kitesurfing”