2002 Naish AR3 7m 2-line nostalgia

Forum for kitesurfers
jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2002 Naish AR3 7m 2-line nostalgia

Postby jonysan » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:38 pm

My first Kite AR 3.5, flew it as a two line kite, then later did the modification, which involved rolling up the wing tips and keeping them rolled using cable ties, Front lines were then reattached, and rear lines were made up and fitted to two tabs to the trailing edge. The bar didn't have a central hole for the depower, but a velcroed on tube for the front lines. Safety , didn't have one !

Vinda
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Rest Bay & Aberavon Wales, UK
Favorite Beaches: Broughton Bay, Wales
Style: Useless Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit and Bandit S Kites.
North Orbit and Reach Kites
North Atmos TT and Naish Monarch TT
North Chase Surfboard
North Sonar Foil
Nobile Skim

Postby Vinda » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:49 pm
Vinda wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm
Hugh2 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:01 pm
My buddy’s kite that I did my first long body drag a couple miles from Avon north in the sound at OBX. Amazingly the bladders held and he could fly it.78C5E0DA-836B-4F91-A98A-D4CCB149A4C6.jpeg
I swear my AR5 didn't look that crispy in 2004/5 :D
you didn't buy it new in 2004?

Since AR5 was released in 2000/2001 as I remember correctly.
I got a 9.5m ARX in 2002 and then the second hand 15.5 AR5 shortly after. I say 2004 as I dropped it in front of a big wave in Cornwall and killed it. I think that was 2003 maybe. Replaced both kites with Aero2s

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 pm

A right, the Aero!

flying doctor
Medium Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 am

GregK wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 pm
No I think the ARX came after the AR3 and AR5, and was a better 4-line C-kite.

Who else was kiting back then and remembers these kites ??
My first kite was a 9(.5?)m AR5 and I must have used it in any kind of conditions from 10-25 knots. Crazy in hindsight, lots of hindenburgs and teabagging. But I can still feel the stoke when I remember that kite 😀. And my Brunotti "two faced" twintip that was 1.80 meter!
After that the cab blacktip, great kite because it was so easy to loop. Then the X2 which had a usable range of 2 knots, I even had the 20m 😱
And then the RINO which pulled like a truck and had excellent hangtime.
Had a small wipi airblast too for stormy weather.

Ah, the nostalgia...

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:49 pm

My buddy had bought a North Rhino 12m as well and so my next outing was on that. Yikes, that kite just wanted to kill me. It either launched me into inadvertent aerials with wicked body slams, or it tried to drag me underwater. I had to release it completely a couple of times and recover it from bushes. I bought it from him and took it around the world in 2006, sadly sans board, so all I could do was body drag. Fun times, Tarifa, Cape Town, western and eastern Australia, Hawaii, and S California.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post:
Flyingseb (Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:50 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:06 pm

Yeah, the Brunotti two faced!
My first twintip.

But...I think I had one ok Session with it, and the rest didn't really work...no idea why.

So imagine...I went back to directional !
And I hate jibes...can you imagine.

Bit shortly after I tried the underground lunch tray...boy, what a great board!

Immediately fell in love and ordered one...took several weeks to arrive.

And since then, twintip forever ! :-)

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Naish Draft, North Dyno, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:49 pm
My buddy had bought a North Rhino 12m as well and so my next outing was on that. Yikes, that kite just wanted to kill me. It either launched me into inadvertent aerials with wicked body slams, or it tried to drag me underwater. I had to release it completely a couple of times and recover it from bushes. I bought it from him and took it around the world in 2006, sadly sans board, so all I could do was body drag. Fun times, Tarifa, Cape Town, western and eastern Australia, Hawaii, and S California.
I was sticking with ram air kite at that time, the Rhea from Advance. Almost no depower, flexible end bar to act on the brakes, whatever the bar position, always willing to get that extra performance I should theoretically expect...It never came
I remember clearly a day, when I was struggling with my 10 meters, then went to my 7 meters, then back to my 10, never ever confortable with the wind strength, either not enough or too much.
In the same time, a friend rode his new 16m North Rhino, the yellow and gray one, and was at ease the whole time! I turned away from ram air kite that day, and never came back.

My first inflatable kite was a beautiful cab black tip, 16 projected square meters. I could feel the improvement, but because of the high aspect ratio, and low structure rigidity, had a hard time to get reliable impulse at launch.
Tried a Rhino: oh my. So much better than every other kite I had put my hand on. Real depower (30% maybe?), but power was so reliable. Only trade off: bar was so stiff, that arm soreness was difficult to avoid.
My first North kite was a Rhino 4, 16m2. Fell in love in the very first minute of ride. Best kite in the world, IMHO, at that time.
Kept it with its smaller brothers until late in the 2010’s, until all valves started to fail (it took more than 8 years to reach that point).

So glad we have access now to the kites we can buy today, but I would say it was the same every year since my beginning! Since it was possible to ride upwind, handle the gust one way or another, jump, have I been happy with kites, and very rarely had the feeling to risk my life, apart from small size kites in high wind.

By the way, the OP kite looks like new, I wouldn’t mind trying a few tacks with it, juste for the sake of it

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:25 pm

Nothing topped the death-thrills of my other first kite - the Wind Tools Mosquito 9+ - that kite was made with a license to kill !

Trent hink
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, soul, solo, hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made 10 years ago.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:33 am

I loved my Wind Tools Mosquitos. Had the 9+ and I think 7.5

Rigged 2 or 3 line (brakes) for the water and 4 lines with handles for the snow. Crazy lift and power.

The only really bad part was buying boxes and boxes of condoms for the "CAP system". Even in Wisconsin those things would turn to glue in no time. I can't imagine using them in a tropical climate.

GregK wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:25 pm
Nothing topped the death-thrills of my other first kite - the Wind Tools Mosquito 9+ - that kite was made with a license to kill !

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:02 pm

Wow, love that picture of your AR3 :thumb:

When tips were rolled and it was converted to a 4 line, it was magic :rollgrin:

Learned with Mosquito foilkites myself, before 2000, great kites, except for the fact they could not depower, and absolutely no safety release ha haa - so you learned how to "bodydrag" through bushes and everything, on the beach and shore also :roll:

Naish AR5 was a gamechanger in 2001, loved it, but it was totally overruled by the very first frontline flyer, Wipika Airblast, almost at the same time - and the standard was set.

Same principles in freestyle kites today actually :D

Wipika had 2 lined kites which we used when we were teaching others in kiteschool, as easier not to focus on depower when learning (back then)

One very amazing thing about the Naish AR5's, were the POWER - it was amazing, and the few who kept these kites for many years, when a lot of new generation kites appeared, could see that a Naish AR5 7.5 m2 pulled like a modern (huge windrange front line flyer) 10 or 11 m2 kite - quite astonashing :naughty:

We LOVE the old days now in our memory, but I dont think we would love to get back on that gear - our memories are shuffling and making a prank on us ha haa, just like seeing VERY old movies now, most are crap, but we have a memory that their were "awesome" :roll:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”