Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Forum for kitesurfers
Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby Qiter » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 am

I am sure many have seen the below video..

It shows very well how its done.
You can also see how the rescued grab the bar, which is potentially dangerous... But the kiter manages it well!
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
Topaz (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby edt » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:53 am

Come on guys quit joking. If you can save a life do it.

Shit gets real after you tow a drowning victim to shore he's been unconscious for 5 minutes and you are wondering if you just saved a dead man.

Last year I saw probably 10 rescues and 2 dead ones (the dead ones drowned where we weren't kiting).

Shit gets real when you see that rescue boat steaming 40 knots down the channel and you can see the guy pumping the cpr but you know there's no chance for him. Just too late. For instance in one case they were down at the city beach (we were near the sea wall) a father and his kids (none could swim). There's a deep spot the kids went under and the father ran out into the surf. I didn't see it too far away but read it in the papers the next day. Meanwhile the kids randomly happened to catch a wave and drifted in but the father went under immediately. It took ten minutes for the rescue boat to get there but by then it was too late.

Once you have seen or participated in a few rescues you'll understand you want to save every life you can. It's a terrible feeling when you lose one.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:09 am

We probably should take first aid and life saving courses to know the best way to help. Also, figure out the best techniques for kite surfers to use in rescue situations.
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
Bille (Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 pm)

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 pm

Qiter wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 am
I am sure many have seen the below video..

It shows very well how its done.
You can also see how the rescued grab the bar, which is potentially dangerous... But the kiter manages it well!
Indeed. They reached for the bar right away, but the kiter handled it perfectly and he didn't seem to be struggling. You can tell the person (if not in panic) to hold the bar on the center.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
Not sure if it is possible to give general advice in such a situation. If the person is flapping around like crazy you might just do more harm than good getting too close. If you can calmly communicate with the person I don't see any problem getting in close as long as you are fairly skilled. Not sure what I would do. Probably drop my board and ask the person to hang on to my harness/leash. Body drag back.

My leash snapped once leaving me in the middle of nowhere without a kite. It was a lot easier to swim back with the board than without one - or at least a lot more comfortable. So giving someone your board (even a TT) would help in my opinion.

I can't see it being mentioned but I really hope the kiter got a fine for breaking Covid-19 protocol. Keep your distance is the most important thing.
Please keep in mind that not all parts of the World are like yours ;)

Atm we in AU (exWA) are not under any protocols. So this is quite "fluid" advice...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:27 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm
Havre wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
Not sure if it is possible to give general advice in such a situation. If the person is flapping around like crazy you might just do more harm than good getting too close. If you can calmly communicate with the person I don't see any problem getting in close as long as you are fairly skilled. Not sure what I would do. Probably drop my board and ask the person to hang on to my harness/leash. Body drag back.

My leash snapped once leaving me in the middle of nowhere without a kite. It was a lot easier to swim back with the board than without one - or at least a lot more comfortable. So giving someone your board (even a TT) would help in my opinion.

I can't see it being mentioned but I really hope the kiter got a fine for breaking Covid-19 protocol. Keep your distance is the most important thing.
Please keep in mind that not all parts of the World are like yours ;)

Atm we in AU (exWA) are not under any protocols. So this is quite "fluid" advice...
Fair point. Oceania I would imagine would be excluded - then again I wouldn't be allowed to travel there so really no risk in my ending up in a situation where I would do the wrong thing. On the other hand I might have confused some Aussies and Kiwis etc. with my post - which was not my intention. Hopefully that is clarified now.

As for the rest of the world I would assume the recommendations would be the same. Seeing all advice etc. are based on solid basic science and can therefore not be questioned unless you are an idiot (like I used to be before I got sent my soma).

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:37 pm

I find this an interesting topic to discuss and would certainly like to think that if the situation arose I would do everything possible to save a fellow human being.

Please can we avoid turning it into a pointless argument about Covid? Havre I think we all know what you are trying to do and it’s neither big nor clever.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Topaz (Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:25 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:59 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:37 pm
I find this an interesting topic to discuss and would certainly like to think that if the situation arose I would do everything possible to save a fellow human being.

Please can we avoid turning it into a pointless argument about Covid? Havre I think we all know what you are trying to do and it’s neither big nor clever.
You will also find a serious post about this on the topic written by me - feel free to comment on that if you want. Seems like the clever thing to do if you would like to influence the direction of this thread.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:04 pm

My new plan , for saving a victim :

We must use a PDF at both Mohave and Lake Mead ; so i'm
going to sew a Velcro flap to the back of mine, and lace
a 5-m line of cord back and forth, then lock it down with the
Velcro flap. One end of the cord get's permanently attached
to the PDF, and the other end of the cord will get a small locking
carabiner to the back of my harness.

If the time ever comes, to rescue someone , then I will simply remove
my PDF , and toss it to them ; if they try to climb up the cord
to get to me , (then i'll just let go of the cord).

The cord will be 800-Lb spectra line, we use for towing
PG and HG ; it's about the size of shoe-lace. It's braided
so Velcro will stick to it.

What do ya think ; Yea or Nay ?

Bille

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Sounds a decent plan although some pretty strong stitching will be required - dragging the weight of someone in the water behind you will put some pretty hefty forces on the attachment of the line.
Also that would tend to turn the person backwards behind you - possibly a good thing as would keep their head out of the water better?

Return to “Kitesurfing”