Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

15m light wind kites Juice/Turbine/Zypher

Postby Xtream » Wed May 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Any current users of these kites can comment on their performance in light wind 12-15 Mph on TT
Looking at 2018 to 2020 kites.
Whats the minimum wind need to stay in the air.
Minimum wind to ride upwind on TT @ 175lbs
How does it jump in 12-15mph winds
What the top end.
Upwind ability.

Thanks

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 15m light wind kites Juice/Turbine/Zypher

Postby Iridian » Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Really gotta recommend against getting a kite like this.

appelton
Medium Poster
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Belmont Shore / CA
Gear: Still looking for gear.
Has thanked: 0

Postby appelton » Wed May 26, 2021 9:29 pm

Iridian wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm
Why ? I have Cabrinha Contra 15m + Flydoor6 + line extensions..I can go out in no wind. Nice lightwind summer sessions during sunset ...priceless :)

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed May 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Iridian wrote:
Sage advice! :clap:

I used to have a Turbine 15 and sold it. The kite "works" at ~13 kts, but it is overpowered at ~17kts, so the wind range is very narrow. And while it works, I didn't find it to be particularly fun within that window. Yes it can jump, but the size makes it fly so slowly that the jumps are not very exciting. It saved a few sessions where I would have gotten skunked on the TT otherwise, so there's that... but I wouldn't say they were particularly memorable sessions.

I demo'ed a Juice 15 a couple of times and liked that kite a little more. The wind range was probably a little bit wider (handled power a little better).

I just find foiling more fun below 16kts, so my largest kite is 12m these days.
These users thanked the author StellaBlu for the post:
andrzej351 (Thu May 27, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Wed May 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Iridian wrote:
Kitesurfing has got a really different meaning for some :D

To the OP: I would think the Juice is a good light wind kite, having kitesurfed side by side with one in marginal conditions. But make sure that your TT is also a light wind board to match it, because it is at least a 2 factors equation.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed May 26, 2021 9:56 pm

I don't know if the Zephyr has gotten lighter in the later generations? I think it is a brilliant kite for its uses, but I wouldn't be able to fly mine much in 15mph. It will stay in the air, but at 100kg I would more or less just stay afloat in flat water in those winds. Should be said I haven't got light wind board.

For me the Zephyr is more for 15mph+ not below. You are lighter so I guess you can move it down a bit. Not sure if any other kite not being Aluula have got "better" low end?

As for the "narrow" wind range on big kites. I can go above 20 knots with the Zephyr so I'm not sure it is that narrow. And almost every place I have been to kiting, it being Zanzibar, Langebaan, several places in the Caribbean etc. the wind will often be somewhere around 15 knots. At those places it rarely varies a lot on any given day so when it is 16-18 knots it stays that way. Quite different when you go out in 30 knots and the wind can vary 5 knots up and down in a completely different way.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Wed May 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Xtream wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:53 pm
Any current users of these kites can comment on their performance in light wind 12-15 Mph on TT
Looking at 2018 to 2020 kites.
Whats the minimum wind need to stay in the air.
Minimum wind to ride upwind on TT @ 175lbs
How does it jump in 12-15mph winds
What the top end.
Upwind ability.

Thanks
Hi there, I have a 2020 zephyr and at 220lb I can get out and ride upwind using a door style board at about 11/12 knots - The best thing about this kite is the wind range really! I can hold this kite up to 20 knots and, at that wind strength get, some pretty high jumps. I can start jumping in 12 knots about 3 meters or so, and if the wind increases the jumps height also increases. It is a pretty lofty kite, so keeps you in the air for a long time and it can fly with very little wind. It is a 5 strut kite and I'm always amazed and how this kite stays in the air! Without knowing the size of your board it is hard to say the minimum range, but I can guess that you should be able to ride upwind with 10knots on a TT that is not super small. I think the depower on this kite is amazing! I know that many times I should use my 14m but I stay with the Zephyr as it can handle the wind so well!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu May 27, 2021 12:24 am

I'm 80kg and had a Zephyr V5 which I could ride from about 12 to 20 knots on a 138x42 twintip. By choice I wouldn't be on it in 20 knots but rather than changing down I could stay with it. Huge wind range for sure.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 am

I have a 18m2 Juice 2016, so I can only assume new ones got better. I don't really get comments discouraging from a big kite (whether to get a 15 or 17 will depend on your weight). If people are into foiling and find that fun in marginal winds, go for it. Not everybody wants that though and that's why we have big kites.

Regarding questions about how much wind it needs to stay up in the air. That is a tricky question, because a wise answer is always it depends. In stable conditions I would assume around 8 knots is fine. Riding will largely depend on your board. I don't have a light wind twin tip board, so in marginal conditions I use a directional. In this setup at 95-100 kg weight, I can kite in around 10 knots. I can't say definitely, but me and my friend on big kites were the only ones kiting apart from a few foilers.

On a regular twin tip it is much harder to ride upwind on a big kite, so I need a bit more wind. I would assume around 12 knots, but don't quote me on that, as it depends on stuff like tides etc. When there's more wind, it's much easier to go upwind on 18m2, so I don't quite get some comments stating the opposite.

Regarding jumping. Obviously you will not jump big in 10 knots, at least not on my setup. I don't usually use my 18m2, when I know I will be able to ride a 13m2, so there's not many of those sessions for me, when I am really powered on 18m2. Having stated that a couple of sessions ago, when I arrived at the beach the wind was kinda dying and I pumped up the 18. After I finished the task, the wind picked back up and most of the people were ok on 12-13m2 kites. They were not lit though, so it was ranging around 14-18 knots probably. I still launched my 18m2 assuming the wind would drop soon. It didn't. I had a blast though in this wind with good, high jumps. A very important thing though is good edging technique. Without that you will struggle and the kite will be controlling you. A big kite can get really powerful and you have to force it to the edge of the wind window. This is very similar to riding overpowered on a smaller kite, you need good control for that.

I would not recommend a huge kite for beginners or early intermediates.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu May 27, 2021 12:19 pm

I think "stating the opposite" in terms of being able to go upwind would be related to power (not sure). If you are slightly overpowered on a 17m (or similar) it is tougher to go upwind. Not anything different than going upwind with my 9m Enduro (with the right power) is easier than going upwind with my 12m Enduro (with the right power). When I'm really powered with my 17m I can just forget body dragging upwind if I lose my board.

Disagree on big kites for beginners. Obviously comes down to conditions a bit, but the kite I used the most as a beginner was my Zephyr. In 15-16 knots it is an excellent kite to learn on in my opinion (not sure if that is what the OP is after though). Only got to be a bit careful not getting overpowered.

Return to “Kitesurfing”