North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Adding a Big Air kite to my quiver

Postby glfmkg » Fri May 28, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi All,

A bit of background: I'm 220lb, being riding for 100 sessions since last summer and I can now jump around 7m and land them with my quiver of Airush 2019 Ultras (9-12-14) primarily using a Ocean Rodeo Mako 165 or my Cabrinha Spectrum 144. At my weight and my kiting location I get most boost days using my 12meter, so I'm thinking to add a 12 meter kite to my quiver that is designed for big air for those 'boosting kind of days' - I also find the 12m to the most comfortable size for me. I do have a 7m Airush Wave which I used 4 times only and also have a 17m Ozone Zephyr which I use in very light wind days with a Spleene Monster Door board.

Since I have 2 2019 Airush Cleat bars, low V, and based on the advised I received on another post and local availability of kites where I live I have narrow it down to the following:

- Airush Lift
- North Orbit
- Ozone Edge
- Naish Pivot
- Ocean Rodeo Crave HL series

I'm leaning towards the Airush Lift as I love the kites I have, however since is a new kite, there isn't many reviews and comparison out there with the other kites. I only tested the Lift and Orbit as the other kites are hard to get demos.

What do you think? What pros and cons from those kites and what would be best for my level of progression. The goal for this kite is keep progressing to higher jumps as I feel like the Ultras (single struts) are now the limiting factor in my progression. I normally would use a 12m with at least 18 knots up to 25 easily - in other words, when most people are in 9s I'm on a 12m.

Thanks for your feedback.
G.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Adding a Big Air kite to my quiver

Postby Havre » Fri May 28, 2021 6:40 pm

The Crave seems a bit out of place?

I'm in the same weight class as you are. I have never ridden the Pivot, but I suspect the ones going really high with that kite is slightly lighter than us - even if Kevin is hardly a tiny man.

I have no view on which 5-struts to go for. I was planning to go for the Orbit before Covid-19 stopped me from travelling in January. But I really couldn't say that the Orbit is a better kite than the Lift or the Edge. Never had any issues with Ozone since I started riding Ozone back in 2015 or something, but figure I would like to try something different just to try something different. Whatever I do with my new quiver it will be 5 struts (unless some new material means you can get away with fewer - for us heavier riders).

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Fri May 28, 2021 7:09 pm

Havre wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:40 pm
The Crave seems a bit out of place?

I'm in the same weight class as you are. I have never ridden the Pivot, but I suspect the ones going really high with that kite is slightly lighter than us - even if Kevin is hardly a tiny man.

I have no view on which 5-struts to go for. I was planning to go for the Orbit before Covid-19 stopped me from travelling in January. But I really couldn't say that the Orbit is a better kite than the Lift or the Edge. Never had any issues with Ozone since I started riding Ozone back in 2015 or something, but figure I would like to try something different just to try something different. Whatever I do with my new quiver it will be 5 struts (unless some new material means you can get away with fewer - for us heavier riders).
yes the crave is less boosting of the bunch, but it is available from my dealer and it does say "big air" on the description :-) I take that 5 struts is the way to go for guys in our weight, that's good to know.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri May 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Would recommend you a Duotone Rebel or Core XR7. The Ozone Edge can also be made to work.

I weigh ~96 kg at the moment and love Big Air, hitting jumps in the 15m-16m range.

If you are hitting 7m jumps, an Intermediate booster kite like the Rebel or XR7 will help you progress alot while giving you a good time.

The Orbit is a great Adv+ Big Air kite but you need more skill to make it shine and from your description, I dont think you are there yet. I tested an Orbit on a gusty day with major gusts and lulls. All of the lighter weight riders who tested it complained about weak low end power during the lulls. I had no complaints at all about the kite and was riding the same size as guys 40kg lighter. To be fair I do huge numbers of kite loops of different shapes and power levels and I load up almost all of the time. I also had a board that complemented the deeper in the window Orbit with strong upwind drive. Even during the lulls I was able to elevator up some neat easy jumps. The other riders were just vanilla boosting and did not have my skill level nor my comfort/knowledge of kite loops - and this kite is MADE for kite loops.

As far as the Pivot, if you are interested in a Pivot with modifications for Big Air that would be what a Reedin Supermodel is - a modified Pivot aimed at Big Air. The Pivot originally started as a wave kite but gained popularity when Kevin Langeree won KOTA with it. Kevin left Naish to create Reedin and the Supermodel kite is basically a modified Pivot for Big Air. So if you are at all considering a Pivot, go for the Supermodel instead. The kite requires working it alot and also benefits from lots of kiteloops with a smooth, even power distribution throughout the kiteloop (instead of hitting you all at once at the start or end of the loop); I do not think its ideal for your current skill level.

The Edge is an example of an extremely Beginner/Intermediate jumper kite; the Rebel or XR7 are more nimble and will enable you to learn more tricks while the Edge will get you a few extra meters of altitude but will not be as versatile for tricks.

