drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness hook broke during kiteloop

Postby drone » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:25 am

Crazy, how many new hook are breaking. No warning, no recall. Hook per season it`s not normal.

metrox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair
Gear: Naish

Postby metrox » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 am

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:45 am
Unfortunetly everything in kite boarding has a finite life. I change my lines every year on my ozone bar, And now changing
my flag out line every year after having it snap where it is knotted at the top of the PU line. Thankfuly it snapped as i was going up and snapped at 3 meters up. Hooks are no different especially if your regularly doing kite loops/mega loops. Im sure crack testing would most likely pick this up.
Agree changing lines etc because it has contact with sand and friction between each other. This is normal.
But I will never accept that I need to change hook every year!
What the problem to put enough material? Does every other industry change parts every year after some load? I do not think so.
And I am not talking about only Mystic harness ... This is for every manufacturer today. Every hook looks thin and not safe. Ok make it 100$ even more expansive, but please, put stronger hooks. :D
These users thanked the author metrox for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 am) • Kerplow (Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am)
Rating: 6.06%

happytrees
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:47 am

Agree. Coming from windsurfing(still do it) have broken a few. On the kite seems crazy!
Take your hook into good local Machining - Welding shop.
I've never done it for a hook but they can fabricate for marine and test.
Probably cost similar but stronger/reliable for a bit more weight and peace of mind :D
These users thanked the author happytrees for the post:
metrox (Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Mse
Rare Poster
Gear: Jaystore
Has thanked: 0

Postby Mse » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Hi, I designed the dynabar some years ago avoiding welded parts. If the hook is made of aluminium then it's explained why it brakes. If stainless steel, the heat needed to weld the hook modifies the metal structure making it easy to break.
To avoid this issue I used nuts to fix the hook, i suggest Mystic to do the same. However, i'm surprised this known problem is still there after 20 years the kitesurfig was born.
Last edited by Mse on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:24 pm

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Unfortunetly everything in kite boarding has a finite life. I change my lines every year on my ozone bar, And now changing
my flag out line every year after having it snap where it is knotted at the top of the PU line. Thankfuly it snapped as i was going up and snapped at 3 meters up. Hooks are no different especially if your regularly doing kite loops/mega loops. Im sure crack testing would most likely pick this up.
100kg, when I started using a closeout Dakine Vega guessing in 2014??? Maybe 2015???? 110kg now, and no issues with the spreader bar... except the fabric and straps have been replaced or patched multiple times. Stupid origional strap material barely held up for a year. Had to sew/glue the seams a few times and add reinforcing fabric. Saltwater and freshwater use. I'm just amazed at how the hook has held up.

But I have broken windsurfing harness hooks, and bent out 1 Ozone Acces SB hook.

So, yes, it's possible to have a wire hook hold up. But only if it's done right, and if your engineers actually do the calculations, and your quality control people in china are doing thier job. It boils down to competency being expensive.

kitesurfpro
Rare Poster
Gear: Kitesurf

Postby kitesurfpro » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:54 pm

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:01 pm

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Metal fatigue is the technical term you're looking for. It's different than rope wear, plastic or fabric. If designed with appropriate materials and safety factor there's no way that these things should be blowing up in a year. They're either trying to save weight, money on materials, or quality and skimping on safety factor. Probably they're designing them to last as long as the webbing that supports the spreader bars. Would have to ask the tech support guys. I'd like a bulletproof spreader bar personally- webbing that is dying is easy to spot. Metal fatigue can be tricky, which is why NDT techs get paid boatloads of money.

Note on metal fatigue: when you stress metal beyond a certain point, fatigue cracks (microscopic) start to form and over time get larger until the material fails. If you never reach this level of stress due to appropriate design/strength, no fatigue cracks, metal doesn't fail . Which is why people still drive cars from 100 yrs ago and people still shoot guns in use since 1911. A properly designed and maintained (no corrosion) spreader bar should be able to outlive you.
These users thanked the author Johnnyrotten204 for the post:
metrox (Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm)

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:05 pm

What is the big deal here....stuff breaks; get used to it or don't use it!

Accepting the above will leave you two choices: you ride it until something breaks and deal with it or you periodically replace old gear so you hopefully don't have to deal with it.

Personally I ride it till it breaks

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:54 pm

Exactly. Might as well make the hooks from plastic.

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm

^^ A+ forum post right here. Thank you for your service ❤️
These users thanked the author Johnnyrotten204 for the post:
metrox (Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:03 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”