knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Torque 2 Control System

Postby knotwindy » Fri May 21, 2021 12:33 am

Or you could run the leash through it if long enough to not cause other problems. That’s how it used to be done.

X-Fly
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 65
Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m/10m/9m
North Orbit 9m/8m/7m
Core Choice 4 133

Postby X-Fly » Mon May 24, 2021 11:26 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:00 pm
Haven’t we had releases before where the chicken loop comes off completely? What’s to stop you losing it in a release situation?
I suppose it is the main problem if you practise unhook freestyle because the chicken dig is removed and in case of release situation it means you loose the chicken loop… It seems the same issue with the Cabrinha modular bar.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Used the bar (both sizes) now for 3 days in a row. I like it very much. I have put extra pigtails on the front lines for a more robust connection (the back lines come with pigtails) and adjusted the back line lengths accordingly. At my home spot I very often set up the kites on wet sand and that sand always sticks to the connecting points. Its cheaper to replace pigtails than complete lines.

Connection to the kite feels nice stiff and direct. Depower with the two PU lines runs very smooth without any stickiness. One could argue that the system would be cleaner with the safety line also running through one of the PU tubes but you do not notice it and it does not feel being in the way. There a quite a lot of comments here on the forum with worn safety lines inside PU tubes (because of sand) which you only realize in the moment you really need it.
The outside line is probably more subject to wear and tear, but you see it and it is cheap and easy to replace.

The swivel on top of the QR is rotating extremely smooth, so that the lines often untwist automatically after simple rotations, even that bar does not have those two eyelets for auto-untwist. If it stays like that after more use we will see.

I used the medium and small QR. With the medium QR the whole system has the same length as the previous model, with the small QR it is 3-4cm shorter.

The bar itself has not changed with its small diameter which I prefer and the slightly oval shape.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:30 am

Naish has reimagined how riders connect to their kite.

The all-new SnapLock quick-release puts safety and efficiency as the top priorities while adding click-in simplicity and modularity with different loop sizes. The Torque 2 bar takes the proven design of the original version and refines it with new grips and floaters, new PU-coated trim lines which feel smoother on your hands and reduce wear, a new slimmer one-piece trim cleat, and a new stopper ball to limit release throw.

The SnapLock safety system is a massive jump forward in quick-release technology. Starting with a shortened overall length, the release stroke has been increased and the release collar has a more ergonomic shape, making it virtually impossible to accidentally release. When you do decide to release, it’s easy to re-connect the loop — just click it together like a seat belt so you can quickly put your kite back together in the water instead of swimming home. Because the connection is so simple, it’s also easy to change loops. We’ve included 3 different loop styles in the box: a conventionally-sized standard loop, a new micro-sized loop, and a slider-loop for rope harnesses. A fourth large freestyle loop is available as an accessory.

Watch the edit to learn all about the Torque 2 Control System.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:57 am

Dirk wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:04 pm
One could argue that the system would be cleaner with the safety line also running through one of the PU tubes but you do not notice it and it does not feel being in the way. There a quite a lot of comments here on the forum with worn safety lines inside PU tubes (because of sand) which you only realize in the moment you really need it.
This is the deal breaker for me on this bar and any brand of bar that is now using a PU covered depower (and flagging) line. I've witnessed way too many fail or cause issues. Kudos to Duotone for keeping their Trust bar with exposed lines. My other favorite bar is Elev8's CS Vary 2.5 bar, but unfortunately the swivel sucks.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:57 am
Dirk wrote:
One could argue that the system would be cleaner with the safety line also running through one of the PU tubes but you do not notice it and it does not feel being in the way. There a quite a lot of comments here on the forum with worn safety lines inside PU tubes (because of sand) which you only realize in the moment you really need it.
This is the deal breaker for me on this bar and any brand of bar that is now using a PU covered depower (and flagging) line. I've witnessed way too many fail or cause issues. Kudos to Duotone for keeping their Trust bar with exposed lines. My other favorite bar is Elev8's CS Vary 2.5 bar, but unfortunately the swivel sucks.
Separately PU coated safetyline works great. I have an 8mm mainline and 4mm safetyline.

Saltyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,

Postby Saltyman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:37 am

You can buy a freestyle loop as a optional extra if you unhook most of the time it has a safety connect leash line running through it.
So if you're unhooked the kite won't fly away.
And will basically be the suicide connect point.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 am

Saltyman wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:37 am
You can buy a freestyle loop as a optional extra if you unhook most of the time it has a safety connect leash line running through it.
So if you're unhooked the kite won't fly away.
And will basically be the suicide connect point.
Was about to reply on this one...
Yes, correct. Riding unhooked mostly means suicide. Thus, no potential issues w/ that system. I clip my leash to the cl+safety line ring.
Same way, with the new system, in case of release the cl will just stay at the end of the leash...
L.

rugina
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rugina » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Dirk wrote:
Used the bar (both sizes) now for 3 days in a row. I like it very much. I have put extra pigtails on the front lines for a more robust connection (the back lines come with pigtails) and adjusted the back line lengths accordingly. At my home spot I very often set up the kites on wet sand and that sand always sticks to the connecting points. Its cheaper to replace pigtails than complete lines.
Hey Dirk, could you please tell me how long are the pigtails that come with the bar? Asking this because if I want to add pigtails for all the lines the front ones should be shorter than the back ones and I want to understand what should be the difference between them.

Thanks

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:33 pm

Hook- & loopless

Unless there is some patent on this, I wonder what stopped them from taking a step further and fix that click-in... thing directly to the spreader bar. With a flexible post like the HB Legacy 3D flexible hook.

Naish do have have harnesses and their spreader bar has 2x 25mm/1" webbings + a 40mm (1½) slit so it should work with most harnesses on the market.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
Screenshot_20210705_002847.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”