Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 93kg
Gear: none at the moment
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

1st own gear for a pair

Postby topjes » Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Hello community! :bye: :D

Last year we starting learning kitesurfing and wakeboarding. Super cool sports so we totally "bought it" :)
After a year we are able to ride upwind, I am able to do transitions, starting to do toeside etc. So basic trips. We feel we are ready to buy our own gear.

HE (ME): 93 kg, 187 cm; willing to spend more time riding, intensive learner, learn tricks like backrolls, raleys etc
SHE: 75 kg, 180 cm; rather slower pace, more coutious, she will ride less and in optimum wind condititons by defult

As a rule of thumb we rather not kite at the same time so we can share gear. If not then most probably we might need 2 similar boards.

As for spots we are able to travel 2-3 times a year to spots like Greece, Mexico, Fuertaventura etc for predictable wind. Apart of that, most time we will kite in Poland, Hel, where the wind is better in spring and autumn and quite shitty in summer so we need an option for light wind sessions.

So can you help us with our thoughts?
KITE - ideal setup?
We don't use the same kite at the same time. Even if we ride at the same time as we assume that having kites differentiated by 3 m2 will allow us to use different kites always?
So does it make sense?
* 9 m2 - shopping priority #2?
* 12 m2
* 15 m2
Should we go with brands like Duotone Evo, Cabrihna Switchblade etc? Or start with something cheaper like Airush Lithium, Spleene, other brands? I also find Tona Stratus interesting however there is very little information about it and I'm not sure if it makes any sense persuing it.

BOARD
* either one board around 142-145 for us? Something universal and simple as entry-level board from Cabrihna, Duotone, Slinghot?
What I'm afraid is that I'm much more aggresive rider and progressive quicker and with my 93 kg I might need stiffer board? I read testimonial of people who see difference in boards like Tona Pop, Joy Ride or boards with carbon inserts for my weight.
* so the option #2 would be one entry-level board for her around 140-145 cm
* and one stiffer board around 145 cm for me?

LIGTH WIND CONDITIONS
Last thing. I understand there are two options
1. Light wind 17 m2 kite like Spleen Big Air, Cabrihna Stratus etc
* Big board or door board like Lightwind, RLBoards, Spleene boards or something more expensive Cabrihna, Duotone etc. I tend to lean towards 160x45+ rather that 152-155 for myself?

2. Foil
* so instead of big kite 17m2 go for foil board and use the kites 9/12/15 I'm intending to buy? Board like Special Agent or other (I haven't done special research about the kite boards) - costs seem similar
* do I need extra foil kite in the beginning?
* I can play with wing (which looks cool) if I have foil board which might be advantege over big TT kite

Of course we don't need to buy everything on day 1. I'm just trying to understand the setup to be indepenedent from rental, friends etc.

Any advice welcomed :wink:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: 1st own gear for a pair

Postby Havre » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm

Personally I don't care much about the brand. Nothing to suggest that one brand makes consistently better kites than basically any other brand. If you are buying a lot of equipment in one go I would see if I could find a good deal somewhere for a "package". Easiest way to save some money is to make sure you can use the same bar for all kites. I got 4 kites, but just one bar (well I have two bars, but they are the same). Type of kite is more important than brand. As always people tend to recommend what they got themselves.

9/12/15 (or 17) works. I don't know the wind in Hel, but I am assuming it is quite light? A 9 as the smallest kite for someone at 75kg might not be ideal, but that highly depends on the conditions. In most places I have gone kiting you wouldn't need any smaller at 75kg, but in places like South-Africa and Brazil it would be too big as the smallest kite for her. Anyway you should find a slightly thinner (or shorter) girlfriend so that you can be out with the 12 while she is on the 9.

8/11 is quite a normal combination for girls. 8/11/14 or 15 should work fine. That would also depend on conditions and how much fun you think it is to ride in light winds.

As for bord I wouldn't worry much about the characteristics of the board just yet. Much easier to understand what you would like in your 2nd board having a bit more experience. I think you are on the right track in terms of size, but remember is not only about length, but also width. Width is arguably more important when you are talking about size. In my opinion you are much better off having a slightly too big board in the beginning than a board that is too small, but opinions might vary a bit there. Some will argue a big board will make you lazy in terms of technique, but I would argue a small board means you are not even riding. Something around 142x42 or bigger should work. Naish Hero is still the easiest board I have ever ridden. A board like that should work for both of you.

Personally I don't see the point in those monster big board (I think most beginners and maybe even intermediates are on boards that are too small, but I don't like the enormous ones either). Personal preference kind of thing. If you need a big board and a big kite you are basically not going to do much else than moving back and forth slowly. Some enjoy that so not judging or anything. I also used to kite whenever I could before so I guess as a beginner you might still want to. Now I can't be bothered going out if the wind is that weak.

