Gear: Naish global
LF moon patrol
Tuflite 6'1
Reo 5 7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Duotone Vegas

Postby Mwaveman » Mon May 10, 2021 2:25 pm

I have a question. I have been kiting for 20 years but I switch back from windsurfing and then to kitesurfing again.
I kited the last decade purely on surfboards. But this winter a was in place on flat water where I rented a 12 m dice and rebel. I had a lot of fun. I preferred to dice to the rebel. The dice reminded me of my Vegas 06 12 m. I knew a guy who had a nearly new Vegas 12 m in the shed so I gave him a bottle of wine and fixed the valves and took the Vegas out. What still a brilliant kite. I am just a free ride person so I don’t un hook. Now I want to buy a new 12m again. Should a Vegas from 17, 18 or 2019 be the same as the 06 in the high depower setting or should I go for a dice. The Vegas 06 is really fun to fly.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Re: Duotone Vegas

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 am

Yes, a Vegas from >2017 will have excellent top end, probably slightly better than the 2006. In the right hands most "C" kites have a better top end than flatter kites, but they obviously can't come close lower end. Still some outstanding "C" kites out there, they just became unpopular as the marketing is all about waves, foiling and big air these days.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:
Mwaveman (Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Re: Duotone Vegas

Postby Topaz » Tue May 11, 2021 3:05 pm

I have a 10m 2016 Dice and an 11m 2015 Vegas that I ride

If you're not interested in riding un hooked, the Dice may be a better option. The Vegas feels more solid to me, the Dice feels softer and less direct.
I feel I have to play harder on the bar to turn the Vegas quick, but the bar on my Vegas is a bit shorter than the bar in the Dice, so that may have something to do with it.
The Vegas loops nicer. Wouldn't know how to describe it. I loop it and it feels good, the Dice not that much.
I can jump higher on the Dice. I ride in South Florida chop and small waves. I take off from a wave, sheet in, and the Dice takes me much higher and controlled than the Vegas. The Vegas has less bar throw, so I have to drift and gain some extra speed, then cross the board to get tension in the line and send the kite. I can do it, but I don't get the same height as with the Dice. The landings on the Vegas are a bit harder too.

The Vegas needs more wind, and has a narrower wind range, but used Vegas are cheap, so you can have two. I also have a 9m Vegas.

I keep both, I'd like to do some basic free style tricks, but I haven't succeeded much through the years. I guess the chop doesn't help, and I'm getting old too. LOL
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Mwaveman (Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”