Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo 12m Roam Aluula - Review (Surf-Oriented)

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Ocean Rodeo 12m Roam Aluula - Review (Surf-Oriented)

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm

I realized based on the 14m review post that there's not a ton of reviews oriented to the 12m Roam Aluula with a focus on mostly surfboard riding. I've had the kite for roughly 9 months now and probably 50 sessions on it. I would say the split is roughly 85/15 surf to foil. Here's a quick review and comparision to non-Aluula 12m Roam (I had both generations previous).

Initial Physical Observations:
-Extremely light obviously, I didn't think it was a kite when first delivered, actually ignored the box. It's a significant difference in weight.
-Durability - I tomahawked it pretty bad on the beach one day when I got crossed up on a kiteloop, no issues. I will say the material seems to grab sand a bit more, but that's the only other observation I have. Bridles, connections, etc. all solid. I've also dumped it in the waves a few times, no issues.

Performance:
So.......what's the significant increase in performance between the non-Aluula and Aluula? I think ultimately the cost/benefit analysis comes down to how many sessions will it save/give you? If you are foiling most of the time, it is a signficant upgrade, I think that's been covered, but what about on a surfboard in waves? My primary observation on advantage is two areas:
-Upwind: I can outpoint and create a better angle to get upwind far better than on my non-Aluula Roam. I had a bit of time with both kites and it was pretty significant.
-Slack/Drift, so the other big thing is when I slack the lines going down a wave it drifts better and floats with me better. The Roam is a pretty good kite at drifting, better than the Prodigy, and far better in my opinion than the Flite. The Aluula just makes it even better.
-Low End: I think in gustier areas, it will definitely help cover the lulls. It's not going to be a noticeable difference in power, but better coverage on the lulls.
-High End: I think it has a bit more bar pressure than the non-Aluula kite, but I also have had no issues holding it down in higher winds.
-Overall Range: I covered it on the low end/high end, but to give some context, I'm roughly 175 lb/78kg, and ride a 5'4" Hydroshort. It's kinda pointless to give wind ranges because of so many variables (rider skill, current, etc.).

Ok, so should you buy it? I would say it's kinda like the upgrade to the Stick Shift bar, at first I didn't really see the significance. Then after a few sessions I started understanding that I could dump power without changing my stance which helped a ton coming into the flats on waves with the SS. Now, in waves, it's all I use.
Similar to Aluula, in waves on a surfboard there are little nuances that make it hard to go without once you are used to it.
These users thanked the author adamj2281 for the post (total 6):
Pana (Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:17 pm) • iriejohn (Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:49 pm) • Gestalt (Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:07 pm) • magnusod (Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:18 pm) • michaelb1 (Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:02 am) • Bill C (Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:45 pm)
Rating: 18.18%

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo 12m Roam Aluula - Review (Surf-Oriented)

Postby Pana » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm

The Roam 12 is also a very well balanced and fun to ride kite for riding on a TT. Enough power for my 90 kg (200 pounds) and such a pleasure to manoeuvre. Athough I have not tested the flite 12 I deduct from the 14m comparison (made a post on that) that I have little interest to test the flite in that size. Those who prioritize hang time will probably think the opposite.

I agree that having tasted the benefits (feeling & performance) of the allula construction it would be hard to go back to std LE construction, certainly for larger size kites (10 m +). Being retired I travel (ed) extended periods to kite surf and feel ( for the rest of my quiver) it is best to wait and see how the allula materials hold up over time and how easily it can be repaired in less technical counties. Same for the new hybrid series at this point in time.

Anybody having experienced allula repairs outside UE/USA/CND please add in your experiences.

Cheers!

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm

adamj2281 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm
I realized based on the 14m review post that there's not a ton of reviews oriented to the 12m Roam Aluula with a focus on mostly surfboard riding. I've had the kite for roughly 9 months now and probably 50 sessions on it. I would say the split is roughly 85/15 surf to foil. Here's a quick review and comparision to non-Aluula 12m Roam (I had both generations previous).

-Extremely light obviously, I didn't think it was a kite when first delivered, actually ignored the box. It's a significant difference in weight.
-Durability - I tomahawked it pretty bad on the beach one day when I got crossed up on a kiteloop, no issues. I will say the material seems to grab sand a bit more, but that's the only other observation I have. Bridles, connections, etc. all solid. I've also dumped it in the waves a few times, no issues.

