Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why is Reedin Kites so damn expensive

Postby plummet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:25 am

There are many factors that make up the retail price, Not all companies are equal, not all kites are the same......

Research and find the best option for you. That best option for you may not be the best option for someone else.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:58 am

Reedin is a new company and has startup costs, higher manufacturing cost from low run volumes, lower inventory turnover as sales buildup and marketshare grows, and higher interest rates on business loans. And to do this during the pandemic is pretty amazing.

So many new companies are no longer in business. The best way to make a small fortune in kitesurfing is to start with a large one…

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 pm

^^ It's the cost of getting late to the party. You'd better have something different from the rest or come up with lower costs.
In this case, he has his name. This will make some people buy his kites, at least at the beginning. From there on, they better be good kites to stay in the market at a premium price.

Pitu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: 2020 Naish Pivot 7,9,12
CrazyFly Raptor

Postby Pitu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:24 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am
And back to the original topic...

I also have a hard time understanding their high end prices, look at brands like Fluid or Ventum in the Netherlands. They are able to offer kites for almost 50% of the prices of the big brands. Quality is par or even better on some parts. Also produced in same factories to the highest standards in quality and high end materials (no maybe not the lightest as is the latest trend but probably stronger)

To come back to Reedin:
- Marketing costs is low (mainly through his KevLogs)
- Dev also in-house (and really close to the pivots)

On the other side since Covid Kitesurfing has been booming and I have seen my spots have an increase of kiters of at least 25%, supply is limited with lack of raw materials shipping rates from Asia are through the roof (as well by boat as plane). This creates scarcity and pushes prices up, but tbh Reedin set their prices before

Probably thye just opted for their popularity and if people are paying apparently it's not too expensive...

I think the current prices are absurd and I rather support the small companies.
Not entirely fair, the brands you mentioned (along with Peter Lynn and Gaastra) use a cheaper material for the canopy than most "A-Brands". If this justifies the higher price, I have no idea.

Edit: Gaastra has apparently switched to Triple Ripstop aswell, Ventum uses something called "Triple-X" which may or may not be the same as triple Ripstop

Ventum
Rare Poster
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Ventum uses techfiber double side coated, triple ripstop canopy which is woven and made in Japan at Toray (no other canopy is fully made in Japan nor double side coated). Multiple brands use it but give it their own name and then say its exclusive or dont mention at all they use this canopy supplier on specific models. GA does not use a Japanese canopy. Its also NOT explaining the price differences (Ventum also uses CNC sewing and is using even a stronger LE thread, M18 Tex150). Its simple, a kite bought in a shop needs to cover an income for the people in the factory, the brand (including marketeers) plus the ones in the shop as well as the buildings. Difference in materials are no significant part of the Retail price differences nor is quality or QC. I ran a kite factory in Sri Lanka for 5 years and now produce in China helping to upgrade quality. You believe in the marketing stories... no problem, but production costs for any small brand are significantly higher then for a big brand. Many materials are not developed by brands, they are developed by the manufacturers and then a big brand forces them into a x year exclusivity deal. This topic is about Reedin so I dont wish to hijack it.... I have flown the kite and its flying well. You like to support Kevin (a true ambassador of the sport) and like how the kite is flying (which should be your nr 1 reason to buy)....buy Reedin and accept the price, there are enough alternatives.
Last edited by Ventum on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post (total 9):
zlatko23 (Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:58 pm) • nixmatters (Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:11 pm) • Hugh2 (Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 pm) • Faxie (Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 pm) • Pitu (Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 pm) • Kees (Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:31 am) • Kitemenn (Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:27 am) • RidingRobi (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:57 am) • Leon van Bergen (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am)
Rating: 60%

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 pm

Sewn pieces of easily rip able/punctured <ripstop> fabric with an oversized fragile condom and held by four strings and all of it not lasting two years of weekly riding is in my book OVERLY expensive.
Whatever the maker kites shouldn't be more than 1000$ for ALL sizes. Bars at over 500$ is even more outrageous.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:27 am

mr_daruman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 pm
Sewn pieces of easily rip able/punctured <ripstop> fabric with an oversized fragile condom and held by four strings and all of it not lasting two years of weekly riding is in my book OVERLY expensive.
Whatever the maker kites shouldn't be more than 1000$ for ALL sizes. Bars at over 500$ is even more outrageous.
Well, it starts with a large number of hours of labour to put a kite together... So, maybe we could bring back slavery or force children to sew kites instead of making Nike shoes, but having some qualified staff and reasonable work conditions typically leads to a better quality product. So despite being produced in SE Asia where labour costs are relatively cheap, there is still a substantial cost in terms of manufacturing. The factory will sell the product with a margin, because they have to earn a living, otherwise they'd just close and do something else to survive.
Then, there are shipping costs, distribution costs, marketing costs (including sponsoring top riders), R&D costs, and many men in the middle who all need to make a profit along the way. So it's no surprise that the price you pay is not the price of the materials or the price out of the factory door.

And to follow on your simplistic description of what a kite is, I'd suggest you assemble yourself a kite with a tough tear proof denim cloth, use a strong puncture proof rubber inner tube, and use 100m of chicken string instead of SK99 dyneema, and report on the experience riding it. All along the way, designers balance performance and robustness (and costs). So you can throw a tantrum and claim that you think this is overly expensive, but that is the reality of the game (a.k.a The Free Market). No one is forcing you to play that game. You can abstain, you can DIY, you don't have to buy the latest gear at retail price, and you can also make it last for way longer than 2 years.

As far as bars are concerned, I also feel like some prices are crazy. The main drive in the boom of bar prices is due to the over engineering, reinventing the wheel, solving problems you didn't know existed, small series of injection molded parts, redesigning proprietary cleats instead of using proven off the shelf parts. Expensive parts, and more labour to put all of that together. But once again, you can step out of that game. I source some quality critical parts like lines and I assemble my bars, in a simple, maintainable way, with commonly available parts from the boat shops. Lasts for longer as I just replace worn out parts whenever needed.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am

I would say that given it is a brand founded by a rider who many consider to be the No 1 kitesurfer in the history of the sport the price isnt that outlandish - especially if the build quality is similar. It will be interesting to see how well it does - the only other rider/brand is Epic kites and Dimitri seems to have made a living from it so I would say a brand linked directly to the highest profile rider in the sport has a good chance.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 am

I got nothing against Kevin, but I wouldn't pay a cent more for a kite "made" by him compared to someone else. Why would I?

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 am
I got nothing against Kevin, but I wouldn't pay a cent more for a kite "made" by him compared to someone else. Why would I?
Image.

Return to “Kitesurfing”