Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair
Gear: Naish Torch/Pivot
Brand Affiliation: None

Harness hook broke during kiteloop

Postby metrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:12 am

Today I had an accident. During kiteloop (approx 9-10m height) hook cracked completely. I am luckely ok, because I was using short leash and connected suicide mode. So kite catched me at some point and I not crashed so hard. I use Majestic harness with Stealth spreader bar ...
It looks like it was cracked before and was slowly progressing till it breaks completely … Here possible to see some small corrosion from salt water. Also it is not possible to inspect hook, because it is inside (without disassembling it)
And I am not a heavy rider. I weigh only 66-67kg.
I was thinking about possible reasons for cracks and complete breaks. And here not talk about Mystic brand, but I think this can be refered to any brand today.
There could be problems with applied load direction. Now with the new Stealth spreader bar hook sits nicely straight and not moves anywhere, but this makes another problem.
Days before it was like so :D
So we see that applied load almost in complete tension to hook. Basically hook position can be aligned to applied vector load from the kite.
Now if we look into the new harness and consider that it sits tight we can see such applied load vector. See below picture. (Actually like how good and tight SpreadBar sits and not moves anywhere)
So in that case we not get pure tension on the support joint, but also some bending moment.

Being an Engineer I made rough fast calculations …
So 6mm bar 75mm length.
Used material S355 (don’t know what material used for hook, but this is not important here)
Design made for 1 bar (so total strength should be multiplied by 2)

Applied load here 2kN (approx 200kg) … So total applied load on 2 bars 400kg. 400kg because this is how much 1 line (approx) can hold :D
I modelled 4 situations when load applied on pure tension, and with some angle (20,40,60 degrees). Also the support joint is completely stiff and will not align with reality, because it can move on some degree … But as for example this is enough.

We can see results (Utilization ratio). If load is applied in a little angle then it breaks and load bearing capacity is smaller 7 times. (This calculation not meant to be very accurate because I did it for 5minutes drinking some Whiskey and celebrating my 2nd birthday :D ) So we can see that our lines stronger than harness hooks :)
This is very important during kiteloops when you swing under the kite and it catches you. So the applied load vector could be even 90 degrees in some cases. And also it is dynamic load, not static …
Also there are a lot of reports from different riders on the internet about the same problem for any brand.
Example: https://www.wetestkites.com/2020/03/21/ ... our-lines/

So check your hooks and be safe ... And hopefully harness manufactures will stop save on material and think about riders safety ....

Cheers ...

P.S. This is new harness ... Ride with it from last year august and was on shelf during winter (approx 4 months in total)
Last edited by metrox on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author metrox for the post (total 3):
zlatko23 (Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:31 pm) • Steve271 (Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:58 pm) • iriejohn (Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:04 pm)
Rating: 20%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Harness hook broke during kiteloop

Postby Havre » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks. Interesting post.

How can you check it?

metrox
Rare Poster

Postby metrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:48 am

If you have Stealth spreader bar than you need to open up it and check on cracks.

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2

Postby Kerplow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:56 am

Have two local examples like this on the same brand :/ How to be sure that mine is not cracked?

metrox
Rare Poster

Postby metrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 am

Back of spreader bar you have 4 screws. You need to unscrew them and then you will see this part. So you will be able to inspect hook on cracks.
These users thanked the author metrox for the post (total 2):
Kerplow (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:14 am) • Havre (Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:32 am)
Rating: 13.33%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:33 pm

my steath spreader broke 1st season of use (to be fair, was a pretty heavy user that year)
...i was downlooping a transition (low end wind range om a 3m peak4....not heavy forces at all)
i know at that moment was not exactly pleased since kite crashed immediately in water and i had no chance at relaunch (was behind a reef and had a not-fun swim back to shore

i'm not a physics or material science guy...

but do this lines/wire have a wear limit?
..is it a known that 'this or that' will break after x amount of uses/time on the water?

metrox
Rare Poster

Postby metrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm

This is something what should last forever :)) It is steel :D I see that problem with this hook that they increased length of it, because it is more inside under plastic cover. And also problem what I was described above. Well basically it is not enough material there ... Idk is it big saving in material, but its would be much safer if they put solid peace.
Here my 30min design. I think this would last forever :)

And you can open beer with it between sessions :lol:
These users thanked the author metrox for the post (total 2):
Kerplow (Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:06 pm) • iriejohn (Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:06 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

SMJ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 pm

It continues to boggle the mind how our sport is still plagued with these medieval hook & loop systems.

metrox
Rare Poster

Postby metrox » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:54 pm

NeilPryde had something really strong almost 10 years ago :) this looks really proper design.
You can hook elephant on it and its will be ok :))))

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Or consider a closed hook/loop if you do not unhook..

Return to “Kitesurfing”