Style: Freeride
Gear: RRD Obsession 7
Airrush DNA 10
LF Envy 12
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

"Beginner" kites

Postby Wehavethewind » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am

The kite I use 90% of the time is a 10m 2015 Airush DNA. It's a so-called "beginner" kite. I like its massive wind range, easy nature and it even turns quite quickly (actually I don't like kites that turn too quickly, I find it harder to time jumps). Also seems to self launch nicely. I'm an early intermediate I guess, ie toeside, small-ish jumps, etc. I have no intention to unhook or do big loops.

Am I really missing anything by not upgrading to a more "advanced" kite? If I did upgrade, it would be to something like an Eleveight RS or similar (ie a 3 strut all rounder).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: "Beginner" kites

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:03 pm

If you live at a "clean wind location", you are missing out by not upgrading. In clean wind, you really get a chance to push the envelope of performance of the system. And a more advanced kite can provide more potential.

If you live at a location with gusty/turbulent wind, then you are likely just saving yourself some frustration by not upgrading. So stick with your kite..... for a long time.

In a few years of kiting in local gusty/turbulent conditions, when your beginner kite wears out, upgrade to a bit more advanced kite. But make sure that advanced kite is capable of handling gusty/turbulent conditions. Avoid kites like the Duotone Vegas or older Dice. But kites like the newer Duotone Dice or Slingshot RPM are well known for being advanced kites that can handle less than perfect wind.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Always a question of degree. In Zanzibar the guy I saw did the highest and most spectular jumps was on a Catalyst - another "beginner" kite. At a certain point it will limit you, but if you are jumping 2-3 meters know (hypothetically) you won't jump 15m on a "better" kite.

I went from a Catalyst (therefore I know it) to the Enduro. Quite similar to what you are thinking of. I prefer the Enduro - and I don't regret it, but it is not like there is a night and day difference. If I calculate the extra cost into hours on the water it would be quite ridiculous. So it depends on how much you ride, how much use you got for the money for other things etc. If you already got a 55" TV you might not need a new 65" etc.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:06 pm

Wehavethewind wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am
The kite I use 90% of the time is a 10m 2015 Airush DNA. It's a so-called "beginner" kite. I like its massive wind range, easy nature and it even turns quite quickly (actually I don't like kites that turn too quickly, I find it harder to time jumps). Also seems to self launch nicely. I'm an early intermediate I guess, ie toeside, small-ish jumps, etc. I have no intention to unhook or do big loops.

Am I really missing anything by not upgrading to a more "advanced" kite? If I did upgrade, it would be to something like an Eleveight RS or similar (ie a 3 strut all rounder).

Any thoughts appreciated.
Early intermediate is one notch above beginner. At this stage gear is not likely limiting your progression.

Fly other kites whenever you get the chance. Switch up when you prefer the feel of a faster turning kite.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Wehavethewind wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am
I'm an early intermediate I guess, ie toeside, small-ish jumps, etc. I have no intention to unhook or do big loops.
Save your money and invest in different types of boards. Try/borrow other kites when you get the chance.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 01, 2021 12:08 am

Yes, you need to compare with other kites to see if it is worth to upgrade.

Check with shops or brands when and where they do demos.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

funny I rode the DNA for my first couple years on the water.

I would say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". you seem to be happy with your kite and maybe just feeling some peer pressure from others with newer kites. but honestly if you like your kite stick with it - your experience won't change dramatically.

i liked the DNA and think it's a robust and great all-round kite. i found it a has a bit of heavy construction and bigger leading edge. but you use mainly your 10m so i assume you ride only onn windy days (not ultra light wind) where this factor becomes less important. also if you don't want to go into huge jumps, freestyle or loops i don't see much advantage for you to change. as toby says though if you can give others a try to get a feel for the differences.

Return to “Kitesurfing”