Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why are Kites so damn expensive

Forum for kitesurfers
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why is Reedin Kites so damn expensive

Postby Onda » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:31 am

Am I the only one who noticed that orange "Young Capital" stickers on Kevin´s boards?!
Guess why that stuff is high-priced ;-)

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:41 pm

brighamj wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:12 am
I don’t disagree. Although 90% of kites probably come out of the same two or three factories. Maybe I am wrong, but this is so often the case.
This happens very often with all kinds of products.
But that still doesn't mean anything.

It could be that one brand has no quality control at all and another has the highest standard of quality control.
So the first brand is like the lottery, you could have a very good product or a very bad product. While for the second brand, you always should get a very good product.

It could be that one brand does 2 rows of stitching, but another does 3 rows. That could be done in the same factory or even the same production line, with just an added step that's simply being skipped for the first brand.

Or they use different quality of products, or ... Etcetera etcetera.
There are a lot of differences possible between different products coming from the same factory.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm

In theory yes - but it is not necessarily so that the more expensive brand is going for the "higher" quality.

I know a wheel builder (bikes) who sells his (or theirs now) internationally. Components produced and sourced from China. Their reputation has been for a while being "China". Funny thing is that for for example the bearings they are using are more expensive than one of the best known high end wheels you can get are using - also sourced from China, but branded as Italian.

It is a nightmare to try to find some sort of "objective" truth to this.

The same way you might buy a premium Mercedes built at Nissan plant. You can argue that you are still getting more with the Mercedes, but not sure how that carries more weight than both cars being built at the same plant.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm
The same way you might buy a premium Mercedes built at Nissan plant. You can argue that you are still getting more with the Mercedes, but not sure how that carries more weight than both cars being built at the same plant.
lol... reminded me of seeing a mid 2000 stripped Aston Martin V8 & all the electronics were from Volvo.... lets face it, all Rolls Royces are just BMW chassis & drivetrains in fancy dress....but the best examples of the are the McLaren F1 (the holy grail of road cars) with tail lights from a Bova Futura bus & my favourite, the Pagani Zonda with a Rover 45 climate control unit :roll:

So all manufactures, irrespective of perceived quality do resort to a parts bin, every now & again. The Reedins do feel nicely made, but for build quality, I would rate the V1s as good, but the current Norths do seem slightly better made/quality.

downsouth
Rare Poster
Gear: Dice , NEO , Bandit Razed ....
Brand Affiliation: still working on that one .....

Postby downsouth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:58 pm

So all manufactures, irrespective of perceived quality do resort to a parts bin, every now & again. The Reedins do feel nicely made, but for build quality, I would rate the V1s as good, but the current Norths do seem slightly better made/quality.

lots of Kite brands make use of a parts bin.

Most kites come from the same factories, most of these guys make use of the same suppliers. e.g. Teijin .... The companies that can make a better quality are the companies that have the capital and know-how to provide specifications to the factories or own a factory in theory Ozone.

Reedin most certainly has the know-how, not sure if they have the reach and volume , like North Duotone,
to convince the factories/supplier to do something special at a reasonable price.

North is not being built by "north" but still be Aqaudynamics

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:56 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:50 pm
In theory yes - but it is not necessarily so that the more expensive brand is going for the "higher" quality.
Indeed, I'm definitely not denying this. I just don't believe this is the case for all the more expensive kite brands.

TheRussian wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 pm
lets face it, all Rolls Royces are just BMW chassis & drivetrains in fancy dress....
They have BMW parts, yes that's true.
But a BMW does not have hand-made parts. A BMW does not have the possibilities of the endless exclusive parts that a Rolls Royce can have.
Your comparison is very short sighted here.
It's almost like saying a KIA is the same as a Formula 1 car, because they both have 4 wheels. But less extreme :)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 pm

Quite funny reading about when Rolls-Royce sold their rights to their cars (brand) and factory. The old factory doesn't even belong to BMW. Volkswagen bought it. So not sure what you are getting when buying RR these days. If you buy a Bentley you are actually getting a car from the original RR factory.

Slightly off topic I guess.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:01 pm

Lol... dont work in Goodwood do you 😂 If you do, you should know that a chassis & drivetrain are fairly significant “parts” - fyi current phantom is only now no longer based on a 7-series, the Wraith is still a last gen 7-series & the Cullinan eyesore is an X7 chassis - yes they can be customised/hand made trim, but they are just that.. with the exception of the phantom, sadly long gone are the days of coachworkers hand fabricating anything significant in the manufacturing process.. Years back I went to Newport Pagnell and saw what a hand made chassis meant, even saw an engine being pushed over the road from the engine works to be put in a new chassis,,,, no wonder they were so unreliable.

Anyway back to the subject, its all mass /semi mass produced gear - unless you spend serious $$ on a pagani & even thats got an AMG lump in it,,, but the factory is v special.... even makes Goodwood seem a bit pikey

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:06 pm

pretty sure Bentleys are also own by Volkswagen (as are lambos and Bugatti, and partially porsche)

the W12 engine in a Bentley Continental GT is the same engine in a an audi A8 W12, Phaeton and Toureag W12..
(and your audi s8 has a tuned down Lamborghini Gallardo SE engine)

food for thought

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:13 am

And back to the original topic...

I also have a hard time understanding their high end prices, look at brands like Fluid or Ventum in the Netherlands. They are able to offer kites for almost 50% of the prices of the big brands. Quality is par or even better on some parts. Also produced in same factories to the highest standards in quality and high end materials (no maybe not the lightest as is the latest trend but probably stronger)

To come back to Reedin:
- Marketing costs is low (mainly through his KevLogs)
- Dev also in-house (and really close to the pivots)

On the other side since Covid Kitesurfing has been booming and I have seen my spots have an increase of kiters of at least 25%, supply is limited with lack of raw materials shipping rates from Asia are through the roof (as well by boat as plane). This creates scarcity and pushes prices up, but tbh Reedin set their prices before

Probably thye just opted for their popularity and if people are paying apparently it's not too expensive...

I think the current prices are absurd and I rather support the small companies.

Return to “Kitesurfing”