Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby edt » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Bille wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:04 pm
My new plan , for saving a victim :

my PDF , and toss it to them ; if they try to climb up the cord
to get to me , (then i'll just let go of the cord).

I wouldn't bother with the line. Give them the pfd and just hold on to it while you tow them in. Time is critical and I wouldn't bother spooling a line out just get them to shore.

That said line is always useful nothing wrong with packing it I would just make the main plan give them the pfd then tow them in.

I saw a ton of rescues last year and I think if you keep calm give them flotation that's enough. Most of the rescues I watched were first timers. You can do it!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Best ignore Havre, he is doing his typical trolling over covid.

We have had a bunch of local "rescues" on our lake, dating back to windsurfing days including rescues of swimmers in distress and sailors fallen off boats. But most have been helping other kitesurfers get back to shore as we have only a narrow entrance and exit zone so you have to get back to shore somehow. Since the assisted person is a kiter, we have not had problems with someone grabbing the bar (that was pretty scary in that video, could easily have crashed the guys kite). But we have learned that the person flying the kite has to body drag, holding their board and the person assisted hanging onto their harness. One of us once tried riding their board while dragging the other person and the force was so great they broke a kite line, compounding the problem.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm

As usual you are missing the point Hugh2. And clearly I'm not trolling. I was ridiculed for not understanding vaccines etc. - and here we are with several vaccines not being used in several countries etc. Anyway. I'm not here to discuss that - those are just the facts. Don't blame me for having been right.

The point in this case is that there is a dilemma. And it has been raised by others than me. How much risk should the rescuer accept? That you can't understand my tongue-in-cheek comment (which I guess pains you because it exposes some silliness from the likes of you - is another issue). CPR was used as an example where someone have fairly ridiculously decided that the risk would be too big for the rescuer.

I think it is an interesting topic how to best rescue someone trying to balance that - how much risk one should accept trying to rescue someone. Or it not accept - be wise to take on. Actually quite fascinating that there is, to my knowledge, not really any equipment available to help in such a situation. One could imagine something like a mini life jacket strapped to your board or whatever. That would inflate in a similar way as the ones on planes. Without knowing I could imagine even a tiny version just to help someone keep their head above water for a short amount of time could save lives. Or at least make it a lot easier to rescue someone.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Self inflating throwable life ring?
Or even manual inflate? Easy enough to build one fir inside of your wetsuit with an old wetsuit and some old kite bladder material.

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:53 pm

Rest tube? My impact vest even has a specific location foe one! Forward WIP.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 pm

What I have done in the past is put the donkey dick in so the chicken loop won't unhook, then disconnect kite leash and attach to back of harness. This makes a nice big loop that the person can hold onto while I pull them in. Throw lots of kite loops if the wind is light and the person is heavy.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 pm

I must admit I was thinking about that, except that I decided on a short leash recently since I’ve accepted that I’m never going to get any good at unhooking...this would be an argument for keeping a longer leash still.

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:03 pm
I must admit I was thinking about that, except that I decided on a short leash recently since I’ve accepted that I’m never going to get any good at unhooking...this would be an argument for keeping a longer leash still.
For those wanting to prepare for future good samaritanship - this might be a good idea: https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... rts&cat=94

Regarding the leash, of course you use a short leash - cause why would you want to unhook? But that doesn't mean you can't still wear a long handle pass style leash doubled up on your handle pass line on your harness. It could come in handy to help somebody, could be used if you break down and need a tether to self launch on an island after a mess - or you could just use it to keep your board comfortably nearby while you wind up your lines if the person you are rescuing happens to be yourself...(more likely)

Good thoughts tho - Keep saving people - and KITE ON..

Mc

:dance:
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
Slappysan (Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm

Restube looks a really good idea. Not sure there’s a strong enough strap to tow someone on with it but nevertheless a really clever device - might consider getting myself one.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:17 pm

McLovin wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 pm
But that doesn't mean you can't still wear a long handle pass style leash doubled up on your handle pass line on your harness. It could come in handy to help somebody, could be used if you break down and need a tether to self launch on an island after a mess - or you could just use it to keep your board comfortably nearby while you wind up your lines if the person you are rescuing happens to be yourself...(more likely)
I always carry a spare long leash for these purposes and wouldn't want to be out there without it.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
McLovin (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”