Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby downunder » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 am

No need to applogise.

You got it wrong, I never said helmets are dangerous in all situations. Quote me on that. But first define a helmet as well. Or is a rugby hat a helmet now?

And by the look Ive given more info than many.

What more can I do? Give away $100 is already on the table. Anyone? Someone?

Or maybe I should start the helmets production and compete with my buddy Ric Gath.

Absurd.

Remember, Im a hypocrite but always riding with my DIY helmet. U dont, as seen. Sorry, enough said.

I rest my case.
Last edited by downunder on Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:57 am

Does anyone here remember that awful incident about 15/16 years ago at a guess, they interviewed the guy in one of the popular kiteboarding mags (back page). He had broken both arms and remembers his broken limbs "flapping like a seal" while trying to unsuccessfully release his kite via the quick release?

What did he hit? Beach? Rocks?

Awful!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:20 pm

A row between bille and downunder. This should be good. Such a treat compared to the Matteo fest of the last year!

Helmets are a trade off not a cure all. Takes a motorcycle helmet to protect your head if you get kite looped at speed into a solid object and then you may well perish from other injuries, but a motorcycle helmet is absolutely susceptible to both bucketing and causing compression and whiplash injuries on lesser crashes in water.

Most of the water helmets commonly in use have adequate drainage and are low enough profile to be fit for use, but none will protect to much degree in the event of a real big impact with a solid object the way a motorcycle or even single impact bicycle helmet. This is not rocket science. Current water helmets are “some” protection. Like sunscreen is “some” protection.

If your tumbling around in surf or just crashing lots with a foil or have the type of rocket and tricky footing entry and exits we have, a helmet is a pretty logical choice. If your riding at a beach and mostly busting big air it doesn’t make that much sense.

Anyone insisting on absolutes or denying the incredible variation of this sport is just trying to win internet arguments.

Make your choice based on your situation and let it be. By all means, share your experiences so we can all see things from other perspectives but what is great in one spot might not even be appropriate for another.

The D30 products might hold some potential for our kind of activity. Certainly might be great for comfort and tik all the warmth and sun protection boxes while minimizing some of the draw backs to hard shells. Well see.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:11 pm) • bragnouff (Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 pm

Mr. River Van by the river
You definitely need to wear one !! Very happy for you. Have fun.
Mr. Ocean House by the ocean does not.
You got rocks and here soft sand.
Tight spots and here wide open.
Many noggin injury close calls in your kiting career ?
Nothing even close to touching my skull in 4000 days.

Location location location.

Relax and have a beer on me
Cheers

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:37 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 am
But I will happily take the hit by the board, because guess what? I did. Not once. This is all superficial compared to being dragged over the rocks. Imagine MattV surviving rocks with a helmet but being left paraplegic from the waist down! Now that would be interesting! That would be a death of kiteforum. Or Internet.
Wow! Never have I seen a better tell of a person's character than saying it would be "interesting" for another person to become paralyzed.

But I guess if you really want to examine the issue, I can try to do it in a bit more acceptable way.

So becoming paralyzed, while retaining full cognitive function would be terrible. But I would be grateful that I live in a time where I could still be independent. Also, since I protected my "thinky parts", I could continue to contribute to society in a meaningful way.

However, if I wasn't wearing a helmet, there is a good chance I would become mentally incapacitated from the head trauma in some way. Being paralyzed and mentally incapacitated would be hell. Even without the paralysis, mental incapacitation would still possibly worse than death if it was bad enough. I could possibly be angry, violent, unable to communicate, or not in control of my bodily functions.

Hence let me appeal to non helmet wearers emotion and self conciousness as I have been accused of in this thread already. 'Maybe you think it looks uncool to wear a helmet now, but it could save you from brain damage that would definetly make you look uncool in diapers at 30.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:39 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Yes i activate my QR several times before launching.

Im ready to QR in a split second always.

No lofting.
So do you think that you have zero chance of having an accident?

How about a sudden onset medical condition? Broken line on a kite loop? No gusts or sudden weather changes ever, at your location? Oooo, and is the hard packed sand at mid to low tide hard enough to ride a narrow tired bicycle on?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:13 pm

0 chance of accident requiring a helmet.
It would have happened by now believe me.
Are you done ?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm

We are a funny breed. We pick and continue to participate in a sport that is inherently dangerous and then go on and on about safety. Rather than stop doing what is dangerous we have all chosen to continue while trying to decrease the danger in somewhat ridiculous ways. As in ‘I know I could hit my head so I’ll wear a plastic bucket on it”.
It is all a matter of degree and personal risk assessment. So if you chose to continue doing dangerous things, don’t be surprised that while you are discussing safety you get hurt.
Enjoy it while you can.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:13 pm
0 chance of accident requiring a helmet.
It would have happened by now believe me.
Are you done ?
Nope. I don't "belive" you. But your response indicates the presence of the "it can't happen to me" attitude is part of what is getting kiters killed.

You also have a pretty big hole in your understanding of statistics. Roll the dice enough times, and eventually it will come up "snake eyes". But even if after many, many rolls you still haven't seen them, you are just that much closer to having them come up.

Be careful, and stay safe.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:42 pm
We are a funny breed. We pick and continue to participate in a sport that is inherently dangerous and then go on and on about safety. Rather than stop doing what is dangerous we have all chosen to continue while trying to decrease the danger in somewhat ridiculous ways. As in ‘I know I could hit my head so I’ll wear a plastic bucket on it”.
It is all a matter of degree and personal risk assessment. So if you chose to continue doing dangerous things, don’t be surprised that while you are discussing safety you get hurt.
Enjoy it while you can.
Look at as 'I know there is a risk for the reward, and I can reduce the risk without giving up any of the reward, why wouldn't I reduce that risk?

Return to “Kitesurfing”