Gear: 2020 Switchblade 12m
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

New to Kiteboarding, where to learn?

Postby RaviTheJedi » Mon May 24, 2021 8:42 pm

I first saw Kiteboarding in San Francisco in 2007. 14 year later, now I am ready to take the leap.

Where should I take Kiteboarding lessons: OBX OR Dewey Beach, DE? I live in Baltimore, Maryland: 6.5 hours from Outer Banks, NC and 2.5 hours from Dewey Beach, DE.

OBX has Kitty Hawk Kites and Real Watersports. Both seem to have reputable instructors to teach and good gear selection.

Dewey Beach has East of Maui. I've near heard of them and they don't have any online presence. Has anyone taken lessons from them?

Dewey beach can be a day trip, but OBX has to be a multi-day trip.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Re: New to Kiteboarding, where to learn?

Postby appelton » Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 am

I would say go somewhere with shallow waters. Somewhere where you can stand after you drop your kite. It's so much easier to do water starts when you can comfortably stand. Learning from scratch in a deep ocean is way more difficult. Also ...if you can take a couple of wakeboarding lessons in a cable park. Once you start riding and get a feel for it, start playing with kites.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue May 25, 2021 8:05 am

I don't know any of the places so I can't help you specifically, but on a general basis very difficult to say which schools are better than others. Back in the day when I learned I had several different instructors and they varied quite a lot in "quality" I would argue - even working for the same school. It will come down to personal preference etc as well of course.

I don't think it is strictly speaking necessary, but taking lessons I would recommend condensing the time you take lessons. Doesn't have to be 5 days in a row, but better to try to at least do 2-3 days in a row rather than one day for then to wait a week or whatever for the next.

OBX looks like a cool place. Would like to visit some day. The upside guess with going to Dewey would be to get comfortable at what might be your local spot when you get to riding independently? Strange how that is in the beginning (lasts for quite some time actually) - having more confidence riding at a spot which you know. One of my friends is still like this - even if he is a far better rider than me - he still feels a bit uneasy for 3 mins whenever he goes to a new spot.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am

OBX is one of the best places to learn to kiteboard. Flatwater and waist-deep for miles. Both Real and Kitty Hawk have great instructions and teach off jetskis. I have friends who have struggled to learn elsewhere (more due to conditions that instructors) but have cracked it on the Sound in OBX cos the conditions and ability to teach off the jetski's is just amazing. It can be a little more expensive but worth it as it should speed up your progression.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue May 25, 2021 12:47 pm

You can't beat OBX for learning...good wind and endless waist-deep water. Real has a great setup and lots of options to get you to where the wind is. I would also highly recommend Ty Luckett at Kitehatteras.com, he had my friend up and riding after a few lessons...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue May 25, 2021 12:48 pm

robclaisse wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am
OBX is one of the best places to learn to kiteboard. Flatwater and waist-deep for miles. Both Real and Kitty Hawk have great instructions and teach off jetskis. I have friends who have struggled to learn elsewhere (more due to conditions that instructors) but have cracked it on the Sound in OBX cos the conditions and ability to teach off the jetski's is just amazing. It can be a little more expensive but worth it as it should speed up your progression.
100%....Jet ski and boats make a huge difference. Otherwise, you are doing a lot of walking in the water or watching your instructor kite back up wind...

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Hands down, the OBX is the better choice. Both KHK and Real are good, as is Ty Luckett. The conditions at OBX make it ideal (i.e., consistent wind, shallow water on soundside, lots of access points accommodating any wind direction).

One advantage of KHK is that, once you take your lessons, you can continue to use their launch site as you progress. You'll have continuing (informal) support from the KHK instructors and regulars. You can't do that at Real (restricted launch site) or Kitehatteras (Ty teaches from a boat). Just another consideration.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Tue May 25, 2021 1:33 pm

As a first time rider, go to the spot closest to you. Head over to this forum for the best local advice:
http://eastkb.com/

Look up Sean Colgan from Got Wind Kiteboarding. He goes by the handle "coog" on eastkb.com.

Here's his website:
https://gotwindkiteboarding.wordpress.com/

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kited at: Peru (Paracas, Mancora), Bresil (Cumbuco), Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Las Terrenas), Grenadines (Union Island), USA (Hatteras, Tarpon Springs), Bahamas (Exuma), Greece (Paros, Lefkada),Turks & Caicos (Long Bay)
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Evo SLS 8m 2022, Rebel 9m 2020, Dice SLS 11m 2022, Neo SLS 12m 2022, Juice 15m 2020, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43, Cabrinha surfboard Secret Weapon

Postby danlar » Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi there, just did my instructor course in march and I am getting experience teaching at Long Bay beach at Turks & Caicos.

I have been to many place to kite, including OBX, and I will say that I never seen a better place to learn then here. Huge shallow water and warm, jetski to help, etc. If you don’t mind travelling, that’s the place.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue May 25, 2021 1:45 pm

if you have options..

i'd go to corpus cristi or texas city...in that order for america

Return to “Kitesurfing”