Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gone full circle and back what I enjoy most

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 am

alford wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 am
Foiling and now wing foiling is driven by the brands in an attempt to sell goods. Nothing against any of it but that's what it's about.

Of course, but it is the other way around.

What we prefer to ride, most of us, is what they make and sell.

So we as buyers are in control here, and seen as a group, the products are driven by us :thumb:

It's not brands trying to push something out.
Yes, sometimes they offer something new - and we can like or dislike it, and that is what determines whether it will die again, or not.

Take the mutants and the freeraceboards - they are pretty much extinct now, as (almost) nobody wants to ride these.

It is not because they did not offer these - they did, for years, but after some time noone bought these as people backed off again and went TT combined with surfboards instead of mutants (the best of two worlds instead of something equally bad at both), and low cost freeride foilboards instead of freeraceboards.

Yes, there are a few riders that prefer something pretty much extinct, either because we like it, or because we have conditions where it is the best solution, true - but it does not affect the fact that it is us as riders in total who dictates what will be produced.

You get it to sound like it is bad, they try to sell goods?
It is not, they will sell what we want to buy, it is a good thing, and prices goes down a bit when numbers and brands goes up (but not much though, agreed) :naughty:

8) Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 pm
Foiling just smooths it out too much to be considered a rollercoaster ride.
Then you're doing it wrong :D smooths out the chop but there's plenty going on beneath the surface. Sure, there's no point in "smacking the lip" but bouncing between the barrels is fun. Foiling is more about carving to me, like skiing powder, and less about spraying snow :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 am

plummet wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:30 pm
I haven't given up the foiling. Its relegated to weather that doesn't allow for glorious mutant boost and wave ride sessions.

Am I going to make another mutant? Yes.
This one is an efficient as hell and an awesoeme light wind charger and big wave shredder. But my previous one had more nose rocker and was better in smaller steeper waves and higher wind boosting. I tend to bury the nose a bit on short steep waves and cant hold quite the same edge when powered.
So,,,, At some stage I will build another with more rocker to give back a bit of edge holding and steep face riding ability....
Thought you'd decided you'd rather mountain bike on those days? :wink:

Weather that doesn't allow for boost sessions is all we got here :roll: the other gweilo in the area turned up today, and he slogged about for an hour on a 17m kite and surfboard/TT. I buzzed about on my 8m wave kite had a great old time for two hours :lol:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 30, 2021 11:15 am

Toby wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:54 pm
for me it was always about jumping.
shortly did additionally racing...and every race I finished with a jump...because going around wasn't kiting for me ;-)

So, basically never left my jumping world and don't plan to. 21 years of Airstyle, strictly hooked...and still so many tricks to land...
Same. I actually started snowboarding looking for big jumps, but the fields here didn't supply the slopes and ramps, and if they did they made you sign waivers. And I kept hurting myself...

I keep meaning to learn more tricks, but end up just doing the basics and enjoying flying. I like to fly :lol:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun May 30, 2021 7:03 pm

I hear you. The drive to learn a new aspect of the sport or another sport altogether (i.e. winging) can drive all your time on the water. Sometimes, you have to step back and ask yourself if you are having any fun doing it.

Kudos to you for learning to hydrofoil, I have not been willing to take the time to learn. Even on the light days, I would rather be on a 21m foil doing front and back rolls than crashing on a foilboard.

There is no better feeling than ripping waves and boosting high, except for perhaps, ripping POW and gliding high while snowkiting.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/695/730/600/637 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, Rally 7m, SST 7m, W695 wing, 70cm mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm

I did worry a bit about preserving my twintip skills since I almost stopped riding it yet I had great fun in OBX on shallows, channels and slicks this past trip. Not only I had fun, but foiling improved my strong side toeside tremendously and I started doing things I could never do before on a twintip.

Been resisting to wing but I winged event site on a skateboard for couple of hours and it rocked so good I guess I need a 3m wing now.

It’s all so good

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 30, 2021 7:49 pm

grigorib wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm
and I started doing things I could never do before on a twintip.
curious, what would that be?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun May 30, 2021 10:17 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:12 am
plummet wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 6:30 pm
I haven't given up the foiling. Its relegated to weather that doesn't allow for glorious mutant boost and wave ride sessions.

Am I going to make another mutant? Yes.
This one is an efficient as hell and an awesoeme light wind charger and big wave shredder. But my previous one had more nose rocker and was better in smaller steeper waves and higher wind boosting. I tend to bury the nose a bit on short steep waves and cant hold quite the same edge when powered.
So,,,, At some stage I will build another with more rocker to give back a bit of edge holding and steep face riding ability....
Thought you'd decided you'd rather mountain bike on those days? :wink:

Weather that doesn't allow for boost sessions is all we got here :roll: the other gweilo in the area turned up today, and he slogged about for an hour on a 17m kite and surfboard/TT. I buzzed about on my 8m wave kite had a great old time for two hours :lol:
Yes I do MTB when the wind is shit. Or more to the point. MTB is my primary sport i'll do 3 riders per week and 1 kitesurf if conditions are favourable. There are times when foil is fun. But mutant boost and ride is more fun. So I take boost and ride first, foil second.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 pm
plummet wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:26 pm

I have more fun when i'm blazing on the mutant. blasting the shallows. Boosting off the waves going out, slashing them up coming back it.
That is my jam. That is what I like in the kitesurfing world. Boost and waveride.

Ahhhh..... Its good to be back blazing and boosting waves.
Lol….. have used a mutant since they first arrived - in ‘02 or ‘03 & never stopped. Sadly, “proper” mutants are no longer produced, but Simon @ Nomad still has my rocker template ( I hope!!).
Thats pretty much why i make my own mutants.... But i'm seeing a few come through in the last couple of years that look interesting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun May 30, 2021 10:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 am
alford wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:21 am
Foiling and now wing foiling is driven by the brands in an attempt to sell goods. Nothing against any of it but that's what it's about.

Take the mutants and the freeraceboards - they are pretty much extinct now, as (almost) nobody wants to ride these.

It is not because they did not offer these - they did, for years, but after some time noone bought these as people backed off again and went TT combined with surfboards instead of mutants (the best of two worlds instead of something equally bad at both), and low cost freeride foilboards instead of freeraceboards.

Yes, there are a few riders that prefer something pretty much extinct, either because we like it, or because we have conditions where it is the best solution, true - but it does not affect the fact that it is us as riders in total who dictates what will be produced.

8) Peter
What I have seen in the last couple of years is a bit of a mutant comeback.

What I find interesting re TT V mutant is that if you design the mutant well it can do everything the TT does. It just happens to be better when you turn onto a wave and ride it.
this is my experience.

So.... I find it amusing that surf orientated dudes would have a sb and TT. Why not SB and mutant?

Return to “Kitesurfing”