Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Reach vs. Pivot: Any reviews?

Postby CorradoWest » Wed May 05, 2021 7:55 pm

I'm starting to think about replacing my 12M Pivot. I really like the Pivot, but I have never really been a fan of the ATB control bar. I also have a 2020 9M Orbit and I like the Navigator 2021 bar that I got with it. I will at some point try the Pivot with the Navigator bar. I am also investigation the Reach 12M as I would like a three strut kite for my big kite.

I have searched on line for "Pivot vs. Reach" reviews but have found none. When I find a Reach review, it seems the there are always people asking for a review against the Pivot. Did I miss this comparison review or video?
I would like to get the forum's take if anyone has ridden these kites back to back. Ideally we get back to a place where we can demo again.
Thanks

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Reach vs. Pivot: Any reviews?

Postby PAFF » Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Fine kites..

If you use a surfboard on the 12m, go Reach, if its a TwinTip go Pivot..

If u like the topend on a 12m kite, go Pivot. If you like low end powred kiting, go reach.

IMHO, the Pivot is a fun devil in top end. Boy that baby can boost and still give you the feel of control. But i do like the light and easy feel of the Reach.

The blonde or brunette. ;)
These users thanked the author PAFF for the post:
nixmatters (Fri May 07, 2021 3:41 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:12 am

First try the Navigator bar with your Pivot. That’s my setup, although my biggest Pivot is 11m. Last summer when trying to decide on a new 10m I tried the Reach and Pivot back-to-back as rentals from REAL at OBX, riding at Salvo day use area on the sound, so flat water and mostly simple jumps. The Reach has a somewhat more rigid feel, presumably because it has fixed bridle lines, with no slider. The Pivot felt a bit more accommodating, especially of gusts, having as usual a single slider in the bridle. As I was already very comfortable with Pivots since 2015, I decided to stick with it and am very happy with the 2020. It is a major improvement over the earlier models in several ways you can read all about. But I imagine I would have liked the Reach too.

luca
Frequent Poster

Postby luca » Thu May 06, 2021 9:40 am

Both are aweswome. I like the Navigator bar much more than Naish.
You can choose by Design and Brand what you prefer. It is like mentioned before. Blond or Brunette with perfect body... what do you prefer?! Both kites are perfect as an 3-Strut Allrounder.

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North

Postby CorradoWest » Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 pm

"Blonde or Brunette"....I guess either way I will be good to go.
Great feedback, I appreciate it.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri May 07, 2021 2:22 am

Don't you get a brunette when you flip a blonde upside down?? lol
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
Kerplow (Fri May 07, 2021 6:31 am)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 am

I prefer blond. The Pivot is blond. But to be fair I don´t know the brunette.. :lol: .

Christoph81
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Naish Pivot & Slingshot RPM
Been thanked: 0

Postby Christoph81 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:04 am

Hi! This question (Reach vs. Pivot) is really on my mind... as I do not have a chance to test both of them :-(

Maybe someone can give a feedback especially to those questions which I'm interested in - especially for smaller kites like 7 and 9m:

1) Pop: Is there any significant differnce between the Reach and the Pivot? Which of them - in your opinion - does have more pop?

2) High jumps and control: I just managed to test an 8m Pivot at quite strong winds and jumping high was really insane. Compared to my RPMs it was much higher and at the same time I always was very confident and never felt somehow unsecure while going as big as possible. With the RPMs I really had more respect even if I did not go that big... But the stearing of Pivot was intuitive from the very first second.
So my question is: How would you compare this secure feeling of the Pivot with the Reach? And does the Reach goes similar big as the Pivot? What are your experiences?

3) Wave: Pivot or Reach? Or are both quite similar in terms of the drift and the light stearing?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :-)
Cheers, Christoph

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:14 am

matth wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:22 am
Don't you get a brunette when you flip a blonde upside down?? lol
nope a brunette with bad breath :D

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:21 pm

For boosting go with the Pivot. For easy cruising around go with the Reach.
I ride my pivot with the North bar, never even tried the Naish bar.

The pivot has more bar pressure than the reach, which is the only thing I don't like about it. The reach is a decent all round kite, but nothing particularly special about it. I found the reach almost boring.
I tried a 9m reach in 30 knots winds, and yes it can jump, but as a beginner I find it too fast. The kite also had poor loft, so I would not recommend it for boosting.
I found jumping with a pivot is far more comfortable with way greater loft and control.

The pivot has more character, and I found much better drift. The pivot also turns better. In a fast cranking turn I found the reach would often stall/choke, letting me down just when I thought it could pull through.
Personally if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the Pivot.
These users thanked the author Gestalt for the post:
Christoph81 (Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:32 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”