Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

how crowded is cabarette in june - August

Postby Grizwald » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:53 pm

Title says it all.
I am thinking about DR for a month or so this summer. I have recently been told that it will be like trying to kite in the Tokyo subway.
What exactly constitutes crowded?
How hard is it to get away from said crowd?

Does anyone have any experience with Buen Hombre? It looks very, shall we say, rustic.
Are there any other places along the north shore that anyone could recommend that would be suitable for a mediocre kiter and and non-kiting, wife.

thx
Griz

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: how crowded is cabarette in june - August

Postby Havre » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:13 pm

I have only been there during winter. Kite beach is almost always full. And millions of beginners drifting in the shore break all over the place. Never had any issues with not having enough space though. East for Kite beach towards the village it is huge. Got a lot of space before you hit the reef.

And I would guess less kiters than normal this summer?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm

It was very crowded since this is prime time for the wind but this year I would not worry about it! Many countries don't allow citizens to travel. In the past it was pretty intense lots agressive kiters on the reef lots of beginners taking space accidents and tangled kites happen all the time.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:03 am

I haven't been to Cabarete in the summer for a long time ... however the deal is, "Cabarete" includes a pretty extensive area. The area that gets crowded is in front of Kite Beach, where there is a crazy combination of complete beginners learning, intermediate kiters not confident enough to go through the reef area & local peeps showing off their moves within 200 metres of the shoreline. If you go beyond the reef & head downwind, or upwind there is plenty of space. Overall, there are far fewer kiters than there are at places like Tarifa. Note that in the summer there isn't much of a beach at Kite Beach making it not the best spot for a non-kiter to hang out. Buen Hombre is very remote - not sure it's a the place to spend a month, especially for a non-kiter. If you PM me I could suggest a few places in the Cabarete area that would be worth considering for a month stay.

Grizwald
Medium Poster

Postby Grizwald » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone. Flyboy PM sent.
Griz

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 pm

In my opinion this year it gonna get extremely full in all kite hotspots!

Vaccines are moving quickly forward and all what people want is to get our of their homes!

US will be all vaccinated before summer. EU in summer.

Once things open up, bookings will be crazy...we saw this with Mallorca...within few days 500 flights sold out !

I also assume Brazil gonna get overcrowded like never before this fall...

Have a look at Las Terrenas...further east of Cabarete. Winds less strong, but more flat water and beautiful blue colors...and I am sure your lady would love it.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:24 pm

peak season for cabarete is probably july... with june and august close behind.

during those times it is CRAZY crowded.. if you can foil in mornings, kite beach it isnt too bad.
but when the thermals start in afternoon... there are just too many people learning/taking lessons there.

lessons are also taught on front of hotels on bozo and cabarete beach.
same thing.. when winds picks up get to and from the beach can be difficult because of all the kites in the water.

(this image is bozo beach... kite beach is much more crowded)

the positive of all those kiters..
...cabarete has darn good nightlife potential

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:29 pm

That is difficult to predict. A lot of the younger people will not have gotten 2 shots in June at least. And if I were to guess the EU will drag their feet trying to make sure that as many Europeans spend their money in Europe. That might not influence Cabarete too much though - even if there is always a lot of Germans there.

In any case. As long as you are OK with choppy waters I think you should always be able to find space in Cabarete. I never had an issue there even as a beginner - even if it sometimes is a bit of a queue going passed the shore break.

I can only pray I will be able to go to Brazil come fall. Different topic I guess.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:33 pm

I don't think that is too bad elguapo. And as you typically get cross onshore it is quite easy to get away from the beach. And in the area that picture is from you got a long way before you hit the reef.

Try gusty wind in Tarifa. Haha. Like kiting in a convoy while being hit by artillery fire.

Grizwald
Medium Poster

Postby Grizwald » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Toby: Spots shows the kite spot as playa punta poppy. Do you know if there are any restrictions on Playa Las Terrenas for kiting.

As far as crowds go. What I am seeing is highly variable. In U.S. destinations costs for accommodation and rental cars is just nuts. More than double the prices from two years ago. Puerto Rico car rental prices are up more than 3X. Traditionally expensive places like T&C seem to be about the same. Some of the islands are still closed to visitors so that is likely to push people to those that are open.

Return to “Kitesurfing”