Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 150lbs
Gear: 12m RPM slingshot
7m liquid force solo
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner board for lake chop

Postby Marty21 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:56 pm

Hello all. I got into snowkiting over the winter and had many good sessions and have just transitioned to water. I've had 2 successful sessions on Minnesota lakes with my 7m liquid force solo and 146cm edge, but I am not handling the chop well. I'm sure I'll be fine with it on days with less wind when I can use my 12m RPM but am wondering if there is a board that will suit me better for the chop on windy days.

I'm also perfectly willing to accept if it's just a matter of needed more experience, which seems like a good possibility.

Please advise, thanks, Marty.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Beginner board for lake chop.

Postby Blackened » Mon May 31, 2021 11:50 pm

Marty21 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:56 pm
Hello all. I got into snowkiting over the winter and had many good sessions and have just transitioned to water. I've had 2 successful sessions on Minnesota lakes with my 7m liquid force solo and 146cm edge, but I am not handling the chop well. I'm sure I'll be fine with it on days with less wind when I can use my 12m RPM but am wondering if there is a board that will suit me better for the chop on windy days.

I'm also perfectly willing to accept if it's just a matter of needed more experience, which seems like a good possibility.

Please advise, thanks, Marty.
The Edge is a beginner board. It'll be relatively flat and inflexible for early planning, which is what you want as a beginner. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to handle chop particularly well.

The best chop boards have a decent/medium rocker and relatively flexible tips. It's still never super easy to ride in chop, but it definitely makes life easier. The downside is that you'll need more power to be able to ride. The board will be slower through the water, but much more comfortable. A few brands have a comfort freeride option like the Duotone Select or the Naish Hero. I think the new Slingshot Misfit has gone from a big air rocketship to a more freeride oriented board. A lot of people user wakestyle boards for chop as well. It's what I used when I regularly rode chop - like a Duotone Gambler or a Cabrinha CBL.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Marty21 (Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Beginner board for lake chop.

Postby SMJ » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 am

The Ocean Rodeo Mako is legendary in chop; I own two of them the 165 and the 150. The 165 gets a LOT of use.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
Marty21 (Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:22 am)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Beginner board for lake chop

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:24 am

In freshwater, with gusty winds on an inland lake, the fact is that you probably just need more experience.

That's not easy conditions, even for an experienced rider, and I know, from experience.

While I'm not familiar with this particular board, flat, low rocker and early planning is exactly what you need in your local conditions.

Perhaps you were just overpowered?

Eventually, you'll probably find out that your solo works much better than your rpm at your spot. The solo works amazingly well on the lower-end of it's usable wind range.
Last edited by Trent hink on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:42 am

+1 for the Ocean Rodeo Mako series of boards. The very first one was 150 x 34 cm ( if memory serves me right ) with that super-deep concave and went through chop like the proverbial hot knife going through butter. In many ways that board was more like being on a slalom waterski.

Alternate option is the OR Smothy, a double-concave bottom design that also quite good in chop.
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:57 am

I always thought the liquid force "Edge" 146 handled the chop pretty much superior to any other board with it's same good upwind capabilities.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:

Marty21
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 150lbs
Gear: 12m RPM slingshot
7m liquid force solo

Postby Marty21 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a duotone select,
Trent hink wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:24 am

Eventually, you'll probably find out that your solo works much better than your rpm at your spot. The solo works amazingly well on the lower-end of it's usable wind range.
I am kind of finding that already, any time the sustained wind is low enough for me to use the RPM it seems to gust to double that speed. We do occasionally get pretty steady winds in the 20-25mph range and the 7m solo has felt pretty good in that. It's a shame they aren't made anymore.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:11 pm

Marty21 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Thank you for all the replies. I ordered a duotone select,
You'll really enjoy it. A friend of mine recently swapped to the Select from the Jaime. He finds it a lot easier to load in chop than getting bounced off his edge by the Jaime.

Have fun :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”