Foil boards I have no clue. Some kites works well for both foiling and TT. If that is the direction you think you are going others on this board would be in a much better position than me to give guidance/tips.

topjes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 93kg
Gear: none at the moment

Postby topjes » Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Thx a lot Havre! Lots of good comments.

I had very good experience with bigger boards. When I started my trainings one my instructors was 70 kg. Really great guy but I think he undersstimated the role of the size od the board for a guy 93 kg. Then I switched to 155 and it was huge difference for me as a beginner.

This April I was kiting in Mexico - 12-20 knots on 17-12 kites. All sessions on 155 light wind carbon board. The experience was great. So such board makes sense. Im thinking about 152/160 light board for worse days and 143 or so, more aggressive? board for good conditions.

The issue with Hel is that I live during summer quite close and the wind is very often 10-12-15 knots. I just want to practice on one of these days as well. So I was wondering if I should go 17 kite or foil on these occasions.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 pm

topjes wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm
Thx a lot Havre! Lots of good comments.

I had very good experience with bigger boards. When I started my trainings one my instructors was 70 kg. Really great guy but I think he undersstimated the role of the size od the board for a guy 93 kg. Then I switched to 155 and it was huge difference for me as a beginner.

This April I was kiting in Mexico - 12-20 knots on 17-12 kites. All sessions on 155 light wind carbon board. The experience was great. So such board makes sense. Im thinking about 152/160 light board for worse days and 143 or so, more aggressive? board for good conditions.

The issue with Hel is that I live during summer quite close and the wind is very often 10-12-15 knots. I just want to practice on one of these days as well. So I was wondering if I should go 17 kite or foil on these occasions.
I agree with pretty much everything Havre said, we are lucky to have people like him here!
As for the board, I'd highly recommend the carbon Spleene Session 54 (154x47). (no affiliation whatsoever) It's not a door, it's super light and goes through chop like a limo. I'm 75-80kg and I thought it would be too big for me (for light to mid wind), but it's not. And your better half will definately love it, trust me!

But if you want to support a local to you brand - check SU2 (su dva in your language). They have also some very decent split boards that don't cost a fortune. In few trips it will pay off and you'll save yourself the hassle of dragging bulky luggage.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm

90 kg and 15 knots Wind: big board 17m kite!

90kg and 75kg always one size between you ; perfect!

I am 70 kg... 17m, 12m, 9m, 7m 5m
17/12 is perfect!
12/9 is close.... but perfect.

Board I hade a 155x46 big one.... learned on it...
Sold it after I got a 138x41.
Now also 134x40.
Both SU-2 🤦‍♂️ Did not plan that...

Even for 75 I would recommend a big board. After 15 times riding switch to a 140x42....

After 40 times riding you will know what you like!!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 06, 2021 10:28 pm

OP, that's a long email. It is great that you are putting some thought into this!
The good news you could be on the same kites even if she is a more cautious learner. 3m2 in between might be a tad too much, but will probably work depending a bit on board choices.
Don't fall for the one person wait and save on the bar. That will only be good until you go upwind (few sessions), then you'll fight over who stayed out too long etc. Get two bars.

If you are into Raleys tho, it might change the direction a bit since you need a kite with some pop. If jumping and doing rotations and loops you can be on the same kites. The kite sizes depends on average wind in your location. I would highly recommend getting the ideal kite size for you for your location, and the ideal kitesize for her. Then figure out what kites to get outside of that. I can highly recommend the Naish Pivot for the kind of riding, maybe except the unhooked tricks. It could work, but I have not tried much unhooked stuff on the pivots. If she is more cautious you could pick the pivot and she the Slash. Benefit is that the slash is great for foiling too. Pivot is decent for foiling, but a tad more punchy.

One thing you could consider for the first board is to get a huuuuge beater board with lots of float (not a door). They are hard to find tho. It's not a board you want to use beyond the first few sessions, but if you find one, it will probably be cheap and you can probably sell it for the same. Then get your ideal board. If you get a decent deal on the kites and board you might as well go for it and wait with using the TT until later and look for a beater at the same time. The first few sessions is all about figuring out how to go upwind. Once you do everything else comes really fast.

Personally I would not get a huge kite, I would much rather get a foil board (no need to get a foil kite for it), but you will not be able to ride the foil until you are comfortable going upwind and controlling the kite really well.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 am

topjes wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Hello community! :bye: :D

Hey fella, Welcome :)

Set your budget first, then fit what you can to that budget. Duotone tend to be the "premium" offering, but they (subjectively) don't really offer any better performance. Every kite has slightly different characteristics. Every brand has a 3-strut do-everything kite. You should be targeting that. For Duotone, it's the Evo, Cabrinha the Moto, etc. They also tend to work well for foiling, so in lighter winds you can cross purpose the smaller kites.