Performance:
So.......what's the significant increase in performance between the non-Aluula and Aluula? I think ultimately the cost/benefit analysis comes down to how many sessions will it save/give you? If you are foiling most of the time, it is a signficant upgrade, I think that's been covered, but what about on a surfboard in waves? My primary observation on advantage is two areas:
-Upwind: I can outpoint and create a better angle to get upwind far better than on my non-Aluula Roam. I had a bit of time with both kites and it was pretty significant.
-Slack/Drift, so the other big thing is when I slack the lines going down a wave it drifts better and floats with me better. The Roam is a pretty good kite at drifting, better than the Prodigy, and far better in my opinion than the Flite. The Aluula just makes it even better.
-Low End: I think in gustier areas, it will definitely help cover the lulls. It's not going to be a noticeable difference in power, but better coverage on the lulls.
-High End: I think it has a bit more bar pressure than the non-Aluula kite, but I also have had no issues holding it down in higher winds.
-Overall Range: I covered it on the low end/high end, but to give some context, I'm roughly 175 lb/78kg, and ride a 5'4" Hydroshort. It's kinda pointless to give wind ranges because of so many variables (rider skill, current, etc.).

Ok, so should you buy it? I would say it's kinda like the upgrade to the Stick Shift bar, at first I didn't really see the significance. Then after a few sessions I started understanding that I could dump power without changing my stance which helped a ton coming into the flats on waves with the SS. Now, in waves, it's all I use.
Similar to Aluula, in waves on a surfboard there are little nuances that make it hard to go without once you are used to it.
What a fantastic review!! Really great to see such a down to earth review when there is so much hype going on, especially around the new materials.

When you compare it with your non-Aluula Roam is that the same year or an older model? If it's an older model some changes such as the upwind performance also could be due to design changes from year to year.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 am

magnusod wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 pm
adamj2281 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Performance:

What a fantastic review!! Really great to see such a down to earth review when there is so much hype going on, especially around the new materials.

When you compare it with your non-Aluula Roam is that the same year or an older model? If it's an older model some changes such as the upwind performance also could be due to design changes from year to year.
It would have been the previous year model. I stacked them next to each other (should have taken a picture, but I'm slack on that), and the main differential was the LE diameter being thinner on the Aluula (which probably does help with angling upwind and overall efficiency). Of course the smaller diameter LE is only possible because of the stiffer Aluula.

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:31 pm

I am a little confused about the upwind capability. Is the Aluula model better at going upwind or worse?
thx,

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:05 pm

Here is my video of the 11m roam allula last week en a hydrofoil.

Extented wind range, comfort, agility and stability.
Ideal for irregular winds (here 9-18 knots )
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:18 pm
I tested my 12m roam three times:
- Foil in 7 knots
- foil in 10-18 knots
- TT in 13-25 knots.
(...)
very easy, agile, enormous depower, very stable , jump possible but low hangtime, loops very gradual, and relaunch perfectible in light winds when on its trailing edge

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:42 am

another session recently ; I was in such a confidence to test a lot of unmastered tricks despite the irregular light wind...
Impressive agility and loop quality, and one tentative of relaunch in (too) light wind in the end
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
SENDIT! (Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:25 pm

Another session today, 7-14 knots , hydrofoil 700 cm2 freeride ketos.

Love this kite. Extremely stable, agile, instant depower, hugge range.

It brings so much confidence that during 3h non stop i tried a lot of new tricks, i progressed a lot on all transitions, jumps and kite loop tricks. Never affraid and i overpassed some fearings i had in my brain.

Impressed and very happy

tymonkerste
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Maarssen
Gear: UFO v2 5m
Pivot S26 7m+9m
Roam Aluula 10m
Hybrid 9.5
Naish Motion 134
Cabrinha Special Agent + high-rise Carve
Been thanked: 0

Postby tymonkerste » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:07 am

Hi - thanks for providing valueable information on this kite!

I am looking for a successor of my Airush Ultra v2 10m. (other kites - Pivot S26 7m2 and 9m2)
My foil - Cabrinha High Rise Carve (1050 CM2 - really good to get up early)
am using this kite for two purposes - light wind (11-15knots) foiling and TT (15-20). For TT I would like to win on the low end. For foil that would be nice to, 10 knots or so. (I don't want to go into 9 or less)

I am wondering if I should buy a 10 or 12m ROAM. I believe the 10 should be good for 10+ knots?
For TT I would benefit for the 12 (know it is less good for jumping) but I believe for foiling the 12 is overkill.

Another option is to buy 10ROAM for foiling and a 3-strut 12 (cheaper) for TT.....

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:07 pm

I was faced with the same decision and opted for the 10m ROAM.
10 knots on foil are no problem at all.
For me the 10m is a one kite solution. In combination with a TT the 10m has an insane range to use. Just swap foil and TT and you can go from 8-9 knots till 30+ on TT without effort.

Return to “Kitesurfing”