Cabarete Kite beach
Style: Freeride
Gear: Crazy fly Raptor TT, Ride engine harness, F-one Bandit kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Twin Tip freeride board

Postby Leo L » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 am

Hi All,

I am about to get a new freeride/all-round tt board.
I am a beginner looking for a board that will stay with me much after I will become "intermediate" and more.

I am thinking on one of the three:
1. Nobile NHP.
2. Crazyfly raptor.
3. North atmos.

Which one will be the best in terms of freeride performances (doable in all water condition, edge hard for jump, upwind abilities, carving, jumps, lands and more)?

I am 85 kg.

does the 137*43 in the raptor is big enough for my weight?

For the NHP they have both sizes that can fit my weight - 142*43 and 139*42.
I feel like the 142 will be too big and that the 139 will be too small (because it is just 42 in its width).
Am I right?

Thank you all

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Twin Tip freeride board

Postby Blackened » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 pm

I haven't ridden the NHP, but I currently own a Raptor and an Atmos Carbon. However, I ordered a normal Atmos 2022 for when they come out because I'm old and can't handle the carbon.

Overall, there isn't a lot between the boards. The Raptor is slightly stiffer and has a little more grip than the Atmos. It also upwinds a little better. The (normal) Atmos is a little more comfortable in chop and better on landings. I also think the Atmos has slightly better acceleration.

For sizing, my boards are 137/138/139x** at 100kg and 1.92m. For the Atmos, this is 138x41 and the Raptor 137x43. For learning, a size bigger will definitely help learning upwind, but both these boards truck upwind pretty well.

Personally, I prefer the Atmos for big air out of the two. However, as a beginner, you'll appreciate the slightly better upwind on the Raptor and GREATLY appreciate the bright green base. I've spent a lot of time body dragging around looking for boards in chop/waves over the years. The water blue Atmos or the black Atmos Carbon are PITAs. As an added bonus, Crazyfly has a 3yr warranty and they coat the base with something that toughens it.

Stargoose
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 87
Gear: Nobile NHP 134x42
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Twin Tip freeride board

Postby Stargoose » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Hi there,

I ride a 2013 NHP in 134x42 and I still love it. I weight 85 +/-2 kg and I kite when the wind is fine (15kn+).

When I started kiteboarding I got myself a F-One TX4 that was 39 or 40 wide and very stiff. I got used to it quickly and learned upwind very fast, maybe in 3 to 4 days (I think because it gave me so much stability cutting through choppy water). Loved this board!
For whatever stupid reason I sold it because I had to have the Nobile T5 (I think it was for the design, whatever). Not at all my cup of tea! Way too soft and sold it after 2 weeks of riding it.
Switched to the NHP mentioned above and this was definitely a match (very much like the TX4 actually).

Currently I'm in the market for the NHP Carbon Split and I will go for the 139x42. It is very confusing that Nobile on their website indicate 85kg+ for the 142x43 and 75kg+ for the 139x42. When you look at the smallest size however, they state a range: 60 to 85kg (for the regular NHP it is not written on their website but at the NHP Carbon and the Split versions you can find it). The only alternative for me would be the F-One Trax Carbon, but there is no split version of it.

It might be true that you will drink somewhat more water in the beginning when choosing a smaller size, but pretty sure you will be fine with the 139x42, and you will progress much faster as it is not sooo forgiving and "less wobbly".
Of course, this is not a low wind board. But the bigger size isn't either because all sizes of this boards have a quite a rocker that need some power to get it going.

All this is just my experience and my personal preference. Other people will tell you different. If you have a chance, try the board. If not, don't worry too much, you'll be fine. All boards out there fine and the size you are looking is right in the middle of the ranges. Not much you can do wrong.

Cheers

Return to “Kitesurfing”