For light wind, there are quite varying opinions on this forum to what constitutes "fun". Personally, I'm 100kg and don't bother going out below 17kn on my 15m. Can I stay upwind in about 14kn? Yes. Do I find it even remotely fun? No. The general rule of thumb I like to follow is under 15kn = foiling.

(As you mentioned Duotone, I will give you Duotone examples, but every brand has similar categories)

BOARD SIZING:
1. Buy separate boards for and your partner.
2. Do not buy an entry level price point board - Gonzales, Prime, etc. They are lifeless and shit.
3. Buy a board for the water conditions you often ride. If you ride in chop, you should think about the Duotone Select. If you ride in flat, go with the SLS (carbon version). If you want something a bit more "advanced", look at the Jaime or SLS version.
4. In general your board size for your weight should be around the 140x42/43 range. If you are going to mainly be in lighter wind, you should consider sizing up to something in the 143x45 range. In the Duotone range, I think the biggest normal board they have is the 142x43, which probably would be enough for you. For your partner, I would say the 136x41 is a good normal board. If it's light, she can steal yours, and if it's pumping, you can steal hers :).

KITE SIZING:
1. The main thing is to check with your local dealers as to what sizing they think is right for your normal conditions. Wind conditions vary dramatically between locations and times of the year. For instance, here I'd use a 9m only above 30kn. In Capetown, I'm using a 9m in about 23kn.
2. For weights, you're not that far apart, so likely you'd be on a 2m difference. To use your example above, it would be a 12/10m combo rather than a 12/9m.
3. People on KiteForum extoll the virtues of giant lightwind kites. Ignore them. They are trolls. Do they get you out on the water 2kn earlier on a TT? Yes. Are they fun? No. Get a foil board.
*** Exception to the rule in #3 is Airstyle, where people use the biggest kite in the biggest wind they can hold for maximum hangtime***

FOILING:
1. If you get a do it all kite like the Evo, you can use the same kite quiver for foiling. You do not need special kites for this unless you get really interested/dedicated to foiling. You can start learning the basics of any discipline on a do-it-all kite, then swap kites down the road to what you need.
2. Foiling requires much less power than a TT. If you're on a 12m in 15kn, you're likely on a 10m in 12kn on a foil board.
3. Foiling requires decent kite control, so make sure you're comfortable with some basics like downloop transitions and kiteloops for board starts.

Good luck.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri May 07, 2021 12:12 am

So, a lot of people replied by the time I finished writing my giant post.

I didn't read it, but generally Havre and I agree on kite stuff, so feel free to ignore my post.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri May 07, 2021 12:38 am

Basic advice:
Kite - buy a 30% spaced size line - (6)/8/11/15 or (7)/9/12/15. Aim for kites like XR/Pivot/Switchblade. Try to find previous year model on sale to save. Make sure the 15 is lightwind kite (not same model as 6-12m) - a Contra/Turbine/Flite would do great (unlike 14m regular kite size for big boys). Don’t do 17m - too big, too heavy to travel with.
Bars - get two bars for both of you and 10-15m line extensions for light wind conditions. They really work and “boost” your kite size for lightwind riding.
Board - Get a 144x46cm Flysurfer Radical6 and it will be pretty good lightwind/easy board and get something in 137x42 size for tricks (and for your lady). Crazyfly makes good carbon if you insist on carbon. At 205lbs I ride 138x42.5cm Radical6 and I’m happy and I ride hard and boost high. There are more important properties than carbon, I learnt that. If you get a door board - get the biggest/square at you can find - you won’t be able to travel with it but you’ll ride glassy water with 15m and long lines on something 165x50cm big.

Do not buy foil kite. They’re amazing but demand clean sandy launch and extra hassle/care

Ask me about foil later. The 9m will become your biggest foiling kite so you’d need 5/7/9 quiver for that :)

headintheclouds
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Foil
Gear: Naish Dash/Boxer. Cab Moto/Contra
North Focous, Naish Traverse, Alaia
Been thanked: 0

Postby headintheclouds » Fri May 07, 2021 7:18 am

Naish has the Switch Board --> https://www.naishkites.com/product/switch/ the board has a lenght of 138cm on one side and a lenght of 142 on the other side, all you need to do is turn around the footstraps. This could be an interesting board if you dicide to buy just one board.
I would not buy a door Board, i would rather go with a high volume surfboard or foil board.

For the Kite size 8/11/15 seems to be fine, as mentioned bevore look for a lightwind kite for the 15m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”