Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What is with prices?

Postby Topaz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Prices are high because that's what new kite buyers are willing to pay. The supply adjusts to the demand and the market finds the sweet spot. Nothing new.
If Reeding kites are novelty, cool, and expensive, then great. Rich people will get them to show them off at the beach and step out of the crowd. Doesn't really matter if they fly better or not.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:33 pm

19% VAT should be reduced for sport equipment over there.

That would make it more affordable. In AU it is 10%.
Wait? Almost 20% in VAT tax alone? Then income tax takes 30% of your income before you can spend it, and you also have to pay corporate taxes that are lumped into the sale price of the items you buy? Then tack on transportation taxes (fuel, import), maybe property taxes.....

Is the actual ammount of tax on every item you buy like 70% or something?
You got it. In EU you pay more taxes than in US when you earn your money and when you spend it.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Theoretically sure - in reality that is not true. Maybe Milton Friedman believed competition was that pure? No-one else do. And I don't believe he believed that either (huge fan of his intellect by the way - even if I rarely think he is right).

Clothing prices have dropped significantly in most (if not all) western countries the last 20 years. Hardly because people are now not willing to pay the prices they used to pay. From 1995 to 2012 prices for clothing dropped by more than 50% in Norway. Just as an example.

As for Reedin or individual brands - that is different. A pair of Gucci jeans might not be cheaper today than in 1995 - even if the average is down.

My dream is that Duotone or one of the big ones go full Tesla. If Duotone pulled their kites from the shops and sold purely directly online I guess they could cut their prices with 50% and still have the same margins as today. Problem is if you are a smaller brand you will be seen as a "cheap" brand as soon as you do so.

Canyon has been successful with that model when it comes to bikes. Generally a full spec list price bike is cheaper than the competition, but they are still seen as a premium brand. And they are not underbidding the competition with 50%, but 5-10% (at least used to - now they often do not even have to underbid even if their distribution costs are far lower). The next wave is now hitting with bikes. Properly made Chinese brands will offer wheels and frames at 30-50% of the Italian, American brands etc. Nothing to suggest the quality isn't just as good - often built in the same factories in China anyway.

My guess kiting will change, but we are not there yet.

On purely selfish way I hope it doesn't. Already many of my favourite spots are crowded.

1234567Simon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Freeride , and Wave kites

Postby 1234567Simon » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:23 pm

My first set : Naish AR4 and a RRD surfboard, and a Bar back in 2020 just above 3000 (no matter if Euro or not)
(Still remember because MasterCard blocked the order as it was over 3000.)

2021:
New RRD surfboard, bar, 9m Kite (Gaastra): 1540euro.

Bumm!!!

Ok ,all last year!
Ok, normal prices are crazy!

Same from big brand: more like 2500 Euro...

Return to “Kitesurfing”