Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Cabrinha: Implementation of Bio-Based Dyneema

Postby Toby » Wed May 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Cabrinha News:

Implementation of Bio-Based Dyneema

cab 1.jpg

Cabrinha is proud to announce a major shift towards a more sustainable manufacturing process with a switch to Bio-based Dyneema® lines for control systems.

Bio-based Dyneema® fiber boasts the exact same performance as conventional Dyneema® with a carbon footprint that is 90% lower than generic HMPE fiber. As well as its extraordinary strength, Bio-based Dyneema® excels in cut and abrasion resistance and has a high resistance to UV, a crucial benefit for its use in flying lines. So, whatever style you ride, ride with the confidence and trust in a product that lessens your footprint, not your performance.

Put safety first & explore Cabrinha's extensive range of ISO conforming Control Systems: https://www.cabrinha.com/collections/bars
cab 2.jpg

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha: Implementation of Bio-Based Dyneema

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed May 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Last edited by tegirinenashi on Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Kudos to Cabrinha for making a step in the right direction!
Surely the biobased Dyneema lines won't have a dramatic direct impact on saving this planet, but it's more the awareness what we need and can do.

I'm looking forward to more 'greener' materials entering our sport, apart from the packaging and luggage. It's a challenge, but doable.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu May 06, 2021 1:05 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm
Surely the biobased Dyneema lines won't have a dramatic direct impact on saving this planet, but it's more the awareness what we need and can do.

I'm looking forward to more 'greener' materials entering our sport, apart from the packaging and luggage. It's a challenge, but doable.
Ha ha ha ha frickin ha!

Nixy, thanks for letting me know that awareness HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH complacency (sarcasm).

Great that our world has been made cleaner and better since the 60's when we first became "aware", and that awareness has increased while our enviorment has become cleaner (again, sarcasm).

I mean just say it aloud a few times: "Our oceans are not filled with plastic, heavy metals, nuclear waste, and toxic chemical/pharmaceutical byproduct waste - they are filled with wonderful awareness!" (And that's the sarcasm hat trick).

So actually if you graph "awareness" vs the cleanliness of the enviorment over time, well both of those lines seem to be on the exact same upward slope........ well maybe we could just change the word for "toxic enviormentally damaging waste" to "awareness", then I guess that solves the problem... or at least makes us feel better. (Now I'm just over doing the sarcasm)

Anybody else get the feeling that the effort to find a way to cut down trees and turn them into kite lines may not be the best expenditure of resources to save the enviorment?
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
RedSky (Sun May 23, 2021 5:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:05 pm
nixmatters wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Ha ha ha ha frickin ha!

Nixy, thanks for letting me know that awareness HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH complacency (sarcasm).

Great that our world has been made cleaner and better since the 60's when we first became "aware", and that awareness has increased while our enviorment has become cleaner (again, sarcasm).

I mean just say it aloud a few times: "Our oceans are not filled with plastic, heavy metals, nuclear waste, and toxic chemical/pharmaceutical byproduct waste - they are filled with wonderful awareness!" (And that's the sarcasm hat trick).

So actually if you graph "awareness" vs the cleanliness of the enviorment over time, well both of those lines seem to be on the exact same upward slope........ well maybe we could just change the word for "toxic enviormentally damaging waste" to "awareness", then I guess that solves the problem... or at least makes us feel better. (Now I'm just over doing the sarcasm)

Anybody else get the feeling that the effort to find a way to cut down trees and turn them into kite lines may not be the best expenditure of resources to save the enviorment?
This is probably the same kind of thing as biomass; Neutral on paper, not in practice. In stead of getting the ethylene from trees that died millions of years ago, they get it from living trees. I looked into it a tiny bit, and it's mostly advertising without getting into detail. I wonder how much 'waste' from trees is neccessary for a kg of ethylene compared to fossil. If it's in the same ratio as energy, they're gonna need a lot of trees.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm

Makes a new meaning for "organic bar". With the right hand side (colored red) marked as "the wrong side of the history".

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm
Makes a new meaning for "organic bar". With the right hand side (colored red) marked as "the wrong side of the history".
That was a good one! :lol:

To get a glimpse of what DSM is trying to achieve, take a look at this and interpret it however you wish.
I teach my kids that excess use of plastic is a bad thing and I believe it will make a difference one day. They do now use both sides of a piece of paper knowing that less trees will die that way.

Faxie, just watch the video, 0:26 "sourcing by-product from the timber and pulp industries". Obviously no one is planting trees to chop then down for making kite lines.
Attachments
IMG-20210506-WA0010.jpg

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm
tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm
That was a good one! :lol:

To get a glimpse of what DSM is trying to achieve, take a look at this and interpret it however you wish.
I teach my kids that excess use of plastic is a bad thing and I believe it will make a difference one day. They do now use both sides of a piece of paper knowing that less trees will die that way.

Faxie, just watch the video, 0:26 "sourcing by-product from the timber and pulp industries". Obviously no one is planting trees to chop then down for making kite lines.
Sure, you believe that. It's a fact that 100% of what marketing departments say is true offcourse. They have absolutely no reason to deceive you. -Just like sigarette manufacturers decades ago, who honestly cared a lot about the health of people- That's why they don't tell you that the 'by-product' comes from already chopped trees. 'We're not chopping trees, we're just using the by-products, so it's aaaallll good'

DSM is using the current enviromental narrative and sentiment from the gullible public for their own profits, without giving the complete picture. A lot of companies are doing that btw. They don't care about the environment first, they care about what's the best way to sell a product in the current day and age.

It's certainly not all rainbows and sunshine when it comes to 'bio'

For instance:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 015-0855-1
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/sc5000804

"Few studies, however, fully assess other environmental impacts; for those that do, bioethanol is typically at a disadvantage when compared to fossil fuels, with the key trade-offs being higher levels of acidification, eutrophication, and ozone depletion due to their use of nitrogen compounds in agricultural production." Pretty ironic when you consider that in the Netherlands we've had a 'nitrogen crisis' 2 years ago because of the cars and the cows. How dare they?

Bio-ethylene has a CO2 advantage according to the research (and probably only on paper, just like burning trees is CO2 neutral on paper, but I'm not gonna look into that any further) but that's mostly it.

Btw:
https://science.howstuffworks.com/envir ... astic1.htm
https://www.ecoenclose.com/Paper-versus ... -Plastic-/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paper-or ... a_n_111547

There a tons of articles like that. You should teach your kids that overconsuming is wrong regardless of the product, and proper waste disposal is important. And don't buy new kites untill the old ones are complete worn out offcourse.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
Pera (Thu May 06, 2021 8:01 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 pm
And don't buy new kites untill the old ones are complete worn out offcourse.
Woah there!

I think it’s all good to keep our gear out of the landfill and ocean but let’s be honest: I’m reading the KF because I’m trying to decide my next kite or board.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Faxie (Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 pm)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm

:o
Nothing to draw out the anti-science lunies on KF like a post about the environment. Good on Cab. one step in the right direction.

Return to “Kitesurfing”