Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Ride Engine Fit?

Postby andylc » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Quite a few deals on Ride Engine harnesses at the moment - having not used a hard shell harness before wondering if they fit most people? My current harness is an Ion Vertex and recently I’ve found it starting to dig and bruise my lower ribs. Presume the hard shell harnesses being smaller might avoid this.
My body is a fairly normal shape I think...

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq

Re: Ride Engine Fit?

Postby or6 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 am

They will fit most people...just make sure to try them on. As a rule, it will be a size smaller than on soft shell harnesses. Should you buy one, give it some hours to get used to each other.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:40 am

Yes I saw that although I doubt I’d go from a small to and extra small as that is supposedly for a 25 inch waist!! Actually think this years model has some big improvements anyway so no use in looking for last seasons bargains. I’ll go and try one at my local joint.

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m, Switchblade 7m, Contra 13m, Ozone Enduro V3 7m&9m&11m, CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Slingshot T-Rex

Postby zlatko23 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:15 am

Hardshells are great for me - I went from ION Apex Select, M to RideEngine Elite, S. The footprint on the back is a lot smaller than the ION, harness feels snug and supportive. I have found RE fits my shape better than Mystic, as RE has more pronounced bulge that pushes in the curvature of my back. With Mystic I have the feeling that it sits a finger detached from my back.
I pair my RE with Mystic Stealth bar as RE bars have one of the worst designed closure systems. That is until 2021 Unity system where they have copied Mystic Stealth and even went further to develop a new connection system between bar and harness. It looks great, but definitely has the downside of forcing you to use only RE spreader bar if you buy 2021 RE harness.

Ianw
Rare Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Shinn Bronq, Core XR, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!

Postby Ianw » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am

andylc wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:00 pm
Quite a few deals on Ride Engine harnesses at the moment - having not used a hard shell harness before wondering if they fit most people? My current harness is an Ion Vertex and recently I’ve found it starting to dig and bruise my lower ribs. Presume the hard shell harnesses being smaller might avoid this.
My body is a fairly normal shape I think...
Hi I have the Elite M with 12" unity bar my ht 5ft 9ins & 34ins waist I went with the latest RE size chart which is a perfect fit for me. I found it a very comfortable after allowing a few sessions for the memory foam to bed in & not over tightening I prefer a bit of movement so I can nudge it down after big jumps. I really like the consistent pressure of the bar without the stretching of the straps.

Milko0k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Port Skunkley
Favorite Beaches: SWO
Style: Wet
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Milko0k » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:20 pm

I enjoy mine, best I've had or tried.

I've come across quite a few people complaining about RE harness fit because they bought one based on their jeans size.

If you're unable to try it before purchasing than make sure that you tighten your core muscles and take a measurement at your bellybutton, not your hips.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pm

I’m going to try one at my local shop - according to RE I need a small and 12” spreader but speaking to them they reckon a medium and smaller bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”