Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Gone full circle and back what I enjoy most

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 am

plummet wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm
So.....
I deviated for a few years hydrofoiling. I had fun, did some epic adventure kiting up and down the coast line. Enjoyed the speed and flow of foiling. I never got on with hydrofoil jumping. Wave riding on the hydrofoiling can be thrilling for the challenge of it.

But!

I have more fun when i'm blazing on the mutant. blasting the shallows. Boosting off the waves going out, slashing them up coming back it.
That is my jam. That is what I like in the kitesurfing world. Boost and waveride.

Ahhhh..... Its good to be back blazing and boosting waves.

Who else have gone full circle and back to there first love of what ever type of kitesurfing you most?
Toldja you would end up giving it up ;)

I think if we had better waves here I think I'd have more fun on a mutant than on a surfboard too. My Mako 150 is a bit small... though it is very, very good fun. I just can't get the hang of going upwind on surfboards...!

And I really don't think I've got the time or inclination to learn to ride goofy -- I'd rather just get stronger on my natural side.

Going to make another one?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 29, 2021 3:54 am

Eduardo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:25 am
It's all about local conditions. If you give me a choice to go any where in the world then it would be side-off waves peeling off of a reef on a surf board. But in bay chop, a surf board is not so exciting so I would have more fun foiling or TT big air if the wind is strong enough. When in Rome...
Yep. Rarely gets over 20 knots here and I've given up using huge kites and TT for piddling little jumps, so all I do pretty much is foil. Back home it's a different story altogether -- foiling is usually a last ditch effort to ride that day or just a warm up for the TT session :D

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sat May 29, 2021 6:30 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 am
plummet wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm
So.....
I deviated for a few years hydrofoiling. I had fun, did some epic adventure kiting up and down the coast line. Enjoyed the speed and flow of foiling. I never got on with hydrofoil jumping. Wave riding on the hydrofoiling can be thrilling for the challenge of it.

But!

I have more fun when i'm blazing on the mutant. blasting the shallows. Boosting off the waves going out, slashing them up coming back it.
That is my jam. That is what I like in the kitesurfing world. Boost and waveride.

Ahhhh..... Its good to be back blazing and boosting waves.

Who else have gone full circle and back to there first love of what ever type of kitesurfing you most?
Toldja you would end up giving it up ;)

I think if we had better waves here I think I'd have more fun on a mutant than on a surfboard too. My Mako 150 is a bit small... though it is very, very good fun. I just can't get the hang of going upwind on surfboards...!

And I really don't think I've got the time or inclination to learn to ride goofy -- I'd rather just get stronger on my natural side.

Going to make another one?
I haven't given up the foiling. Its relegated to weather that doesn't allow for glorious mutant boost and wave ride sessions.

Am I going to make another mutant? Yes.
This one is an efficient as hell and an awesoeme light wind charger and big wave shredder. But my previous one had more nose rocker and was better in smaller steeper waves and higher wind boosting. I tend to bury the nose a bit on short steep waves and cant hold quite the same edge when powered.
So,,,, At some stage I will build another with more rocker to give back a bit of edge holding and steep face riding ability....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat May 29, 2021 6:54 pm

for me it was always about jumping.
shortly did additionally racing...and every race I finished with a jump...because going around wasn't kiting for me ;-)

So, basically never left my jumping world and don't plan to. 21 years of Airstyle, strictly hooked...and still so many tricks to land...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 29, 2021 10:01 pm

I've gone full circle too.

Kitesurfing started and we were on directionals the first year's.
Then TwinTips.
Then Mutants.
Then super small strapped waveboards.
Then big strapless waveboards.
Then freeraceboards.
And occasionally still out jumping on a TT.

The last 8 years back to the start, solely directionals again, small or big waves :thumb:
With or without foils/wings.

8) Peter

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 am

Foiling and now wing foiling is driven by the brands in an attempt to sell goods. Nothing against any of it but that's what it's about.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 30, 2021 1:57 am

Nope.

Onward thanks very much.

I’m stoked you know your thing, good on you. Wish I Had your conditions, but round here, my current set up is sooooooo much better than any of my previous kits.

I kept my favourite gear from each stage. A pretty sweet wake set up, A killer small wave surfboard and one fur bigger days, kites to match, a nicely curated collection really, but it sits gathering dust. Foiling is just the most viable way forward here.

Today’s novelty session is a case in point. Scored a back lake in an atypical wind direction at a spot I have only ever ridden on snow. Killer session at a spot that’s basically unthinkable before foiling.

I’m a simple man, a foil simply affords more time on the water than I ever imagined possible around here.
38215DE5-792D-40ED-93E9-250539639AC9.jpeg
Last edited by jumptheshark on Sun May 30, 2021 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Kamikuza (Sun May 30, 2021 10:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun May 30, 2021 2:33 am

Yup.
I'm glad to hear that you've mastered each discipline and have no choice but to move on to something new, a true virtuoso indeed!

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Sun May 30, 2021 7:07 am

+1.

Kiting since 2004, a few years short of turning 50 and have had periods low and then increased inspiration, usually brought on by new activities like strapless wave riding, snow and foiling. Also seen the incentive migrate towards the social aspect and sharing an experience in the company of close friends, traveling to a good spot and just hanging out for a week, kiting, eating and sharing a bottle of rum. All in all the sport keeps channeling the most enjoyable and remeberable moments close to nature, relaxation and friends.

Having said that, after three years of foiling bonanza and having recently found myself totally stoked after a few jump/blasting sessions on the TT, I just got myself a new TT-set with an Ozone Torque board and a set of Enduros. Its all good, and I happily let my focus shift over time, discover and now re-discover why I love doing this. Still cannot se myself winging back and forth though with that bastard sized board and two(!) leashes...

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun May 30, 2021 7:40 am

alford wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:33 am
Yup.
I'm glad to hear that you've mastered each discipline and have no choice but to move on to something new, a true virtuoso indeed!
I think you misread!

It’s a numbers thing.

In so many places, foiling = loads more good times on the water. Virtuoso or not, you could be Arron Hadlow and Mitu Monteiro all rolled in one but if your not foiling, well, around here at least, your just not gonna get out much!

Return to “Kitesurfing”