Forum for kitesurfers
lizards
Medium Poster
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

13m Evo vs Juice

Postby lizards » Tue May 18, 2021 3:07 am

Hey I’m in the market for a 13m kite and am wondering what performance differences I might see between these kites?
I feel like I have a lot of days where I don’t feel like foiling but am underpowered on my 11m switchblade. Since I weigh 65 kilos I can stay upwind on my 11m in 12kts but the fun doesn’t start till more like 15kts.
I have an older 2013 15m contra but have never liked the kite, I have a hard time going upwind with it which is pretty frustrating. (Maybe the newer models are better?) I have heard that bigger kites naturally sit deeper in the window and are generally harder to go upwind with. There’s also generally quite a bit of hate on kites larger than 12m.
I did demo a 12m evo once and quite liked it and will probably switch to them from the switchblades eventually but can’t really justify swapping the whole quiver out because the switchblades definitely have a couple more years left in them. So thinking of just starting with a 13m evo.
Since my 5 strut switchblade flies fine in the 12- 15 kt range I’m interested in I would hope the 13m 3 strut evo would too. I just don’t want to end up with another “big kite” that I don’t like. So I’m interested in how the more light wind specific juice might compare.
Thanks!

brighamj
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone and Core Kites and Bars
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: 13m Evo vs Juice

Postby brighamj » Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

If you’ve got the money to spend, why not the Evo SLS? That seems like the best choice.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:51 pm

brighamj wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm
If you’ve got the money to spend, why not the Evo SLS? That seems like the best choice.
Not to be provocative but to understand, why are you saying the Evo SLS would be the better choice?

lizards
Medium Poster
Local Beach: EDGARTOWN
Gear: none

Postby lizards » Wed May 19, 2021 10:26 pm

brighamj wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm
No 13m size in sls. And if I bought a 12 I’d go with the regular fabric not sls.

Return to “Kitesurfing”