Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

PFD for kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: PFD for kiting

Postby beebad » Sun May 30, 2021 3:45 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm
I have a pile of about 15 pfds all streamlined designs from many years of whitewater paddling and outfitting groups so it was pretty easy to pick one out that worked well on me for kiteboarding. The one I use has supple / more flexible foam that also is rather thin and flogged out, the foam is pretty much only an inch thick. It does work well with a waist harness too at least for me (I have a real long torso) and I daresay it even helps a bit to keep waist harness down. Useful pocket on front to stick gloves in etc. and of course it has a river knife attachment point so I keep a slim knife handy that is much better than a standard tiny hook knife.

Flotation-wise I would not give it to someone for serious river use any more, but it is perfect for kite application.
Impact-wise I must say it helps soften the smack.
Mobility-wise it certainly hinders some (depending on what movements) compared to wearing nothing, but I have seen too many people struggling for air including myself to not wear it.

The thing is - it doesn’t matter how fit you are, you can be an endurance swimming god - But when you end up with an injury, like a dislocated shoulder or just knocked senseless for a minute, the list of possible injuries is long, you name it, you WILL need help keeping your head above water, let alone make it back to shore when you’re way out. You cannot rely on the board or kite to be there to float you. The water may even only be knee deep or less, but when you are injured and shit is fucked, you will drown without flotation, and maybe still even then, but at least your chances are improved with flotation on, by a lot.

Maybe your riding style is so soft and lame that you think you’ll never get injured kiting. Think again boys. You go out enough times and its going to happen, and when it does you will thank YOURSELF for putting it on all those times just in case. Random health things happen too like virtigo/delirium , strokes/minor heart attacks , even global amnesia (seen it happen) that just cannot be predicted, and flotation will make a huge difference in whether that event turns into drowning or not.

That said, do whatever you want of course. I think this sport clearly attracts risk takers. But if you have a family dependent on you , or you just want to kite again another day, it is the responsible choice to wear flotation.
Well written. I am staying on the side of caution since many of us are not spring chickens. All the things you mention are true. It. Is why I want to wear the smallest functional pfd i can find…. Remember, you won’t ever need it, until you need it. Thanks.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun May 30, 2021 3:48 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm
I think this sport clearly attracts risk takers.
Since I am apparently "only here to disagree and start arguments", let me try to find fault with the only part of your post that I can.

This sport does not attract "risk takers". It attracts idiots who put fashion, looking cool, feeling like a "Barney-bad-a$$" ABOVE common sense, courtesy, and conscientiousness. And its truly funny when you can see right through thier facade to the nervous shakiness underneath.

Just like with helmets, there is always a large contingent in the kitesurfing community who attempt to justify thier own insecurity about being seen wearing safety gear. Personally, I too am for freedom of choice - I dont want to have a mandate for certain safety gear. But I cant stand those spreading justification for thier own insecurities, because those justifications seem to have an infectiousness to them. And as we have seen in other threads about fatalities, that infectiousness can prove fatal.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
beebad (Sun May 30, 2021 6:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 am

What about a self inflating vest like this:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/8821747 ... ve_3&crt=1

I have no experience with one of these. I have been happily using my LQF impact vest for a couple of years, but the zip just gave out. Wearing a full wet suit offers a lot of buoyancy, but I don't like being out foiling - sometimes far from shore - without some kind of buoyancy aid. The LQF impact vest was very tight fitting & made my waist harness stay in place, so even without the buoyancy it was a good piece of gear. The self inflating life jacket would offer great buoyancy in an emergency, but obviously would not work on keeping the harness in place & presumably would be pretty awkward to swim with.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Mon May 31, 2021 1:13 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:09 am
What about a self inflating vest like this:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/8821747 ... ve_3&crt=1

I have no experience with one of these. I have been happily using my LQF impact vest for a couple of years, but the zip just gave out. Wearing a full wet suit offers a lot of buoyancy, but I don't like being out foiling - sometimes far from shore - without some kind of buoyancy aid. The LQF impact vest was very tight fitting & made my waist harness stay in place, so even without the buoyancy it was a good piece of gear. The self inflating life jacket would offer great buoyancy in an emergency, but obviously would not work on keeping the harness in place & presumably would be pretty awkward to swim with.
buoyancy of 150N would be desired if surfing somewhere like mavericks... where you need to get your noggin to the surface asap before the next stadium full of water comes crashing on your head.
..or maybe on a pleasure boat for those guests that can't swim a lick.

impact vests i do not believe are rated as life preservers.. and they won't automatically keep your head above the water.

i probably gdo o out further than i should with kites i usually can't relaunch... but whenever i had to do that 3+ hour paddle back i dont worry... i just look at the self rescue as "punishment" for me letting the kite hit the water. (i always wear pfd when kiting offshore behind reef breaks)
...but for my purposes of buoyancy of 50N is perfect. doesnt impede swimming (too much) but keeps me at surface.(can direct more energy towards swimming to shore)

i occasionally use a restube. (with and without the impact vesr)

never used in the water. (knock on wood)
my purpose...
if i lost the board and had to ditch kite.. i''d paddle back on the banana buoy.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:37 am

beebad wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:52 am
I sometimes wear a helmet and usually wear my (lightwave dave) impact vest but always wished I had some more buoyant at times in case something happened.

REI has this NRS Ninja PFD that I ordered to see if it will not be too kooky and bulky.

I looked at the NP high hook as well

https://www.nrs.com/product/40013.04/nrs-ninja-pfd

I dont know if you cannot get around a bulky pfd for kiteboarding.
I got this in the mail today, MEMORIAL DAY? I put it on and it is pretty bulky. The hand pockets , the double slices of foam, and the pocket make the front bulkiness unnecessary imo. Probably good for other sports not KB. Imo. The front sticks out too much. I wear a seat harness. I will take this REI and order something else. Sorry.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:24 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 pm
..and i recently started using their new flow neo vest..
it is less bulking but gives same floatation.

This looks just right to me. Thin / Flexy but still enough flotation.
Although I am happy with my current one it’s seen a lot of use. Might have to get one of those flow neo. Thanks elguapo
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
beebad (Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Do the "handles" for the harness hook on the Flo Neo work well to keep the harness in place & prevent the vest from riding up?

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:24 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 pm
..and i recently started using their new flow neo vest..
it is less bulking but gives same floatation.

This looks just right to me. Thin / Flexy but still enough flotation.
Although I am happy with my current one it’s seen a lot of use. Might have to get one of those flow neo. Thanks elguapo
I wish there was someone who carried this locally. The website says it run 1/2 size smaller, so a large is really an medium and a ahalf? The shop i have purchased stuff online from, gulfportboardsports (tommy), carries this product. Looks promising. Thanks

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:18 am

I tried on a few pfds at rei, the flow neo look good but no way to try one on….

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:17 am

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Do the "handles" for the harness hook on the Flo Neo work well to keep the harness in place & prevent the vest from riding up?

yes. exactly
HARNESS LOOP
>TO PREVENT THE RIDE-UP COMMONLY SEEN ON SOME PFD
i use a rope slider.. so cant speak of the effectiveness

i personally would not size up..
it does fits tight...tight like a wetsuit. and like a wetsuit it feels perfect in water.

my only (very mild) complaint so far..
there is excess "space" around small of back (while tight/perfect everywhere else)..
more likely they made it to fit a waist harness
since i use a seat harness.. it just feels like i'm wearing a vest made for the "dad body".. like they left space for my future love handles to grow into.

i know.. minor annoyance.
(but i am i'm seriously thinking about just cutting off the bottom part... going "crop top" style)

Return to “Kitesurfing”