Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 am

Toby wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:30 pm
No one has 100% control.

I have a lot of control, didn't help me to get injured recently. Got lucky though. No obstacles close by....just my board which was suddenly in front of me waiting for my impact.

Gear failure? It all can happen. Had a lot happening to me, and read lot of stuff on this forum...and I am telling you, all those high jumping MEGALOOP kids so far are very lucky. Risk is very extreme. Hopefully luck stays with them.
The risk is also compounded by the fact that you intentionally attach yourself to a kite that is arguably way too big for the bulk of riders. You take some risks that are very specific to your practice and you mitigate them in your own way (for example by doing that in super steady Brazilian wind conditions, and not in a storm).

On the other hand, freeride foilers or waveriders who use the tiniest kites they can get away with have a very minimal risk of getting lofted and violently catapulted onto obstacles way beyond the traditional safety buffer zone.

Point is, each to their own, different spots, different riders, different ways of kitesurfing, there are many calculated ways of keeping it safe, everyone does their risk/benefit analysis. It's not uncommon, and usually not badly perceived to discuss with someone on your local spot about what you see as a blatant flaw in their risk/benefit analysis. On the other hand, it's a bit more annoying when, for example, someone in the USA tries to impose his obtuse views onto all riders in the world.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
PullStrings (Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:55 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 am
On the other hand, it's a bit more annoying when, for example, someone in the USA tries to impose his obtuse views onto all riders in the world.
I'd suggest you examine the reality of the situation more closely.

Me, being an 'evil human from the USA'??? You do realize that I have no other power over you beyond the power to convince you with logic and reasoning, right?

My "obtuse" views are there for you to accept on thier merit, or disreguard for how they make you "feel". Your choice.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:11 am

Watched the video 3 times Mr.Doom Gloom V

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 am

When I said obtuse views, it's in reference to your incapacity of accepting some of the facts presented herein so far. Like dismissing the sensory effects of head gear, or the specificities of water based activities vs hard surface activities, or insisting again and again that not wearing is only about fashion. Also showing some close-mindedness about how differently kitesurfing happens in other parts of the world. Because of that I very much questioned your own version of logic and reasoning, and they do not convince me, and I personally disregard them on the basis of unsound reasoning and twisted logic. Nothing about how your posts make me "feel".

As you say, my choice. And also my choice to try for the first time some of the fantastic software features of that forum, to hide your posts. To be perfectly honest, I also discovered some hidden features that automagically replace a.s.s.h.o.l.e by something more palatable.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
downunder (Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 am)

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:24 am

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:11 am
Watched the video 3 times Mr.Doom Gloom V
So what did you think? Did it serve to reinforce your views? Did it give you some things to think about in the first half? You posted the link, let us know what you think about it.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33 am

Liked it.
My view is the same.
First part already knew about.
I might be more safety conscious than you.
Surely more experienced with wind weather water than you Mr. V

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:58 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 am
When I said obtuse views, it's in reference to your incapacity of accepting some of the facts presented herein so far. Like dismissing the sensory effects of head gear, or the specificities of water based activities vs hard surface activities, or insisting again and again that not wearing is only about fashion. Also showing some close-mindedness about how differently kitesurfing happens in other parts of the world. Because of that I very much questioned your own version of logic and reasoning, and they do not convince me, and I personally disregard them on the basis of unsound reasoning and twisted logic. Nothing about how your posts make me "feel".

As you say, my choice. And also my choice to try for the first time some of the fantastic software features of that forum, to hide your posts. To be perfectly honest, I also discovered some hidden features that automagically replace a.s.s.h.o.l.e by something more palatable.
Bit worked up, are we? That's ok.

bragnouff wrote:
When I said obtuse views, it's in reference to your incapacity of accepting some of the facts presented herein so far. Like dismissing the sensory effects of head gear,
No evidence exists that helmet use leads to any reduction of performance due to some sensory deprivation. If you could show some shred of evidence that it did, I can absolutely guarantee that any effect would be minimized to insignificance by always wearing a helmet - e.g., getting used to it.

bragnouff wrote:
or the specificities of water based activities vs hard surface activities,
Funny, I thought that these deaths were the result of hitting something other than water? Wait.... I think kiters typically launch and land on land near "non water based objects". So it seems that it is perfectly reasonable to assume that the most danger, as in launching and landing a kite, do occur on land. Hmmmmm..... interesting.

bragnouff wrote:
or insisting again and again that not wearing is only about fashion.
I cannot find any other reason to not wear a helmet. All of the other arguments make no logical sense. And the fact that me calling it out as such only results in "feelings" being shot back at me, just confirms it.

bragnouff wrote:
Also showing some close-mindedness about how differently kitesurfing happens in other parts of the world.
Phisics works the same everywhere on this planet, for our purposes. Hitting a rock with your head at 25kph is going to have the same result everywhere. The only variable is whether or not the kiter was wearing a helmet.

bragnouff wrote:
Because of that I very much questioned your own version of logic and reasoning, and they do not convince me, and I personally disregard them on the basis of unsound reasoning and twisted logic. Nothing about how your posts make me "feel".
How is my logic "twisted"? How is my reasoning "unsound"? Please explain, as that is the only way to convince others. If you cant explain your determination here, than it is demonstrably JUST FEELINGS.

bragnouff wrote:
Hiding from logic, reasoning, and physics, wont make them go away. Confront your feelings issues head on (pun intended), and work through your anger with an open mind. That's much more healthy, from a mental stand point, than ignoring reality.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:02 am

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Yes i activate my QR several times before launching.

Im ready to QR in a split second always.

No lofting.
So do you think that you have zero chance of having an accident?

How about a sudden onset medical condition? Broken line on a kite loop? No gusts or sudden weather changes ever, at your location?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby downunder » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 am

Than have an open mind and accept the reality that electrical lightning can also happen.

So I would suggest to "earth" your lid as well. U never know.

I would also suggest to stop scaring people. Logic, right? If something is said over and over it becomes truth. So it is only logical that ppl reading your doom and gloom can discard it or accept it as a fact. Your fact. Sounds preety much like a Scientology or doom and gloom churches from, guess where.

There is a fine line separating intelligence and insanity.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
PullStrings (Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:10 pm)

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:38 am

downunder wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 am
Than have an open mind and accept the reality that electrical lightning can also happen.

So I would suggest to "earth" your lid as well. U never know.

I would also suggest to stop scaring people. Logic, right? If something is said over and over it becomes truth. So it is only logical that ppl reading your doom and gloom can discard it or accept it as a fact. Your fact. Sounds preety much like a Scientology or doom and gloom churches from, guess where.

There is a fine line separating intelligence and insanity.
What part is gloom and doom? That's not what I said.

It's simply that helmets can provide a secondary safety role so long as you can overcome your own self conciousness and actually use them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”