Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

July - Wind/Waves Caribbean

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

July - Wind/Waves Caribbean

Postby adamj2281 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 am

Ok, so the wife wants to go somewhere for a few days in July. It's a quick trip, like 5 nights so....somewhere close to the east coast US and somewhere preferably with a bit of a rideable wave and something for her to do. Here's my options as I see them (we've been to Aruba twice, Curacao, and most of the US/BVI's), we are both vaccinated. I would go straight to Barbados but I don't trust the turnaround time on a COVID test once there, and don't want to be stuck in the hotel waiting on it. I'll travel with a directional and maybe my kitefoil, preference is riding the directional I get bored with the foil quick.

St. Martin - No COVID issues, just a test prior to going. Wife has wanted to go there, and is pretty fluent in French, staying Orient Bay. Just wondering if it's completely flat on the reef or if there's something in the waist+ range at least.

St. Lucia - Would basically be stuck at Coconut Bay, I don't love all inclusives, but with COVID restrictions it wouldn't be horrible. Again, any semblance of a wave on the reef there in early July?

Puerto Rico - I've been there quite a bit, but she hasn't, probably stay around Shacks or maybe Ocean Park. Cheaper flight on points.

Cabarete - Issue with Cabarete is I've gotta fly into Santiago because of points/airlines, etc. Flights to Puerto Plata are insane. Concerned with wife having anything to do there and logistics.

T&C I know has wind in July, but it's southeast and there will be nothing far as waves.

Anywhere else?

DDC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb NY
Gear: Cabrihna and north
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: July - Wind/Waves Caribbean

Postby DDC » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Sorry I can’t help you but How is Aruba? Thinking of going in December. Looking for waves and flat water. Other recommendations? Coming from the US Northeast as well and don’t want to travel too far.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: July - Wind/Waves Caribbean

Postby Toby » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:29 pm

Flying to Santiago isn’t a problem!

I did it two times and never any problems.

Taxi was about 100 USD, nice drive thru the mountains included!

Normally much cheaper than POP and more baggage included.

But best waves are normally during winter…but there should always be some waves at the reef and Encuentro.

Check Columbia as well…good winds and some waves around as well. Cartagena and all the way to the east to the Cabo de la Vela.

Cartagena with wife will be great, but better waves to the east, and there it is less nice for your wife I would say…

Return to “Kitesurfing”