board for surfing and kitesurfing

Forum for kitesurfers
Mitchel_12000
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

board for surfing and kitesurfing

Postby Mitchel_12000 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 pm

I was wondering, are there any surfboards both suitable for regular intermediate surfing and for kitesurfing in low wind conditions? I'm thinking about buying a surfboard for windless summer days with decent swell. It would be great if it can be used for some low wind kitesurfing fun too.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: board for surfing and kitesurfing

Postby Janus » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Been looking for something intermediate too.. don't think there is a intermediate surfboard you can (ab)use for kiting.. better get a decent surfboard for your surf level, will be much more fun imho

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm

I use all time in all Wind regular surf board for strapless freestyle 5.10 5.9 max ..no problem in light Wind too with bigger 13 15m kite

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North

Postby CorradoWest » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Randy French SoulFish 6'5". I have the Surftech version and it's tought as nails. Great for surfing and was my first strapless directional kiteboard.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:26 pm

6'5 fish is kind of huge no? Even for prone surfing that's a pretty big board

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:52 pm

You could find a board that works for surfing and kiting, but chances are it would be mediocre at both. I have a 5'4'' mini simmons twin fin that is standard fiberglass that I kite with in light wind with small chop. I wouldn't kite with it in waves or decent wind, but its fun to switch things up once in a while. Plus its got a ton of volume for light wind. I've surfed that board a handful of times in smaller clean waves, but I prefer a longboard in those conditions.

If you only have the budget for one board, buy the surfboard. As long as its not a log or mid-length, you can use it to kite if you just want to get on the water. The risk is damaging the board from heel dents, bouncing through chop, or jumping if you ride it hard. Depending on your location craigslist or jamboards has a decent used market for surfboards.

Jaco
Frequent Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish

Postby Jaco » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:05 am

Common topic on this forum. Been discussed at length. Link here. viewtopic.php?t=2396358&p=1127999#p1127999

Recommend going to your local surf shop and shopping the used board rack. Cheap and low consequence. Can buy a stack of used surfboards for the price of one new “kite surfboard”.

For flat water, chop and small waves, any kind of groveler style board will treat you fine for your first months. Under 6ft and less than 35l of volume, less if you’re lighter.

Break a few boards and then find a more durable version of the shape that treated you best.

Return to “Kitesurfing”