Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to turn a topic about a fatality into an absurd helmet discussion

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:31 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 pm
Well I'd explain that I love the comfort and fit, and really only rely on it for incidental contact and would not count on it for massive catastrophic impacts. But then again, were all working to avoid those aren't we? I definitely appreciate the warmth and sun protection depending on the season. But it is what it is. It is certainly some protection in the event of a bad accident.
This ^^^

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Oops, I also don't have the ear protection on. Hate those.

Personal preference.

Beanie008
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby Beanie008 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am

Have been following this thread with interest, there are some great discussions had for and against...far as safety gear is concerned.

It certainly boils down to the individual...

Personally I don't like helmets, they change my perception. The reason why I kite is all about feeling...Am I reckless? Perhaps. But I will still wear safety equipment when the situation calls for it.

Anything to kite as often and for as long as possible. Right? :thumb:

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325

Postby thekitemonster » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 am

Helmets don't fit me. It was a real problem back in the day, surfing shallow heavy reef waves that ground us into the coral, leaving chunks of scalp and other bits of hide. (Now, I don't expect any corn-fed chunky Midwestern Farm Boys to comprehend any of this, Matteo.)

Anyway the Gath hats squeezed my temples and I got headaches. But when it got gnarly I wore it. Or sometimes I wore it, when I didn't I wore the coral chunks in my scalp. I've been Cat Scanned at the E.R. due to skatepark blunders, I've come to consciousness strapped onto gurneys. I've had a fractured neck and not sought any medical attention numerous times. Bucketing is real. Whiplashed neck really hurts, for weeks and months and years on end. It's a part of what I spent my life doing.

I actually need a carbon/kevlar custom formed helmet and would happily wear it every time I kite. I even tried to make one a few times. Older guys may remember the French Castle Gaurde in Monty python and the Holy Grail: "I told him we already 'ave one" yeah it looked like his helmet.
'
But kiteboarding, in clean ocean breeze: I won't ever actually need it. I'd just wear it to keep it habitual.
These users thanked the author thekitemonster for the post (total 2):
Beanie008 (Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:40 am) • downunder (Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:30 pm
Sarda wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I wear a Gath Surf Convertible helmet which has ear pads which I have removed.

https://gathsports.com/product/gath-sfc/

Is this helmet rated for kiteboarding?
Is the impact test that this helmet passed set at 2.5m/s (approx 9kph)?
Do you regularly kite at 9 kph or less?
Does the manufacturer disclaim all liability?

Is this the best choice for kiteboarding or are ballistic helmets just too heavy?
Is +-18 litres buoyancy unfashionable?
Are the rocks/obstacles still there?

Is "panacea" a good brand name for a kite helmet?

Do you feel "safer" with that helmet?
What are the implications or recommending that helmet to someone for use outside of its design capabilities?

Is improper use of PPE one of the largest contributing factors resulting in death or injury to the user?
Perhaps you would be kind enough to provide answers to the above questions.

Thanks.
EN 1385 Approved
Rated for an impact of 2.5m/s
Is it my responsibility?

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:28 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 pm
Sarda wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:15 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I wear a Gath Surf Convertible helmet which has ear pads which I have removed.

https://gathsports.com/product/gath-sfc/

Is this helmet rated for kiteboarding?
Is the impact test that this helmet passed set at 2.5m/s (approx 9kph)?
Do you regularly kite at 9 kph or less?
Does the manufacturer disclaim all liability?

Is this the best choice for kiteboarding or are ballistic helmets just too heavy?
Is +-18 litres buoyancy unfashionable?
Are the rocks/obstacles still there?

Is "panacea" a good brand name for a kite helmet?

Do you feel "safer" with that helmet?
What are the implications or recommending that helmet to someone for use outside of its design capabilities?

Is improper use of PPE one of the largest contributing factors resulting in death or injury to the user?

Aight, I can lower the level of conversation to your format if you can't actually communicate any less obtusely!

I wear that very helmet but in this config:

Gedi_colors.jpg

Let see here,

No
Don't think so
No
Yes

I've tried many and this is hands down my fave and yes weight is a factor
Depends, fashion is subjective
Usually

Don't really care, but there is a helmet named the "Super Scrappy" that sounds pretty cool. I kinda like that helmet but prefer the peak on the Gath that can move easily on certain crashes.

Yes, yes I do
Well I'd explain that I love the comfort and fit, and really only rely on it for incidental contact and would not count on it for massive catastrophic impacts. But then again, were all working to avoid those aren't we? I definitely appreciate the warmth and sun protection depending on the season. But it is what it is. It is certainly some protection in the event of a bad accident.

Maybe in indursty, but I feel pretty confident in saying that with respect to kiteboarding.... no

Now, how about you form a proper paragraph if you wanna engage in adult conversation?
Are your opinions valid?
Do you feel out of control?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:53 am

Are you a child?

Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum

Postby Raynski » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Lmao, those helmets look absolutely ridiculous, around here they are mostly worn by stereotypical older guys who also wear a board short and a fluorescent shirts with a seat harness. Not going to wear a helmet on the water, have my head banging around, yes on solid surfaces I can deff understand, or if you kite somewhere with allot of rocks. But with kiteboarding im already wearing a shitton of gear , harness, wetsuit, impact vest, booties, add a helmet and i start to feel suffocated. No thnx

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:18 pm

thekitemonster wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 am
Helmets don't fit me. It was a real problem back in the day, surfing shallow heavy reef waves that ground us into the coral, leaving chunks of scalp and other bits of hide. (Now, I don't expect any corn-fed chunky Midwestern Farm Boys to comprehend any of this, Matteo.)

Anyway the Gath hats squeezed my temples and I got headaches. But when it got gnarly I wore it. Or sometimes I wore it, when I didn't I wore the coral chunks in my scalp. I've been Cat Scanned at the E.R. due to skatepark blunders, I've come to consciousness strapped onto gurneys. I've had a fractured neck and not sought any medical attention numerous times. Bucketing is real. Whiplashed neck really hurts, for weeks and months and years on end. It's a part of what I spent my life doing.

I actually need a carbon/kevlar custom formed helmet and would happily wear it every time I kite. I even tried to make one a few times. Older guys may remember the French Castle Gaurde in Monty python and the Holy Grail: "I told him we already 'ave one" yeah it looked like his helmet.
'
But kiteboarding, in clean ocean breeze: I won't ever actually need it. I'd just wear it to keep it habitual.
That is my opinion the biggest problem: the perfect kite helmet doesn’t exist yet.
As soon a comfy, lightweight, nice looking kite helmet will be on sale, there will be a big market opening opportunity.
My Gath doesn’t tick all the boxes, for sure

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:29 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:18 pm
thekitemonster wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 am

'
That is my opinion the biggest problem: the perfect kite helmet doesn’t exist yet.
As soon a comfy, lightweight, nice looking kite helmet will be on sale, there will be a big market opening opportunity.
My Gath doesn’t tick all the boxes, for sure
My Gath Surf Convertible helmet is lightweight, fits perfectly and is comfortable with the correct Gath Comfort strip fitted.

First and foremost it is a functional piece of equipment.

I don't really give a flying f*** what it looks like.
Last edited by iriejohn on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”