Style: Wakestyle, wave foil
Gear: Enduros 9+12
refraction 143
Dwarfcraft
Brand Affiliation: None

C kite advice/replacing duotone Vegas

Postby Icantdecideonakite » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:10 am

Hi all,

I’m currently on a set of duotone Vegas kites and I’m not sure if I like them unhooked. Compared to other c kites I’ve had, unhooked the Vegas feels very numb, doesn’t give much feedback when loading and popping, doesn’t slack that well and almost feels like a SLE.

By no means do I think it’s a bad kite. It’s a brilliant kite to fly, jumps and loops fantastically but I just feel like it’s a bit tame unhooked compared to the torches and hadlow kites I’ve had previously. All other c kites I’ve flown I’ve clicked with really well, I just don’t know why I can’t seem to get along with the Vegas.

Anyone have a similar experience?

I’m tempted to upgrade, does anyone have any recommendations?

Does anyone have experience with the razors, torches, f-one WTF?

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps
Has thanked: 0

Re: C kite advice/replacing duotone Vegas

Postby oksman » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:36 am

My latest Torch was 2008, and from that year on, I've just flown Vegas, but to be honest, I can't say I can see much difference between those kites. The 2011/2012 Vegas felt a little bit more hibrid, but it went back to it's origin in 2013 and from 2015 on it's pretty much the same design with minor improvements. For me, pure "C"s don't seem to differ much in design and performance from one brand to another. Besides the introduction of the fifth line in 2005, they all seem to be pretty much the same.
Maybe you could give a try on Core Impacts, seems like a nice kite.
Weird thing is we haven't heard anything from Duotone about the 2021 Vegas

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 am

100% get a Naish Torch, I fly 2019's and they are brilliant. The Torch is perfect unhooked, huge range and will boost massive in the right condtions. Stay away from 2017/18 Torch as they changed the profile and it lost all it's bottom end on those years. The 2020 Torch looks brilliant.

Icantdecideonakite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hayling island!
Favorite Beaches: pembrokshire baby!!!
refraction 143
Dwarfcraft

Postby Icantdecideonakite » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:45 pm

oksman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:36 am
My latest Torch was 2008, and from that year on, I've just flown Vegas, but to be honest, I can't say I can see much difference between those kites. The 2011/2012 Vegas felt a little bit more hibrid, but it went back to it's origin in 2013 and from 2015 on it's pretty much the same design with minor improvements. For me, pure "C"s don't seem to differ much in design and performance from one brand to another. Besides the introduction of the fifth line in 2005, they all seem to be pretty much the same.

Interesting that you say you don’t feel much difference between brands because a lot of the c kites I’ve flown all fly very similarly...so not really sure why I’m not getting along with my Vegas’s, I’m starting to think it may be in my head.

Icantdecideonakite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hayling island!
Favorite Beaches: pembrokshire baby!!!
refraction 143
Dwarfcraft

Postby Icantdecideonakite » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:54 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:58 am
100% get a Naish Torch, I fly 2019's and they are brilliant. The Torch is perfect unhooked, huge range and will boost massive in the right condtions. Stay away from 2017/18 Torch as they changed the profile and it lost all it's bottom end on those years. The 2020 Torch looks brilliant.
Have you flown the Vegas to compare? The last torch I flew was a 2016 and I loved it.I’m guessing they haven’t changed much since then

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm

I have never flown a Vegas, sorry can't compare. The 2016 Torch was in my opinion the best Torch ever made! The newer Torchs 19/20/21 have a bit less lower end power and a thinner leading edge, unhooked they are the ultimate kite, the Torch is also a pretty good wave kite! The Torch needs tensions on the 5th line, get it wrong and ut will not fly well.

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps
Has thanked: 0

Postby oksman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:06 am

Icantdecideonakite wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:45 pm
oksman wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:36 am

Interesting that you say you don’t feel much difference between brands because a lot of the c kites I’ve flown all fly very similarly...so not really sure why I’m not getting along with my Vegas’s, I’m starting to think it may be in my head.
Have you tried the different setups on the Vegas? They make huge difference in performance

Return to “Kitesurfing”