Weight: 60
Gear: Trying to find a new set
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotune Evo vs Rebel

Postby yotamss » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am

Havre wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm
What is your weight?

Both will work, but for most my guess is that the Evo would be a better fit. Rebel is not the kite you want to lose control over.
My weight is around 58 KG.

brighamj
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone Neo 7, Evo 9, Rebel 10, Evo 12, Juice 15
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby brighamj » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 pm

EVO. I own both.

I second the "be cautious of used gear" advice, esp if it came out of a school.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm

yotamss wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am
Havre wrote:
What is your weight?

Both will work, but for most my guess is that the Evo would be a better fit. Rebel is not the kite you want to lose control over.
Defintely Evo then in my opinion.

Rebel's construction is useful for heavy riders (like myself), but I can't see it being better than an Evo for a ligthweight beginner.

Is this your instructor's personal kites - or the school's?

Personally I wouldn't be too worried buying a kite used for teaching, but I would clearly pay less for such a kite than a normal second hand.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm

^^ + 1

Don't narrow your search to those two kites. Study the the different options, decide what type of kite and which model you like better, at least on the papers, try to test kites. Then set your budget and go for it, either used or new.

yotamss
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020

Postby yotamss » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm
yotamss wrote:
Havre wrote:
What is your weight?

Rebel's construction is useful for heavy riders (like myself), but I can't see it being better than an Evo for a ligthweight beginner.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried buying a kite used for teaching, but I would clearly pay less for such a kite than a normal second hand.
Thanks! My instructor's school get those kites (not sure how they get the kites), and they give 1-year warranty for the second-hand kites - the price of an Evo 9 is about 1200$.

yotamss
Rare Poster

Postby yotamss » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 pm

Topaz wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:26 pm
^^ + 1

Don't narrow your search to those two kites. Study the the different options, decide what type of kite and which model you like better, at least on the papers, try to test kites. Then set your budget and go for it, either used or new.
What do you recommend? how about Bandit? good for beginners?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm

yotamss wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:31 pm
Havre wrote:
yotamss wrote:

Thanks! My instructor's school get those kites (not sure how they get the kites), and they give 1-year warranty for the second-hand kites - the price of an Evo 9 is about 1200$.
With or without a bar? I'm no expert on pricing in the US (if using dollars as a currency is an indicator of where you are based), but if that is without a bar it sounds expensive to me. Others can comment better than me on that though.

As a beginner I would say it doesn't matter much if you get an Evo, Bandit or whatever. You might demo them, but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell much difference - and what you would prefer. Much easier to get your second, third kite etc. Not that I wouldn't recommend testing different kites if you can - it won't hurt of course. What you will typically find is that people like what they themselves are riding (me being a good example. My first kite was an Ozone Catalyst - and I think that kite is a fantastic kite for a beginner). 3-struts do it all kites is rarely very bad for any type of rider. There is no consensus as to which one of these are the "best", but I would try to avoid something like the Rebel, Ozone Edge etc. which are made for jumping. Mainly because if/when you lose control of the kite you will be thrown around a lot more than what you would do with something like an Evo etc.

Personally I'm not a fan of the split Duotone uses with their lines, especially not for beginners, but probably not such a big problem seeing Duotone is possible the biggest brand out there - and I'm sure many of their customers are beginners.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:25 pm

yotamss wrote:
If without bar, that's the price of a last-year-brand-new kite. The warranty is a good thing, though. They'll probably repair your kite if it fails and it's not your fault?

If you're not too desperate to get your kite, then browse around the web to check prices. Real Kiteboarding has some nice sales now for new stuff.
Are you planning on getting one kite or two? You also have to decide the size or sizes you'll get, considering the wind at your local spot. Being light weight, you'll do fine with one or two sizes smaller than average.
If you have plenty of mid and strong wind, maybe 10m and 7m could work for you. If it's more like light wind, maybe a 10m 14m combo.
If you have to make it a one kite quiver, something in the 10m-12m range could work.

But if you're done with your lessons and are really eager to jump on the water right away, Just get the Evo or Rebel that your instructor offered you and go with that. Those are good kites and you'll be able to sell them in the future once you have a better idea of what you want.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:43 pm

In my opinion, it depend on the size you want to buy.
For a 12m or a 9m kite => EVO
For a 7m kite => Rebel.

Evo is a 3 strut kite that will perform great in light to moderate wind.
It still does wonder in high wind condition, but the Rebel with its 5 struts will keep its shape and be more rigid.

If you plan to buy a bigger kite than 12m, the Juice is also a great option.
These users thanked the author Baptiste_FR for the post:
yotamss (Sat May 01, 2021 9:59 am)
Rating: 6.67%

yotamss
Rare Poster

Postby yotamss » Sat May 01, 2021 7:47 am

Havre wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 pm
yotamss wrote:
Havre wrote:

With or without a bar? I'm no expert on pricing in the US (if using dollars as a currency is an indicator of where you are based), but if that is without a bar it sounds expensive to me. Others can comment better than me on that though.

As a beginner I would say it doesn't matter much if you get an Evo, Bandit or whatever. You might demo them, but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell much difference - and what you would prefer. Much easier to get your second, third kite etc. Not that I wouldn't recommend testing different kites if you can - it won't hurt of course. What you will typically find is that people like what they themselves are riding (me being a good example. My first kite was an Ozone Catalyst - and I think that kite is a fantastic kite for a beginner). 3-struts do it all kites is rarely very bad for any type of rider. There is no consensus as to which one of these are the "best", but I would try to avoid something like the Rebel, Ozone Edge etc. which are made for jumping. Mainly because if/when you lose control of the kite you will be thrown around a lot more than what you would do with something like an Evo etc.

Personally I'm not a fan of the split Duotone uses with their lines, especially not for beginners, but probably not such a big problem seeing Duotone is possible the biggest brand out there - and I'm sure many of their customers are beginners.
Yeah, 1200$ with a bar and a year warranty. thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”