How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Beaches or kitespots staying open has nothing to do with helmet wearing or not.

And if you get pulled head first in the rocks it is because you stayed attached to the kite.

Simple.

99% get that
1% don't....and of that ....one that lives in a van.

Will i be quoted or thanked ?
That is the question...ha ha.
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
jumptheshark (Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm

And if you get pulled head first in the rocks it is because you stayed attached to the kite.

Simple.

99% get that

You will.

Maintaining conciousness is essential to keeping control of the kite. Lose conciousness, and you lose control of the kite. A kite not under your control, but with an 80kg weight at the end of it IS AN EXTREME HAZARD TO BYSTANDERS - along with being a hazard to you.

No beach authority will differentiate from your actions concious or unconcious. Thus if losing conciousness causes harm to innocent bystanders:

1. Park/city employees who don't like kiteboarding will see it as a reasonable excuse to ban kiteboarding
2. Wildlife officials who can't prove birds are being harmed by kites, will see it as a good reason to get kiting banned, just in case kites might be harming birds in a tiny way
3. Fishermen who think kites scare fish will happily be on board with a kiteboarding ban, regardless of reason, also.
4. As well as a host of other groups seeing increasing use/pressure/crowding, who would be happy to alleviate some portion of that.

Pulley, you seem to be in the 1% incapable of understanding basic human behavior. Even when that behavior - self serving/self interests prioritized over others, is exemplified in this very thread. Try to think about the bigger picture, instead of being witty.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 pm

I seem capable of understanding your behavior 99% of the time.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:48 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm
PullStrings wrote:

Simple.

99% get that

You will.

Maintaining conciousness is essential to keeping control of the kite.
No Shit, Sherlock. :lol:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Looking at the riding style of the people mostly wearing helmets, I'm not under the impression that there are a lot of concious thoughtprocesses in those heads. Maybe they need a helmet that's a bit less tight.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:48 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:51 pm
PullStrings wrote:

Simple.

99% get that

You will.

Maintaining conciousness is essential to keeping control of the kite.
No Shit, Sherlock. :lol:
Keep digging, Watson! You may eventually figure out that I'm trying to convince these guys of the obvious, which they are denying.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:47 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:31 pm
Looking at the riding style of the people mostly wearing helmets, I'm not under the impression that there are a lot of concious thoughtprocesses in those heads. Maybe they need a helmet that's a bit less tight.
Most of the people that wear helmets are actually beginners, so i guess it's pretty normal to witness stupid behaviour. It's just inexperience actually.
When they are past the beginner stage many of them don't wear an helmet anymore as there are idiots on the beaches thinking that people that wear helmets must be beginners, as once you are a megaloop ninja like they obviously are (while on the beach) you know better than wearing those stupid things on your head.

Thus you won't see helmets, but you'll see a lot of those cool handlepass leashes on harnesses, except almost nobody ever unhooks at your average kitebeach.

But hey, it looks cool.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Keep digging, Watson! You may eventually figure out that I'm trying to convince these guys of the obvious, which they are denying.
Doesn't take a detective to understand the biggest impediment to your argument is your manner.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
PullStrings (Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:21 pm) • iriejohn (Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:13 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:37 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Doesn't take a detective to understand the biggest impediment to your argument is your manner.
Thanks! The goal is to discuss a topic, bring to light other points of view, sift through the evidence (or just plain phisics in this case), and come to an understanding of the observable reality - if that is possible.

Not on my list, is anything to do with making you, in particular, "happy" with me. And honestly, you seem to be incapable, along with a select few others here, being happy with anyone who defends the observable reality as a point of view. However, I do find value in disagreement with anything close to the observable reality, as it strengthens the case for that observable reality.

In this discussion, no one, not even I, has done as much to prove my point that helmet usage increases chances of surviving an accident in kiteboarding - better than those opposed to that idea. By extension, it has also been proven that safer kiting leads to less beach bans of kiteboarding. As to the fashion aspect of why certain kiteboarders choose to never use helmets or stop using them at some point - there have been actuall admissions to that, as well as outbursts pointing to it definetly being a self conciousness issue.

Again, like me or not, no argument I could possibly present alone, could have provided the evidence to come to those rational conclusions without you and others that oppose the observable reality. So again, thanks!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:19 am

You seem to be stuck on the idea that fashion is the reason people don't wear helmets. And a few of us pointed at discomfort and impacted perception as being our main reason not to. (while still maintaining a proactive safety conscious attitude to prevent accidents to happen in the first place).

Safer kiting to me doesn't exactly rhyme with helmet use. Helmet use might, to a point, reduce severity of unsafe kiting.

Beach bans are also not directly related to accidents, or at least not to personal accidents where a helmet could make a difference. What pisses people off is a too big number of people crowding the carparks of their residential area, sketchy behaviour and close calls during launch, bad attitude on/off water... Being polite and civilized goes a long way.
A non-helmeted kiter who dies on a spot won't lead to a beach ban, but a few helmeted-muppets who send their kite onto bystanders will very likely achieve that. Riders who jump in the shallows among swimmers will also be super bad in that regard. Sometimes taking on some beach marshall duties on crowded spots will make a real positive difference to the long term viability of a spot. Or signage laying out a few rules that all users ought to agree on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”