Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:10 pm

Anyone tried helmets in 35c temps, with full humidity outside and water is at 28c? I did once, start seing stars and mini black hole all over after 30 minutes. So the <safe> helmet season is from November to March in the Asian tropics :)

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:22 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 pm
FYI There are many helmet "deniers":

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... -freestyle

Some of the best riders in AU commented there.

I guess u are not interested so do not bother reading it. Other ppl might. Draw your own conclusions.

And no, its not about me or you at all. Its about readers and spreading fear amongst them...
Did you read through the page your link brings up???

By my count, 16 of the 19 posts are either for helmets or somewhat for helmets. 3 posts questioning helmets.

Thanks for the link and the "self own".

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:29 pm

mr_daruman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:10 pm
Anyone tried helmets in 35c temps, with full humidity outside and water is at 28c? I did once, start seing stars and mini black hole all over after 30 minutes. So the <safe> helmet season is from November to March in the Asian tropics :)
40⁰C today here, and bit later in the month we will see 32⁰C water temp. Just my feeling, maybe a little conjecture of the physics involved, but I feel like a helmet keeps you cooler. If you get it wet every 10 min or so, that water evaporating cools, as well as keeping the sun from beating directly down on your head.

But that's with a vented hard shelled helmet. I'm sure the softies could hold heat like a wetsuit.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Mr. Ouch V

Can only ride fat tire bicycle at mid or low tide.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 pm
Mr. Ouch V

Can only ride fat tire bicycle at mid or low tide.
Jeez! Cant contribute, or wont?

Look, if you are walking across hard packed mid to low tide, you may as well be on concrete. Even without your board, flotsam/drifting logs, or logs washed up on the beach, you still have that hard pack to hit.

Please be safe out there.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Mr. Concrete V

Read about your injuries

Yawn.

Where is the one about you being dragged head first in rocks unable to QR and helmet saving your life ?

You talk the walk but did not walk the walk !?

You appear experienced enough.

I am sure that by now you have learned your lessons on how not to bang your head.

I am convinced that you can retire your helmet completely for good.

Cheers

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:09 pm
Mr. Concrete V

Read about your injuries

Yawn.

Where is the one about you being dragged head first in rocks unable to QR and helmet saving your life ?

You talk the walk but did not walk the walk !?
The idea is to do your best to avoid that, but be prepared for the possible/unavoidable - especially when the cost of that preparedness is almost nothing.

Ya doin ok, buddy? You are coming across as a bit frustrated with your last few dodgy posts. Maybe take a chill pill, maybe go shopping for helmets, and take the wife.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Bah, you should all spend one full day assisting someone in a hospital where they keep the human vegetables with brain damages.

You should smell the shit that lasts for eight hours until they change them, moving them with pulleys like you’d do with dead animals.

You should see them almost dying because they vomit on themselves.

You should see see them desperately trying to move one finger.

You should see and smell their skin rotten from pressure wounds.

Then maybe, just maybe, you’d understand that wearing that freaking helmet is worth the 1% or whatever reduced risk of not ending up there.

And I’m over with this.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:30 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:08 pm
Mr. Absurd V

Have zero chance to have an accident being dragged head first into hard object on land.
Learned long ago to do controlled heel drags on land so that the QR can be reached fast and easily.
Accidents have been a sprained knee twice and bruised ribs twice.
No surfboard hit on head.
0 need of helmet in 4000 seshs

In tip top shape ...6pk has own 6pk... strong heart no drugs no smoking ....you can rule that health thing out.

Kite line break during kite loop you can rule that one out also.
Each of my 7 kites sizes from 5 to 17 have their own bar/lines attached....tuned individually and virtually brand new.
Each lines are inspected during unwinding and winding.

Always rigging the kite size for gusts possible....knowledge of the forecast and what causes the wind...planning with radar forecast...always prepared.
No surprises.

Our narrow hard packed sand is never a problem and won't be....my head will not touch it.

I've answered your 5 questions.

But since you are you... it will be quoted and scrutinized.
Well, a virtually « as new » bar for each of the kite you owns..that is way much paying attention to inherent risks of kitesurfing than most people do.
Rigging always the right kite size, thanks to your mastering of the local weather conditions forecasting. But apart from this, nothing can go wrong, because you control everything

Makes sense

Oh, and for the 4000 sessions not being hurt: do you think your personal record does apply to everybody, in term of statistics ?
Personally, riding in all kind of conditions, since 20 years, I’ve been hurt on my head 2 times, seriously enough to get a big bruise, even though I was wearing a helmet.
Fact is, I’ve never been injured to my ribs, always wearing a impact vest, although have once in while some good wipeouts.
What can we conclude form this, in a statistical point of view?

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 pm

In fact, people arguing so much in not needing to wear a helmet, are just proving my point: they are basically saying: « then if you still feel the need to do so, that is because you’re nut » « good riders don’t wear one »

Frankly, I had been expecting from the beginning that somebody could agree to admit « I don’t wear a helmet because I don’t like it, but if somebody else does, it probably makes him a bit safer »

Instead, we’ve got these messages: « I never ever needed to wear one » « people shouldn’t wear one, as it doesn’t make them any safer” “those wearing helmet are the one to avoid at the beach, because they don’t know what they are doing”

Great

Return to “Kitesurfing”