Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Forum for kitesurfers
Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby Bille » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:46 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm

As usual you are missing the point Hugh2. And clearly I'm not trolling.
Anyway. I'm not here to discuss that - those are just the facts. Don't blame me for having been right.

Sounds like, your trolling ?

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 'I was just delighted to help': Kite surfer rescues swimmer in difficulty in West Cork

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:18 am

Havre wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:37 pm
I can't see it being mentioned but I really hope the kiter got a fine for breaking Covid-19 protocol. Keep your distance is the most important thing.
How many times have I told you and others to note your sarcasm????

You even have Billy confused.

The point you made about government mandated covid restrictions preventing this specific rescue did not come across as you intended for a large number of forum users. Yes it's stupid to prevent a rescue because it could give you a slight chance of contracting a virus that has a slight chance of killing you, and you have a slight chance of passing that on to someone who has a slight chance of dying and passing it on to others. And some people here get that it's stupid to prevent someone from saving drowning swimmer because of a slight chance of something else. But some don't, though some of those giving you a hard time seem to being doing so just because it's you (obviously personal).

Just try to be clear for those here that need that clarity to get on the same level as you. There are all ranges of emotional maturity/intelligence here in this forum. Noting your sarcasm makes your ideas more inclusive.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby andylc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am

This is a thread about rescuing people, not another opportunity to try and make your point about Covid, whether whoever it is thinks they’re being clever and funny or not. It’s just a bit boring and spoils an interesting discussion.

Back on subject, I’m certainly considering getting a Restube and possibly taking my long leash out attached to the back of my harness. Still undecided on PFD though!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:54 am

andylc wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am
This is a thread about rescuing people, not another opportunity to try and make your point about Covid, whether whoever it is thinks they’re being clever and funny or not. It’s just a bit boring and spoils an interesting discussion.

Back on subject, I’m certainly considering getting a Restube and possibly taking my long leash out attached to the back of my harness. Still undecided on PFD though!
I tried taking my long leash out a few times as an emergency board connection leash. Its annoying as it flaps the back of your legs and feels like it might catch on something whilst sitting in the water - e.g. wrap around your fins as you waterstart. If you want to do this, get a bunch of elastic bands and fold it length ways a few times - secure with the elastic bands - to reduce the length.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:02 pm

I can see that being a literal pain in the arse. Like the Restube though. It might even save me one day...
Last edited by andylc on Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:07 pm

andylc wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am

And you keep on discussing me. As you can see my posts are about rescuing people, but you ignore that part and keep on discussing me. How is that discussing rescuing people?

Yes. Back on subject. Feel free to PM me if you would like to continue on your main concern in this thread.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm

Years ago I was involved in one rescue. After a 2+ hour session I was putting away my gear in the parking lot. It was late afternoon and the beach was pretty much deserted. I heard someone crying help and I turned to see two kayakers about 100 yards off the beach. One was in the water struggling to get back into his kayak. I ran across the parking lot down to the shore and swam out to them. Fortunately the kayaker down in the water had his lifevest on, but was elderly and extremely exhausted and was barely able to hang on to the kayak. The other kayaker was his 10 year old grandson and could not tow him back in. I told him to relax and I swam him back to shore. By the time I got him back in there were others on the beach to assist as I was pretty much tired out myself. The paramedics arrived and they checked him out and fortunately he was OK. As for me, my blood sugar had dropped (I have hypoglycemia) but I made it home okay. Now I carry protein/carb bars and Gatorade in case it drops during or after a session.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:03 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:09 pm
As for me, my blood sugar had dropped (I have hypoglycemia) but I made it home okay. Now I carry protein/carb bars and Gatorade in case it drops during or after a session.
Thanks for your service to a person you didn't even know. But thanks most of all for putting yourself at risk. Every rescue is a risk to the rescuers. That's the main reason your name and current number should be on your kite and board - it can save rescue personnel from unnecessary risk.

As for Harve's point.... I think you would have to be a complete idiot to obey a government regulation that requires you to watch an innocent person die because there is a risk they may have a disease that has virtually no chance of killing you. Governments do some stupid s@!+. You dont have to do what they tell you, especially if your life or the life of others is at risk.

But as others have pointed out, the real risk you must consider in a rescue situation is whether or not you WILL make the situation worse. So definetly consider training and/or carrying rescue gear.

Kiteaddicted
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Te Atatu, Auckland
St Kilda, Melbourne
Style: Freeride
Gear: Airrush Switch twin tip
Naish Global Surfboard
9m Slingshot Rally
12m Airush Union
18m Airush Lithium Zero

Postby Kiteaddicted » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:17 am

How about a second leash? Good for creating a loop as previously suggested and lower risk drift launching as always attached to the kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pm

None of the rescues I saw last year required a pfd or restube and most everyone involved was doing their first rescue. I wouldn't mind a restube but it's just one more thing and I'm not sure how often I would remember to wear it. You just tow that drowning person into shore it's pretty simple. It's much easier for us to rescue someone than a life guard who has to paddle out or swim out and then swim back. They might be swimming for 30 minutes to rescue someone while it might take us 2 or 3 minutes to tow someone in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”