Never tried an OR Crave, OR has not been making jumper kiters lately.

Ditto Airush - never had anyone catch my attention on an Airrush Lift.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post (total 2):
Gestalt (Fri May 28, 2021 10:22 pm) • andrzej351 (Fri May 28, 2021 11:06 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 pm

Hmmmm.... Is it me or no big air kite would help this dude while he's riding any of these huge boards?

I'd say - get a normal-sized board first (138-140 tops), get comfortable riding and boosting while being really powered and then come back to the question of purchasing another kite. It's not like there's a lack of choices out there... Orbit, XR6/7, etc... But in the current equation - given your weight - it ain't about the kite. IMHO.
These users thanked the author alexeyga for the post:
FLandOBX (Sat May 29, 2021 12:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm

At 100kg a 144 Spectrum is neither super huge nor heavy.

The Mako King can jump HUGE but those landings are going to take it out in your knees. I used to own one and was impressed with jump height however its not ideal for landing impact.

I hit my all time highs on 142 and 145 boards jumping up about 65 ft.

I would say he is ok on boards with that 144, get an easy cruiser freeride kite and continue skilling up before getting a small board and/or advanced kite.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:47 pm

dracop wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:41 pm
Would recommend you a Duotone Rebel or Core XR7. The Ozone Edge can also be made to work.

I weigh ~96 kg at the moment and love Big Air, hitting jumps in the 15m-16m range.

If you are hitting 7m jumps, an Intermediate booster kite like the Rebel or XR7 will help you progress alot while giving you a good time.

The Orbit is a great Adv+ Big Air kite but you need more skill to make it shine and from your description, I dont think you are there yet. I tested an Orbit on a gusty day with major gusts and lulls. All of the lighter weight riders who tested it complained about weak low end power during the lulls. I had no complaints at all about the kite and was riding the same size as guys 40kg lighter. To be fair I do huge numbers of kite loops of different shapes and power levels and I load up almost all of the time. I also had a board that complemented the deeper in the window Orbit with strong upwind drive. Even during the lulls I was able to elevator up some neat easy jumps. The other riders were just vanilla boosting and did not have my skill level nor my comfort/knowledge of kite loops - and this kite is MADE for kite loops.

As far as the Pivot, if you are interested in a Pivot with modifications for Big Air that would be what a Reedin Supermodel is - a modified Pivot aimed at Big Air. The Pivot originally started as a wave kite but gained popularity when Kevin Langeree won KOTA with it. Kevin left Naish to create Reedin and the Supermodel kite is basically a modified Pivot for Big Air. So if you are at all considering a Pivot, go for the Supermodel instead. The kite requires working it alot and also benefits from lots of kiteloops with a smooth, even power distribution throughout the kiteloop (instead of hitting you all at once at the start or end of the loop); I do not think its ideal for your current skill level.

The Edge is an example of an extremely Beginner/Intermediate jumper kite; the Rebel or XR7 are more nimble and will enable you to learn more tricks while the Edge will get you a few extra meters of altitude but will not be as versatile for tricks.

Never tried an OR Crave, OR has not been making jumper kiters lately.

Ditto Airush - never had anyone catch my attention on an Airrush Lift.
Yes thank you, I was trying to avoid XRs and Rebels as I would need a new bar to use them properly. Your suggestion about the Supermodel is a good one.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 pm
Hmmmm.... Is it me or no big air kite would help this dude while he's riding any of these huge boards?

I'd say - get a normal-sized board first (138-140 tops), get comfortable riding and boosting while being really powered and then come back to the question of purchasing another kite. It's not like there's a lack of choices out there... Orbit, XR6/7, etc... But in the current equation - given your weight - it ain't about the kite. IMHO.
Thank you. I'm 6'5" so a 144 feels very short to me and I can hold a lot of power on my Mako as well, however I agree with you that it is not just the kite and the board :-) I need to get better, however I was looking for a kite that would make that process easier. The ultra can hold some much power before it bends and I can see the kite working hard to lift me as the tips cave in like crazy when I get my 220lb plus full cold water gear in the air :-)

In your opinion I should stick to the Ultra and keep getting better at it?

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Fri May 28, 2021 9:52 pm

dracop wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm
At 100kg a 144 Spectrum is neither super huge nor heavy.

The Mako King can jump HUGE but those landings are going to take it out in your knees. I used to own one and was impressed with jump height however its not ideal for landing impact.

I hit my all time highs on 142 and 145 boards jumping up about 65 ft.

I would say he is ok on boards with that 144, get an easy cruiser freeride kite and continue skilling up before getting a small board and/or advanced kite.
Yes the Mako has no issues holding the edge and also can jump as good as any, but you are right, my knees do hurt a bit after 50 jumps in a session LOL. What easy cruiser freeride kite are you recommending?

Thank you!
G.

jhonson
Medium Poster

Postby jhonson » Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 am

CF Hyper more power then Orbit , low V , more low end then XR .

Return to “Kitesurfing”