Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotune Evo vs Rebel

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotune Evo vs Rebel

Postby Havre » Wed May 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Would not recommend a beginner riding an overpowered Rebel. That could easily be a fairly brutal ride. I don't know the Evo (never ridden one), but it having a less "brutal" design might just make the actual kiteable windrange for a beginner bigger.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Duotune Evo vs Rebel

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Topaz wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:01 pm
Blackened wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 pm
Topaz wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:45 am

That's very precise! :) Where did you get that from?
I owned both in various sizes in 2019 and flew both in 2020 versions. The Rebel had closer high end in 2018/2019 and was offset about the same on both ends. In 2020 they changed the material layout, which changed the characteristics slightly. Most of the Rebel power is generated towards the low end now and gets overpowering much more quickly than the previous version. The Evo obviously went pulleyless, but I didn't really feel it changed the overall performance of the kite in my use - it just felt more direct and was slightly better for looping.

I have not flown any 2021 versions, so the top end may have narrowed again this year.
Ok, so in the end it's guts feeling.
Same here, I've always felt that Rebel's (as well as Switchblades) have the widest range of every kite I flew, but of course I may be wrong. Wind changes all the time. The wind meter at the port Everglades here in South Florida publishes the data every six minutes and there is always a variation of at least four or five knots, even on days when the wind feels super stable and consistent.
I own a 7,9 & 11m Rebel from 2021. I also flown the laters Evo's and i can tell you guys just like Duotone itself says, Rebel is the one with the better low ánd high end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”