Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New to Kiteboarding, where to learn?

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 25, 2021 1:52 pm

danlar wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:35 pm
Hi there, just did my instructor course in march and I am getting experience teaching at Long Bay beach at Turks & Caicos.

I have been to many place to kite, including OBX, and I will say that I never seen a better place to learn then here. Huge shallow water and warm, jetski to help, etc. If you don’t mind travelling, that’s the place.
Long Bay is great, but not responsive to the OP's question. I've worked as an instructor at both OBX and Providenciales (Long Bay), and I can't disagree about Long Bay's appeal. However, winds are generally onshore at Long Bay, so jet ski support there usually amounts to simply running the student back offshore once he/she gets too close to land. Jet ski support at the OBX is more akin to a supported downwinder, where the student and instructor can go for miles downwind along the shoreline. Both are great spots.

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Sandy Point State Park, Maryland, USA
Fort Smallwood Park, Maryland, USA
Dewey Beach, Delaware, USA
Assateague State Park, Maryland, USA
Gear: 2020 Switchblade 12m
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Tue May 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Thank you everyone for the input and great advice. I will look up Ty. Kitty Hawk Kites (KHK) sounds like a better deal.

Do instructors at KHK use jetskis to teach as well?

I can totally see the benefits of having jet ski support. Never really thought about it until now. I might have to buy a jet ski if I really get into kiteboarding. My brother and I are learning at the same time. So one person on a jetski and one kiteboarding sound like a great option.

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:08 pm

+1 to everything above.
I did zero to hero at Real. Was riding upwind on day 2 and (accidental) baby jumps day 3. Jetski, great instructor and quality gear plus reliable riding conditions made all the difference after struggling to do that at home in variable conditions in Wisconsin.
I feel that South Padre is even better for improving due to the consistent conditions of steady warm wind & water from same direction, with shallow water for as far as you can ride.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Do a long weekend(s) or whatever you can manage with a good outfit in OBX to get the basics down. Talk to East of Maui about coaching after that point and closer to home to fine tune your technique.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:13 pm

Ricki has the best plan for you. Do lessons with your brother. My friends and I all learned at OBX because it is just too hard to learn in our local midwestern lakes. About 20 people over the past 15 years. A few took lessons, but mostly we taught each other and watched videos, etc. We rent several houses for a week each spring and fall from Hatteras Realty at Island Creek on the North edge of Avon (Ty launches his boat there), and did downwinders from there to "second turnout" or milemarker 52? on SW winds, and one of the crew or a non-kiter would pick us up, repeat and rinse till we could stay upwind. On North winds someone drops everyone off at the turnout and they kite back to the houses, very simple. Only wind direction that does not work there is anything east, in which case we go down to Sandy Bay, aka Izabel's, but downwinders are hard to organize there unless you are willing to go a long way. Another possibility if you want to go it alone is to stay at Frisco Woods campground, in which case you have good access for SW and north winds, but have to walk back from downwinders unless you are willing to go a long way northeast to Kite Point, or southwest to Sandy Bay. Go for a week, rent SUPs or surfboards for non-windy days, or go fishing.

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 am

Steve271 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:08 pm
+1 to everything above.
I did zero to hero at Real. Was riding upwind on day 2 and (accidental) baby jumps day 3. Jetski, great instructor and quality gear plus reliable riding conditions made all the difference after struggling to do that at home in variable conditions in Wisconsin.
I feel that South Padre is even better for improving due to the consistent conditions of steady warm wind & water from same direction, with shallow water for as far as you can ride.
I didn't realize TX has any kiteboarding places. Will keep in mind South Padre next time I am in TX.

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm

matth wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 12:47 pm
You can't beat OBX for learning...good wind and endless waist-deep water. Real has a great setup and lots of options to get you to where the wind is. I would also highly recommend Ty Luckett at Kitehatteras.com, he had my friend up and riding after a few lessons...
Funny, just realized Kitehatteras.com was purchased by Real and redirects you to Realwatersports. Correct website is kitehatteras.net.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm

RaviTheJedi wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 am
Steve271 wrote:
+1 to everything above.
I didn't realize TX has any kiteboarding places. Will keep in mind South Padre next time I am in TX.
Highly recommended!
Warm water and air, flat, wind. Never went to SPI myself (only Corpus Cristi), but saw lots of videos and pictures...you will have a blast!

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:45 am

Great summary here:

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm
RaviTheJedi wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:22 am
Steve271 wrote:
+1 to everything above.
Highly recommended!
Warm water and air, flat, wind. Never went to SPI myself (only Corpus Cristi), but saw lots of videos and pictures...you will have a blast!
I'm gonna have to find some work in TX now just so I can visit South Padre?

How are the conditions during September in South Padre?

Return to “Kitesurfing”