Forum for kitesurfers
richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Hyperlink launching issues

Postby richieski » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi, I am really struggling to launch this kite with pressure in the wing tips.
Tried downwind in lighter winds and 45 deg in higher winds.
Both ways it launches too quickly before the wing tips fill up.
I tried launching it with bar out and it stays at 12 with tips flapping.
Tried with bar pressure and it collapses.

Any tips of links to vids much appreciated.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Ozone Hyperlink launching issues

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm

Most foil kites launch without pressure in the wing tips. Flying the kite is necessary in order to get full operating pressure.

The only real way around it is to pre-inflate with a leaf blower or to do an assisted launch (although whether you'll find someone who knows how to do that on the beach is another matter).

I suspect I'm missing the real problem here though. Is the problem the big spikes of power whilst the kite is filling up?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 pm

richieski wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm
Hi, I am really struggling to launch this kite with pressure in the wing tips.
Tried downwind in lighter winds and 45 deg in higher winds.
Both ways it launches too quickly before the wing tips fill up.
I tried launching it with bar out and it stays at 12 with tips flapping.
Tried with bar pressure and it collapses.

Any tips of links to vids much appreciated.
Launching a foil depowered especially with the bar out will make inflation time much longer. Try to keep the kite backstalled(trimmer for full power with the bar in) until its almost completely inflated and then trim as necessary. Practice in lower winds till you get the hang of it. Some foil kites inflate faster than others due to internal design. The longer it takes to inflate, the less control you will have as well.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:32 pm

This kite has the EASIEST launch and relaunch in the market..You are doing something wrong.Check some videos.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:19 am

Richieski,
As mentioned already, if you sheet out when the kite launches you will not pressurize the kite quickly. Ensure you use the brake handle to keep the kite deep in the window and the kite will fill fast. If your kite is not pressured when it reaches 12, no big deal... just grab a bit of brake, with bar fully sheet in and move kite side to side. With a bit of practice you will see how easy it is. Just be careful as a fully pressurized foil kite will be that much more powerful when launching...

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am

All my experience is on a 12m Hyperlink V1 and 15m Chrono V2. Not sure how other kites work, but what everyone else says is true. You want to over sheet the kite (keep the bar pulled towards you) when launching the kite. It helps to preinflate a little. I shake the canopy a bit, then launch to 45 degrees upwind off the kite. I very slowly walk one wingtip up until the kite starts sliding, then pull the bar in as it takes off. Tips will collapse, but fill pretty quickly.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am

I don't see the problem here. Flapping wingtips are usual process of launching a foil kite. Do you mean that they keep flapping and kite doesn't fill up at all? In that case make sure the zipper is closed and there are no tears through which the air might escape. Also check the seams if they are not too stretched out.

I've seen someone with a really ancient Speed, which failed to fill its wingtip, barely flying. Guess it was losing so much air through the seams and fabric it couldn't keep proper internal pressure.

richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone

Postby richieski » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 am

Thanks for feedback. So the only real real comparison I have is to open cell foils with obviously fill instantly. Just wanted to know if there was any tips. Thinking about it, as mentioned makes sense to launch without full pressure as it will!l be full power. I will practise with bar in. So when launching in stronger winds at 45. Do I have trim out and bar in?
When trying before sometimes it just filled one side , launched and went to a spin as other side had no time to inflate. Basically once 1 side started to inflate it launched, I could not keep it down to help inflate it more.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 am

I don't have the experience with stronger wind speeds (only been out a few times in strong wind) but the general idea is to keep the power on until the kite fills. Foil kites generally create power as they fly through the window. By stalling the kite at the edge of the window (and in videos from flysurfer you can see Armin using full power on the top side of the bar and then pulling the float on the downward side to be able to steer and keep the kite low) you can theoretically wait for the kite to fill before bringing the kite up from the ground.

The way I understand it, by backstalling/applying full power, the two skins of the kite pull apart which allows the kite to fill.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am

I do highly recommend using some weight on your wingtip, might it be a sandbag or big water bottle. When you launch it from 45 degrees it allows you to keep it at more controllable "cobra stance", that's when it fills with air pretty fast, yet still don't leave the ground. When your kite is gonna be filled better it would take off by itself with minimal wingtip flapping. If weight doesn't roll off from the wingtip, just yank the power lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”