Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 am

Sarda wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:56 pm

What does any of that which you have googled? made up? Overheard from an idiot etc remotely have to do with ISO related questions?
What ISO do those questions currently come from?
What new ISO will cover it?
When does it come into effect?

Are you a representative of the "ppe industry" to make the statement
"But nearly everyone in the PPE industry acknowledges that no single risk reduction method should be relied upon. Multiple methods always have a higher reduction of risk."

Where did you come up with that? Google, possibly in context to something very specific? A blog? a morally devoid ppe salesman?thin air? an idiot?

Is guessing or fabricating fictions a good substitute for acquired knowledge, understanding and experience (all documented)?
Why is that?
Until such a time as that "that" changes is there any point in further discussion?
First was made aware of that fact in PPE back at university more than 20 years ago. It was in a OSHA safety class taught by a guy with 30 years dealing with construction site safety. All other safety courses teach that multiple levels of hazard abatement are not only a good idea, but actually required.

But let me ask you a simplified version.

'When mitigating a potentially hazardous situation, and multiple levels/different forms of non-interfering protection are available, why would you not use some or all of them?'

We see this in every day life in the form of crumple zones/seatbelts/airbags, as well as hundreds of similar examples. And more importantly, it makes sense.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pemba » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:59 am

vannibombonato wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 pm
vannibombonato wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 pm
How do you guys think this topic will ever end?

I'm no administrator, but there's a reason a "lock" function exists for internet forums.

Just a suggestion.
Here's my suggestion. Use the "Friends and Foes" feature. I've added only two people to my "Foes" list in the past seven years. One is "Air Bunny" (remember??). Guess who the other one is. Makes reading the forum soooooo much more enjoyable. :thumb:
It's just that personally i don't see any value in anything that is being added on this topic anymore, as my opinion is that everybody has already said again and again whatever they had to say. Myself included.

I know i can simply "ignore" the thread, so it was just a suggestion. If there are people here who are seeing value being added in this thread, good for them.
No more value added, completely agree. It's about who is or can prove him/herself right and who is wrong now. Not to imply that I'm completely innocent of that myself.. But some of it is quite entertaining, well, I'm trying to look at it that way. Especially where people are actually arguing about the statistics of dice..

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sarda » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 am
Sarda wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:56 pm

What does any of that which you have googled? made up? Overheard from an idiot etc remotely have to do with ISO related questions?
What ISO do those questions currently come from?
What new ISO will cover it?
When does it come into effect?

Are you a representative of the "ppe industry" to make the statement
"But nearly everyone in the PPE industry acknowledges that no single risk reduction method should be relied upon. Multiple methods always have a higher reduction of risk."

Where did you come up with that? Google, possibly in context to something very specific? A blog? a morally devoid ppe salesman?thin air? an idiot?

Is guessing or fabricating fictions a good substitute for acquired knowledge, understanding and experience (all documented)?
Why is that?
Until such a time as that "that" changes is there any point in further discussion?
First was made aware of that fact in PPE back at university more than 20 years ago. It was in a OSHA safety class taught by a guy with 30 years dealing with construction site safety. All other safety courses teach that multiple levels of hazard abatement are not only a good idea, but actually required.

But let me ask you a simplified version.

'When mitigating a potentially hazardous situation, and multiple levels/different forms of non-interfering protection are available, why would you not use some or all of them?'

We see this in every day life in the form of crumple zones/seatbelts/airbags, as well as hundreds of similar examples. And more importantly, it makes sense.
Did you major in bullshit?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Sarda wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Did you major in bullshit?
I think workplace, and specifically construction safety are a well studied and understood field. From the government/bureaucratic end, entire agencies were created and have existed for many many years. Sure there are both successes and failures, but that is how data is collected and better policy put in place.

From the insurance and private sector, (actual construction/engineering companies) the financial incentive for getting safety right is inarguably the primary driver and essential for those entities very survival.

So I would shy away from calling it BS. What would be your argument for actually calling it BS?

None, eh?

Return to “Kitesurfing”